Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

"High flow" air filters for "stock" air cleaners, K&N, Spectre, Amsoil, Upgr8, etc.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:49 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts
Default "High flow" air filters for "stock" air cleaners, K&N, Spectre, Amsoil, Upgr8, etc.

I really don't want a debate of whether to use one of these filters. That subject has been beat to death, and I'm in the camp that prefers the "forever filters" (washable, reusable, either with oil (K&N, Fram AirHog, Spectre) or dry (Amsoil, Upgr8).

I've been in the K&N camp forever (since the 1980's). But their prices have gone through the roof, especially considering stock paper filters haven't really gone up that much, and there are now competitors in the "high flow" arena.

Starting about 10 years ago, I started picking up "closeout" Fram Air Hog filters. Very similar design to K&N, also an oiled fabric filter media, and when Fram stopped making them, the closeouts were selling cheap, often for the same price as cheaper paper filters. They are getting rare, but occasionally you still see NOS Air Hogs cheap online. I put some on a 3rd generation Camaro (350 V8) for a friend late last year.

The specific vehicle I'm dealing with now is a 2006 Jeep Commander with the V8<<< extended V6 (4.7L V8, the power of a V6 with the fuel economy of a V8). That engine is being asked to haul around 2 1/2 tons of Jeep, and it's not a stellar performer.

A K&N for that application is $51 plus tax on Amazon. I've been watching, ready to pounce on an Air Hog for a couple years for this one, but I haven't seen one yet.

Amsoil doesn't have one for this application. The alternatives are "Spectre" at $26 and "Upgr8" at $16.

The Spectre brand uses Fram numbering, and it could be the same tooling and source as Fram used for the Air Hogs just looking at it. It's an oiled media filter.

The Upgr8 is a dry (no oil), kind of like the Amsoil washable/reusable filters.

Has anyone had any experience with any of these other brands? Or should I bite the bullet and shell out what K&N is asking?

BTW, I'm keeping the stock air cleaner box. I've already insulated that. I've also got an insulated "straight pipe" (well, maybe "smooth pipe" is a better term, it's got a couple bends in it) running from the air cleaner box to the throttle body, replacing the "accordion hose" and factory intake silencer/resonator. I'm hoping lower intake air temps plus perhaps less restriction/easier flow will gain a few tenths on the MPG, maybe help it get out of its own way when pulling into traffic on the four lane, and if nothing else, at least it will sound like there's an engine up there when you stomp on the "loud" pedal.

Search this Thread