Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Fastest American cars on the Nurburgring

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 06:57 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by BladeZ06
I love my Z06 but it is silly that GM has not made a run with one by now. If they release a time for the ZR1 or GS then it will be beyond dumb. While they were running the 2017 ZL1 how hard would it have been to bring a 2017 Z06 too?

Seriously GM... put this to bed. Good or bad just publish the damn time.
I would not count on a ring time for the GS or ZR1 either. The C7 is at the end of its life cycle and they won't spend the money since they don't have to. GM knows they can sell the ZR1 based on hype alone as people scramble to get the latest and greatest. This has been proven before.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:14 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default How'bout because they Can, now!

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
I would not count on a ring time for the GS or ZR1 either. The C7 is at the end of its life cycle and they won't spend the money since they don't have to. GM knows they can sell the ZR1 based on hype alone as people scramble to get the latest and greatest. This has been proven before.
Seems like a perfect time!

Sports cars aren't selling. They are competing for market share with the Viper.
Pride!
Amazing F.U. with the Z06 affair there. Make up time!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 01-20-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:05 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
Does anyone outside of us internet forum enthusiasts really care all that much about Ring times. Kinda interesting to look at the list but a who cares thing at the same time. I've been around this stuff for over 4 decades and can't think of a single person who would base a purchase decision around these so called metrics.

Last edited by punky; 01-21-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:58 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
Does anyone outside of us internet forum enthusiasts really care all that much about Ring times.
Nope, and that's the funny thing...at least when you consider all of the angst this has caused around here for so long.

OTOH it's not really too surprising, when you consider it's one of those *****-measuring numbers some guys live for.

Last edited by sunsalem; 01-21-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:07 AM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

Dear GM,

LOL
Old 01-21-2017, 11:19 AM
ZR1Gerhardt
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by cvp33
The real reason was that publishing the times would've resulted in a fine from the Nurburgring officials. The fine was said to be $12.36 and GM did not want to post this on their EDS (earnings disclosure statement). The $12.36 is what shut this down otherwise the Z06 would currently be recognized as the fastest car in the universe which is clearly why we all bought one. I personally like knowing the secret.
I don't believe that. $12.36 is not even a rounding error on GM's financial statements. The fine would not even be discussed with auditors as it is under their materiality threshold.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:46 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Does anyone outside of us internet forum enthusiasts really care all that much about Ring times. Kinda interesting to look at the list but a who cares thing at the same time. I've been around this stuff for over 4 decades and can't think of a single person who would base a purchase decision around these so called metrics.
Do ppl really care outside the internet?? Of course there are...just as well as those who don't. One of the biggest things with the C7Z and the ring is how GM marketed the car.

Whatever the car ran is just speculation and its hard to imagine a proper functioning Z performed poorly. At the same time, its hard to imagine why GM has not released the time if the car did so well. Both are reasonable to be suspecting of...Not too mention, GM has this "measuring stick" for quite a while now.

The thing is theres a lot of emotion around here and guys get very defensive over the car that they own, and want to tell you that nobody cares when theres many that do (whether they own the car or not).

If you care, you have that right and shouldn't condemn ppl who don't. If you don't care, same applies. Either way it shouldn't interfere with your pleasure of ownership IMHO. If you let it, youre the one with the bigger problem. PPl will scream up and down they don't care, and yet continue to discuss and bump these threads indicating differently.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:05 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

I think more people care than you think and there are some that don't want to know in case the Z06 did not do so well. I think all car enthusiasts like to use the ring time as a yardstick of how their car compares to other cars. When your buddy says his car did the ring in x seconds it seems funny that you cannot reply with an appropriate answer. When you say "GM never announced it because it was so good" it seems kind of lame.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:36 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Originally Posted by BooSSted
They could have ran a M7 version. Pretty sure they wrecked a car during testing as well. It is still interesting as to why they never pursued it. They must have expected a great disappointment in comparison to the older Z06, ZR1 and other GM models. Remember cars arent supposed to regress ...
The new Z06 could not make it around the ring. Period. The cooling issues prevented the car from making a hot lap. The ring is a yardstick for performance! As a owner of over 20 corvettes, it pains me to see GM puss out!
Old 01-21-2017, 02:05 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Always amusing to see the guys who essentially memorize car magazine stats and then live their automotive life within those parameters. They never understand that the overwhelming majority of car guys in the world don't give a rats *** about what happens at the Ring, Laguna Seca, or where ever else the Gods of the auto press generate their metrics.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:22 PM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR1Gerhardt
I don't believe that. $12.36 is not even a rounding error on GM's financial statements. The fine would not even be discussed with auditors as it is under their materiality threshold.
You made me spit my drink out.....
Old 01-21-2017, 02:46 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Hey Don't Feel Bad!?

