Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Fastest American cars on the Nurburgring

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 05:56 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by speedsquad
In 2015 Autoweek reported that the C7Z had run the "Ring" in 7.08. However, Chevrolet denied it most likely because they didn't want to take the heat regarding the ban on record runs. The denial was the result of Nurburgring officials banning record attempts after Nissan GTR took off on a high speed crest and left the track, killing a spectator. Theoretically the C7Z should run it in 7.05 according to GM engineering numbers.
If this was true GM would be publishing the time NOW since that happened 2 years ago.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:57 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts

And Perhaps a belated Viper again by Aug. after the Vette's are all sold out!

(I see they are still producing the ACR so it is onnnn!)

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 01-19-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:58 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
If this was true GM would be publishing the time NOW since that happened 2 years ago.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:12 PM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by speedsquad
In 2015 Autoweek reported that the C7Z had run the "Ring" in 7.08. However, Chevrolet denied it most likely because they didn't want to take the heat regarding the ban on record runs. The denial was the result of Nurburgring officials banning record attempts after Nissan GTR took off on a high speed crest and left the track, killing a spectator. Theoretically the C7Z should run it in 7.05 according to GM engineering numbers.
The real reason was that publishing the times would've resulted in a fine from the Nurburgring officials. The fine was said to be $12.36 and GM did not want to post this on their EDS (earnings disclosure statement). The $12.36 is what shut this down otherwise the Z06 would currently be recognized as the fastest car in the universe which is clearly why we all bought one. I personally like knowing the secret.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:32 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by sam90lx
2012 C6Z holds the 3rd quickest time, nice!
Quickest Z06 on the list to date with older technology and no power adder.
If the ZO6 had the close ratio 2.29 ratio gearbox rather than the 2.66 it would likely have ran a quicker lap than the ZR1.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:46 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by cvp33
The real reason was that publishing the times would've resulted in a fine from the Nurburgring officials. The fine was said to be $12.36 and GM did not want to post this on their EDS (earnings disclosure statement). The $12.36 is what shut this down otherwise the Z06 would currently be recognized as the fastest car in the universe which is clearly why we all bought one. I personally like knowing the secret.
but that wasn't an issue for the ZL1? interesting
Old 01-19-2017, 09:52 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

They opened the track back up when the ZL1 went. When the Z06 was testing they had all sorts of speed restrictions. I don't get why we are talking about this again.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:15 PM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by mirage2991
but that wasn't an issue for the ZL1? interesting
There was no fine in place when GM ran the ZL1's time. Another benefit is that the $12.36 savings kept us all from seeing a much higher MSRP. Imagine $12.36 divided across only 30,000 cars.......
Old 01-19-2017, 10:44 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by ElCid79
They opened the track back up when the ZL1 went. When the Z06 was testing they had all sorts of speed restrictions. I don't get why we are talking about this again.
Then why did GM announce that they had a time they were very pleased with and that it would be published very soon?
Old 01-20-2017, 12:28 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

There was no fine in place when GM ran the ZL1's time. Another benefit is that the $12.36 savings kept us all from seeing a much higher MSRP. Imagine $12.36 divided across only 30,000 cars.......
You're killing me here.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:22 AM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

We may have a chance to see what the new ACR will do ...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...cord-gofundme/

Last edited by ck9887; 01-20-2017 at 03:23 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:39 AM
ElCid79
Drifting

Originally Posted by Les
Then why did GM announce that they had a time they were very pleased with and that it would be published very soon?
Because a corporate acknowledgement that you disregarded a rule is probably not a wise decision? Corporate legal would have a field day with it.

Beyond that, to even speculate about the reasons is kind of silly. They have a time that they were very pleased with. For whatever reason GM decided not to release it. That is all that we know.

Last edited by ElCid79; 01-20-2017 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:10 AM
BladeZ06
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

I love my Z06 but it is silly that GM has not made a run with one by now. If they release a time for the ZR1 or GS then it will be beyond dumb. While they were running the 2017 ZL1 how hard would it have been to bring a 2017 Z06 too?

Seriously GM... put this to bed. Good or bad just publish the damn time.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:53 AM
Les
Race Director

Originally Posted by Les
Because a corporate acknowledgement that you disregarded a rule is probably not a wise decision? Corporate legal would have a field day with it.

Beyond that, to even speculate about the reasons is kind of silly. They have a time that they were very pleased with. For whatever reason GM decided not to release it. That is all that we know.
Please help me out here. If the Ring had all sorts of speed restrictions in place when the Z06 was testing and had to be reopened for the ZL1, how were they even able to make a run that they were very pleased with in the first place? And why wouldn't they have given that explanation, instead of making an announcement about being very pleased with the time and saying the time would be released soon? That holds about as much water as a colander.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:07 AM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
If the ZO6 had the close ratio 2.29 ratio gearbox rather than the 2.66 it would likely have ran a quicker lap than the ZR1.
If Mero had decide run the ZR1 one more time instead of the Z06 he most likely would have knocked a few more seconds off the ZR1 time. Instead they chose to run the Z06 since it hadn't recorded a time since the initial run in 2005.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:09 AM
ElCid79
Drifting

Fact - the speed restrictions existed at the time of the z06 run...

