Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

What do people see in Porsches???

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 10:41 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Or a prime steak over a choice. Almost every single good and service made has a high end that people are willing to buy. There is a reason Ferrari/Maserati/etc all exist. If value was the only thing we used to judge purchases on, a lot of brands would disappear.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:14 AM
Kruegmeister
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by HBsurfer

I would never test drive one cause I think they are fugly & I hate the VW bug lights. (No offense, my opinion, my taste) The only one I like is this one above and I think its super expensive. Ill stick with my Corvettes & my Ferrari (& maybe a Lamborghini down the road & a few more Vettes too)

Last edited by Kruegmeister; 04-25-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:36 AM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Kruegmeister
I hate the VW bug lights. (No offense, my opinion, my taste)
Check out the 996.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:44 PM
gscone
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For me,I have a 2016 Porsche Turbo with a tune and exhaust only. The fact that I can have my 2 kids in the backseat, with a decent size frunk, along with nothing on the road touching me from 0-125 mph is something to be said.

The build quality is also top notch and dealer support is excellent.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:10 PM
Kruegmeister
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by White Out
Check out the 996.
I have, looks like a VW Bug to me. I think that's where you were going with that since you put lol... I don't care how it handles or how fast, I just don't like ugly cars... Taurus SHO, the new Chevy SS, most BMW's... fast and/or perform well, but Taurus... come on... or fast Cavalier... plain NO at the price of a Base Vette!... BMW just not my style, the one beemer that I could go for was ruined cause they had to force the trademark grill on the front... where's the puke emoticon...
Old 04-25-2017, 08:10 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by gscone
For me,I have a 2016 Porsche Turbo with a tune and exhaust only. The fact that I can have my 2 kids in the backseat, with a decent size frunk, along with nothing on the road touching me from 0-125 mph is something to be said.

The build quality is also top notch and dealer support is excellent.
I really wouldn't mind a Turbo S, might even prefer it to the NA GT P-cars as they are brutally fast and capable and easily daily driveable, but I'm just way too of a cheap bastard to eat the depreciation curve on them. I'd probably be driving one if they didn't drop $50k in the first two years. Incredible cars though!
Old 04-25-2017, 08:15 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
I really wouldn't mind a Turbo S, might even prefer it to the NA GT P-cars as they are brutally fast and capable and easily daily driveable, but I'm just way too of a cheap bastard to eat the depreciation curve on them. I'd probably be driving one if they didn't drop $50k in the first two years. Incredible cars though!
that also works to your advantage though if you're buying in the used car market. You can pick up a 997.2 Turbo S that cost almost two hundred grand five years ago now for a little over a hundred. Throw an exhaust and tune with some intercoolers on it and it's insane fast low 10s all day with perfect launches.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:24 PM
bdenny
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like Corvettemonster was wrong when he tried to sell the idea that P's hardly depreciate.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:26 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by bdenny
Sounds like Corvettemonster was wrong when he tried to sell the idea that P's hardly depreciate.
very wrong. Granted there are some very high-end rare models that hold their value quite well and even go up in value but the normal mass-produced cars absolutely depreciate probably even way worse than Corvette.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:30 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by thegame
that also works to your advantage though if you're buying in the used car market. You can pick up a 997.2 Turbo S that cost almost two hundred grand five years ago now for a little over a hundred. Throw an exhaust and tune with some intercoolers on it and it's insane fast low 10s all day with perfect launches.
Agreed, but they keep depreciating unfortunately. Your $100k 997.2 Turbo with some more miles and more years will be a $50-60k car. Definitely not cheap cars to own, but very awesome and fast as you pointed out.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:26 PM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Kruegmeister
I have, looks like a VW Bug to me. I think that's where you were going with that since you put lol... I don't care how it handles or how fast, I just don't like ugly cars...
My comment was about the headlights since the 996 has the "non-911" headlights.

Look at a 991.1TT, they have come into a great price point and are much more comfortable as a DD. The 997.1/.2 with a manual will not change much over time.

Depends which one you buy, which options are on it, when you buy it, how much it's driven and when you sell it.

Agreed, but they keep depreciating unfortunately. Your $100k 997.2 Turbo with some more miles and more years will be a $50-60k car. Definitely not cheap cars to own, but very awesome and fast as you pointed out.
Manual cars aren't going to change much (low mile examples will likely go up in the future) and the 997.1 being the last of the mezger engine will likely have some stupid appreciation, that only makes sense to the 911 diehards, in the future.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:36 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by White Out
My comment was about the headlights since the 996 has the "non-911" headlights.

Look at a 991.1TT, they have come into a great price point and are much more comfortable as a DD. The 997.1/.2 with a manual will not change much over time.

Depends which one you buy, which options are on it, when you buy it, how much it's driven and when you sell it.

Manual cars aren't going to change much (low mile examples will likely go up in the future) and the 997.1 being the last of the mezger engine will likely have some stupid appreciation, that only makes sense to the 911 diehards, in the future.
yeah, the manual and Mezger will help the 997.1 Turbos hold value and possible appreciate some over time, but they will never be limited edition cars as Porsche made quite a few of them. The GT Porsches are still the safest long term bets IMHO.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:38 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by sublime1996525
Old 04-27-2017, 12:58 AM
acts
Race Director

i love older porsches, but they are way out of reach. Prices are insane.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:18 PM
TD-Machines
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Life's to short to be brand loyal. I can appreciate all sports cars.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:03 PM
bdenny
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some are overpriced for what you get. That's part of what this discussion is about.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:37 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Evidentially, there are some who agree with you, and by sales numbers, there are many that don't...bottom line is...its all subjective.

Like I said, there are guys driving mustangs and 10 second Honda Civics that make the same argument against vettes....using your logic, they would have a valid argument/point

Get notified of new replies

To What do people see in Porsches???

Old 04-29-2017, 07:01 PM
corvettemonster
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by thegame
this is complete bullshit lol. Maybe a gt3rs holds some value but cars like a 200k 911 turbo S depreciate about as fast as they accelerate. A 5 year old 2012 turbo s which stickered for around 200k can now be had on cargurus for around 100k. Thats 50% gone in a mere 5 years. Your deaming.
That's one car and why I only buy the GT3/GT2 variants. All vettes lose value except for some really rare old ones.

Last edited by corvettemonster; 05-17-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:19 AM
acts
Race Director

Some are overpriced for what you get. That's part of what this discussion is about.
But you're not going to get that Porsche experience in any other car for a similar price. I really can't think of a substitute. I just wish more car manufacturers would make sports cars, simple. That's where the fun is at. Give me a manual gearbox, RWD, manual seats, simple CD/radio, balanced RWD, naturally aspirated, and something that sounds incredible. I hate all the tech stuff in new cars. IMO, the new GT3 with the manual is the perfect car, but it will all be gobbled up by flippers.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:24 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by acts
But you're not going to get that Porsche experience in any other car for a similar price. I really can't think of a substitute. I just wish more car manufacturers would make sports cars, simple. That's where the fun is at. Give me a manual gearbox, RWD, manual seats, simple CD/radio, balanced RWD, naturally aspirated, and something that sounds incredible. I hate all the tech stuff in new cars. IMO, the new GT3 with the manual is the perfect car, but it will all be gobbled up by flippers.
Sooo Shelby GT350...