Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Opinions on 6th generation manual Jettas

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 01:49 PM
monstrocity
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Opinions on 6th generation manual Jettas

Hi folks!

Kids will be learning to drive soon and I want to get them something half-decent to learn on. And by that I mean not too nice... but also something my wife and I would enjoy using on occasion.

I'm very interested in an early 2010s VW Jetta. Seems like a good safe starter car with a reasonable cool factor for a teen. Thinking I would choose gas and manual transmission (fun for parents and kids can't text!). The Comfortline ones look nice with rims but I wouldn't rule out a basic Trendline if price or condition was right.

Probably I would pick a budget like CDN$8K-10K and get the lowest mileage model I could find. And maybe find one with a couple scratches already, just in case...

Anyone have advice on best models or years? And also is it a big difference between 2.0 and 2.5? I don't especially care if the car isn't fast...

Last edited by monstrocity; 11-24-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:06 PM
ClipperFan
Race Director

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

I wouldn't buy a vw that old or probably at all. I'd tell my kid he is lucky to drive to school. Cool factor might attract types u don't want around your kids. Find a Honda or Toyota. Corolla's, accords and civics still come in manual transmissions

you will get more opinions in off topic
Old 11-25-2017, 02:09 PM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

2.5 is half the Gallardo/R8 engine. I think the 2.0 is a turbo motor for those years. The turbo VW have decent power (not fast) where the n/a are dogs.

VW requires more maintenance than the American and Japanese counterparts, but they are nicer inside.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:53 PM
ClipperFan
Race Director

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Did I mention my dark gray 2016 Toyota Corolla manual transmission is for sale ? Lol,
f/s about 12k or so.....30k miles. I see a chance to get a SS Camaro, manual transmission of course. Value of those are dropping faster than my high mileage Corolla
Old 12-08-2017, 06:05 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by ClipperFan
I wouldn't buy a vw that old or probably at all. I'd tell my kid he is lucky to drive to school. Cool factor might attract types u don't want around your kids. Find a Honda or Toyota. Corolla's, accords and civics still come in manual transmissions

you will get more opinions in off topic
This^^^^. As a professional mechanic for the past 35+ years, water cooled VW's don't rank highly on the reliability scale. Electrical problems, oil leaks, etc. They tend to be well past their prime at 100k miles....whereas a Toyota Camry, Corolla, or a Honda will be just broken in at that point. Along with Audi, VW would be about my last pick for a car. You'd even be better off with domestics at that point.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on 6th generation manual Jettas