Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Insane Sh*t Dept.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 12:45 AM
Ajaste
-----
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Insane Sh*t Dept.

Taken by my dashcam this past week. An f'in ladder in the middle of the Southeast Freeway as I was rolling southbound into Virginia from the District of Columbia in my 2005 Ram 1500 4x4, moving at about 60 mph. It's the route I take driving home every day. Bright sun outside the tunnel prevented anyone from seeing the damned thing; this shot was taken about 300 msec before I hit it. No damage to the truck, but had I been driving my 08 LS3 car it would have been another story entirely. The guy in front of me in the photo pulled over quickly. It looked like he had a flat on his aft driver side.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:35 AM
JJS04
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

Scary situation. Glad you made it through with no scrapes.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:58 AM
Ajaste
-----
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JJS04
Scary situation. Glad you made it through with no scrapes.
thanks pal

I have been a firm believer in dashcams for a couple years now. Had I been in the vette, I'm thinking the video sure would have helped make the case for the subsequent insurance claim!
Old 07-29-2017, 07:02 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

I have been considering doing a dash cam for South Florida. Almost a necessity.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:11 PM
Ajaste
-----
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by slowstang305
I have been considering doing a dash cam for South Florida. Almost a necessity.
Brother, do yourself a favor and pick one up. You don't need to spend more than about $100. on it.

I have been driving for forty years and have not encountered more crazy sh*t than I routinely see on a daily basis today.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:01 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

How would a dash cam make the insurance claim any different? I'm pretty sure saying "I hit a ladder, fix my car" would yield the same results as saying "here is a video of me hitting a ladder, fix my car."
Old 08-28-2017, 11:06 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by sublime1996525
How would a dash cam make the insurance claim any different? I'm pretty sure saying "I hit a ladder, fix my car" would yield the same results as saying "here is a video of me hitting a ladder, fix my car."
Showing a video of how hard it was to see the obstruction in that location could make a difference when they ask why you didn't just drive around it. You know they will ask that stupid question. They asked me when I ran over one of those electric wheelchair carriers that broke off the receiver hitch on a Suburban. I saw it in the left lane just as we topped a rise, but the van in that lane smacked it and spun it right over in front of me. On a bridge, there was no dodging it then with a bridge railing on the right and a smoking tires van on the left. Took out my air dam and radiator. I don't know how those receiver hitch carriers ever got approved for highway use, they are obviously over stressed at that single center weld!

Get notified of new replies

To Insane Sh*t Dept.