Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Buick Reatta

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 10:55 PM
corvette_realtor
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Buick Reatta

After buying my Vette, I have retro car fever. My DD is a giant 2015 Camry and I have been tired of it ever since I got the car. I would pay to end my lease for something else as a cheap, reliable DD. Preferably a car nearing vintage status.

My first idea was a 90s Cherokee/Grand Cherokee. I drove a '98 Cherokee prior to the Camry. Jeep made a strong V6 back then but their cars have some lingering issues - electrical, A/C..

Now I'm seeing two nice-looking Reatta's on CL for under $3k. Anybody have any input on them? Some quick research shows they were built like the Allante, only a 4 year production span and about 25k models ever made. I'd guess parts are no fun to get, though it shared a platform and parts with the Riviera.

Seems like a cool-ish front wheel drive 2 seater for when the Vette gets garaged this winter. It doesn't have to be a forever car but if it lasted 2 years it'd be cheaper than the Camry.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:04 AM
silversport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just going on memory but it should be hand made (or possibly only the convertible was) and the CRT center stack for radio and climate control could be problematic but newer versions did away with this as did the Riviera...most of the guts are stock GM (Buick) 3.8 (3800) engine and parts so I wouldn't worry too much there...

Bill

Last edited by silversport; 04-30-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:06 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Like Sivversport said watch out for the CRT, but they did build cars without them. The drivetrain is bulletproof, but soft parts are made of unobtainum. A few years ago I bought a 86 Fiero that I used as DD, but I always had a backup car as well. No matter how clean and well kept it is, any Reatta is still a 25+ year old car.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:51 PM
corvette_realtor
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the info and responses. Yes, I've read a lot of negative things about the computer module they used in the center stack of early Reattas. Seems like a lot of no-rust examples out there, and bargain price for a luxury coupe. Tempting.

But.... no cup holders! I don't know if I could deal with that as a DD. Also, I invariably need to haul things that are bigger than this car could probably handle. I still like the idea of the car, but it would have to be an extra car, secondary to my Vette. Not my main transportation.

And I don't know about having 4 cars in my driveway.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:41 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Get yourself a c4!

Get notified of new replies

To Buick Reatta

Quick Reply: Buick Reatta