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Nope, and that's the funny thing...at least when you consider all of the angst this has caused around here for so long.

OTOH it's not really too surprising, when you consider it's one of those *****-measuring numbers some guys live for.
Maybe the new car is a Special limited Edition Z06, and one's caring won't have to matter, or not. Damn everyone could be happy!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 01-21-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:48 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

OK, so now we know we have an accountant on the thread.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:54 PM
ZR1Gerhardt
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
OK, so now we know we have an accountant on the thread.
Even worse, I am a corporate tax lawyer!
Old 01-21-2017, 06:14 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Yep!

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Do ppl really care outside the internet?? Of course there are...just as well as those who don't. One of the biggest things with the C7Z and the ring is how GM marketed the car.

Whatever the car ran is just speculation and its hard to imagine a proper functioning Z performed poorly. At the same time, its hard to imagine why GM has not released the time if the car did so well. Both are reasonable to be suspecting of...Not too mention, GM has this "measuring stick" for quite a while now.

The thing is theres a lot of emotion around here and guys get very defensive over the car that they own, and want to tell you that nobody cares when theres many that do (whether they own the car or not).

If you care, you have that right and shouldn't condemn ppl who don't. If you don't care, same applies. Either way it shouldn't interfere with your pleasure of ownership IMHO. If you let it, youre the one with the bigger problem. PPl will scream up and down they don't care, and yet continue to discuss and bump these threads indicating differently.
Similarly, any Psychologist will tell you your not over your ex if you are busy ranting about them.

(How about spending an inordinate amount of time on a thread title you could care less about!)

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 01-22-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:28 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Even worse, I am a corporate tax lawyer!
LOL.
When I was a kid, I wanted to grow up to be Perry Mason.
Unfortunately (fortunately?), I did not.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:07 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

There seems to be a bit of an obsession on the part of some in the Corvette world with this ring time business. The rest of the auto performance world does not appear to share this to be all, end all of metrics attitude about the "Ring". Lets be rational and understand that this is not a digital micrometer. There are scores of variables that come into play here such as driver error/skill, air temp. track temp, relative humidity, and on and on. This reminds me of the 75 yr old guys I see idling their GT500s in and out of car cruises with their "dyno" sheets displayed on the dashboard. Hilarious.

Get notified of new replies

To Fastest American cars on the Nurburgring

Old 01-22-2017, 12:32 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

There seems to be a bit of an obsession on the part of some in the Corvette world with this ring time business. The rest of the auto performance world does not appear to share this to be all, end all of metrics attitude about the "Ring". Lets be rational and understand that this is not a digital micrometer. There are scores of variables that come into play here such as driver error/skill, air temp. track temp, relative humidity, and on and on.
Very true.

This reminds me of the 75 yr old guys I see idling their GT500s in and out of car cruises with their "dyno" sheets displayed on the dashboard. Hilarious.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:01 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Thanks, I absolutely Love well defined Irony!
Old 01-22-2017, 05:37 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Always amusing to see the guys who essentially memorize car magazine stats and then live their automotive life within those parameters. They never understand that the overwhelming majority of car guys in the world don't give a rats *** about what happens at the Ring, Laguna Seca, or where ever else the Gods of the auto press generate their metrics.
Always amusing to see the guys who essentially think that their singular opinion speaks on behalf of the overwhelming majority of car guys in the world.

You should share this with the folks who really count- you know, those silly fellas at GM who continue to use the Ring to validate and demonstrate the performance of their best cars for car enthusiasts across the world...who, of course, don't care. Think of the boatloads of money and time they so foolishly spend that you could save them. I'm sure they'd forever be in your debt.

Quick Reply: Fastest American cars on the Nurburgring