Fact - They said candidly, not in an official release, that they had a time they were pleased with.

LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE is speculation. That's my point. To answer your direct question, lets say hypothetically, again I am speculating. But hypothetically, GM disregarded those speed restrictions. Had a nice wide open time at the track, totally in contrast to their written agreements. Lets say that the ring even knew they were doing this, and turned a blind eye to it. Would it be smart for them to make a global statement that says, "Hey!!! Look how cool we are, we broke all of these rules." As I said, if they did post some amazing record time, they clearly wouldn't talk about it officially, because they were not supposed to be able to post some crazy time.

A different scenario is also possible, they posted a really solid time, adhering to the speed restrictions, with segment times faster than (whatevery car you care for it to lose to) expected. However due to the speed restrictions, those segments and perhaps the overall time was slower. Had the car been able to go full tilt for an entire lap, all data indicated that it would have won handidly. But they chose not to publish the times because the headline would look bad. "Your favorite car" beats C7 Z06 around the ring. and then in tiny print, but the C7 Z06 had all sorts of speed restrictions. It would simply be a PR pain in the rear end to try to explain all of the intricacies of the ring and regs, when so many people simply look at the total time.

Running the ring is massively expensive. The car tested, and tuned well. It is ungodly fast. I have tracked mine many many times, and never once have I been overtaken by anything. Are there faster cars, I am sure their are. But GM deserves to be proud of this car. Frankly it is awesome. Will they ever have another go at the ring? Who knows. I would love to see it.

Why didn't they release a time, again WHO KNOWS. But I guarantee you it wasn't because of the performance of the car. Take one for a spin on the track if you still disagree with me.

Last edited by ElCid79; 01-20-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:30 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Fact - They said candidly, not in an official release, that they had a time they were pleased with.

LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE is speculation. That's my point. To answer your direct question, lets say hypothetically, again I am speculating. But hypothetically, GM disregarded those speed restrictions. Had a nice wide open time at the track, totally in contrast to their written agreements. Lets say that the ring even knew they were doing this, and turned a blind eye to it. Would it be smart for them to make a global statement that says, "Hey!!! Look how cool we are, we broke all of these rules." As I said, if they did post some amazing record time, they clearly wouldn't talk about it officially, because they were not supposed to be able to post some crazy time.

A different scenario is also possible, they posted a really solid time, adhering to the speed restrictions, with segment times faster than (whatevery car you care for it to lose to) expected. However due to the speed restrictions, those segments and perhaps the overall time was slower. Had the car been able to go full tilt for an entire lap, all data indicated that it would have won handidly. But they chose not to publish the times because the headline would look bad. "Your favorite car" beats C7 Z06 around the ring. and then in tiny print, but the C7 Z06 had all sorts of speed restrictions. It would simply be a PR pain in the rear end to try to explain all of the intricacies of the ring and regs, when so many people simply look at the total time.

Running the ring is massively expensive. The car tested, and tuned well. It is ungodly fast. I have tracked mine many many times, and never once have I been overtaken by anything. Are there faster cars, I am sure their are. But GM deserves to be proud of this car. Frankly it is awesome. Will they ever have another go at the ring? Who knows. I would love to see it.

Why didn't they release a time, again WHO KNOWS. But I guarantee you it wasn't because of the performance of the car. Take one for a spin on the track if you still disagree with me.

Bingo!! Either way not releasing the time was pretty lame.

Last edited by GP1224; 01-20-2017 at 10:32 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Fastest American cars on the Nurburgring

Old 01-20-2017, 10:46 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Old 01-20-2017, 12:19 PM
Les
Race Director

Fact - the speed restrictions existed at the time of the z06 run...Some have said that the restrictions were only imposed after the Z06 had run its time- in fact, GP1224 said that in a prior thread on the topic. I don't know which is true. If you have something that documents your claim, at least we could put that element to rest. However, whatever the case, I think we could all agree that the Z06 did get a timed run in somehow. I doubt that Tadge pulled that claim out of his backside.

Fact - They said candidly, not in an official release, that they had a time they were pleased with. You forgot to include that, while saying that, they also said it would be made public soon. It would have been bad enough if they had gone to the Ring with the Z06 and then remained completely silent from that point on. Worse than that, they said they'd be announcing the time soon and never did- nor did they explain why not. That's where my grief lies. We've had a forum "insider" say that GM couldn't come up with a small fee required by the Ring to release the time. From the reaction I saw I don't think many folks here bought that. I certainly didn't. Bottom line, we haven't had a credible explanation for it and it's obvious that it's created a difficult situation for us, as fans of the Vette, to understand.

We could probably have a good discussion over a beer about all the hypothetical possibilities. It would be interesting but in the end I'm more interested in making sense of what we actually know. Bear in mind that I'm a lifelong fan of the Corvette, so I don't see this as an adversarial situation. I'm just frustrated with GMs mismanagement of the whole situation. Please refer to my comments in bold above.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:57 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,044 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Originally Posted by ck9887
We may have a chance to see what the new ACR will do ...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...cord-gofundme/
There are many more vette owners/fans than with the viper, though they might not be as hardcore percentage wise, I imagine it'd be easier to raise enough money to send a c7z and GS over for comparison.

Quick Reply: Fastest American cars on the Nurburgring