Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Brake issues..Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 12:01 PM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Brake issues..Help!

I have a 2004 Focus ZX3 automatic. Over the weekend, I worked on the shocks and springs on all 4 corners. I also tackled the
timing belt timing belt
, spark plugs, motor mounts and coolant flush with new water pump. The car has about 113k miles. Everything was well until I went out for a drive. Backing up the car and at low speeds, brakes seems to work just fine. But at speeds of 20mph or higher, the brake pedal travels like half of its path before engaging the brakes. To totally stop, I need to almost be against the floor. The brakes work great but the travel has increased significantly. I didn't touch the brakes at all during my maintenance. After getting scared, I can't home and look st the brake fluid which was really dark (bought car used so I am assuming the 1 previous owner didn't change the fluid). I figured maybe some air in the lines. Pull out my Power Motive pressure bleeder and bled all 4 cornerd like 4 times each corner until no more air was in the lines. Still no improvement. What else can I test to find the problem? Master cylinder gone bad? If so, can someone direct me on how to change it? Mine has the reservoir on top and then feed it to the master cylinder using a tube at the bottom of it. In other words, the reservoir is not directly attached to the master cylinder.

Thanks
Old 10-16-2017, 04:41 PM
Top_Notch
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Nothing you did should have affected the brakes. Although I surmise you may have disturbed a brake line and one is now leaking, which would account for the air in the system (I assume the brakes worked fine previously) and the low pedal. I'd first check to see if you are leaking break fluid.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:58 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Are you sure you didn't get oil on the front brakes? If there is air in the lines a lot of times you have to pump the brakes to get enough pressure built up to stop, had this with caliper and master cylinder leaks.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:53 PM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

Replace the master cylinder

Get notified of new replies

To Brake issues..Help!

Quick Reply: Brake issues..Help!