Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Mustang for track use?

Old 09-23-2017, 03:55 PM
nethole
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Mustang for track use?

Has anyone here made use of an older model mustang for track use, instead of corvette? If so, why? I'm wondering if a street drivable yet track capable mustang could be had and maintained for less money... obviously Miata is the answer for saving money, but for v8 goodness and 450+ hp, it's out. Camaro visibility is just awful, so mustang seems to be a semi cost effective track alternative
Old 09-24-2017, 11:35 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,422 Likes on 2,790 Posts

I looked into it. The short answer is no.

To make it handle, you need to address the whole suspension and the chassis needs stiffened. Then you've got poor brakes, low power, and a live rear axle. And fox bodies have gotten to be expensive.

It's far more cost effective to buy an lt1 6 speed C4 for track use.

It also depends on what you mean by "older model". Recent coyote mustangs can be very fast on track when driven by a good driver, but can also be a handful. My father has a boss 302 laguna seca and it's great on track, but it's not easy. If you do something stupid, you will wreck and it won't save you like a vette will.

Last edited by FAUEE; 09-24-2017 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:14 PM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

What is your price range?
Old 09-28-2017, 03:09 PM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Yup. Had a maximum Motorsports outfitted 97 cobra. Full Max Grip package, with Kenny brown chassis matrix and auto power rollbar setup. Brembo gran turismos up front, canton double daimond pan.

Car was AMAZING, although decently heavier than a C5 as it was a vert, and was full weight As it double dutied for street use.

Once you got all aftermarket at that point, all the pickup points change on the suspension; combined with a 3link torque arm setup with a panhard bar - it handled at MUCH HIGHER levels than my z51 vette.

I also purchased the car for $8500 as outfitted. Made a few changes, built the trans and sold it for $10k later - pristine and ready to race. You can't touch a C5 in that price range that's ready to track.

I now own a Miata setup for track that I've under 4K in total. Cheaper to run yet and very fast despite the ego trips here arguing different.

Get notified of new replies

To Mustang for track use?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mustang for track use?