Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Chevy SS last call

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 01:57 AM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 908 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
According to what I learned on the SS forums these cars were built and sold as Holden Commodores in Australia. Plenty were made during the years they were in production. Few people expect parts to be an issue other than it might take awhile to get them. And don't forget, the motor is as common as sliced bread, being that it is an LS3.
And the parts will be very expensive....
Old 12-17-2017, 08:53 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by lakemg
And the parts will be very expensive....

Back in the year 2000, Lincoln tried to invigorate their model line up, and introduced, in a loose partnership with Jaguar, the LS sedan. We were in the market for a new car back then, and one of my friends had an LS as a loaner car, while his wife's Continental was in for service. He let me take the LS for an extended "test drive" and I was impressed with it.

Long story short, we bought one, and enjoyed it for close to 9 years. We would have bought another one, had Lincoln continued to make the car. They dropped it from their line-up, in 2006, and as soon as ours got to the point where potentially major maintenance, like shock absorbers, and a third set of tires, as well as a couple of broken trim parts was becoming an issue, I sent it down the road, as it appeared that future parts availability was going to become an issue.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:38 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Not worried about parts. LS3 drive train, Chevy 6 speed auto, Some parts might cost more, or take more time to get. Instead of the Corvette tax call it the SS tax. I rarely keep a car beyond 5 years anyhow.
Driving this car is the most fun I had (driving a car) in the last 15 years. The attention it gets is almost annoying. Dang near every time I come out of a big store there are guys standing around looking at it and then the questions start. The sound of the exhaust is intoxicating.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:09 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 908 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Not worried about parts. LS3 drive train, Chevy 6 speed auto, Some parts might cost more, or take more time to get. Instead of the Corvette tax call it the SS tax. I rarely keep a car beyond 5 years anyhow.
Driving this car is the most fun I had (driving a car) in the last 15 years. The attention it gets is almost annoying. Dang near every time I come out of a big store there are guys standing around looking at it and then the questions start. The sound of the exhaust is intoxicating.
Drive train is not my concern at all. My concern is with body panels, headlights, tail lights, and interior pieces/trim/radio, etc...

When I had my G8, parts were somewhat hard to come by and certain parts were super expensive even if you could find them used (hood scoops for example) and that's with a car that they imported 40,000 units of which dwarfs the number of SS units imported. At one point there was rumor of moving SS production to North America, but haven't heard any more about it. I wish they would...I love the platform, styling, performance, and reliability. They are truly great cars.

Last edited by lakemg; 12-17-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:00 PM
LU8
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This car can't be allowed to die. Someone must make a reasonably sized non turbo sporty sedan with V8 and conventional stick shift. Surely 1 in 10 SUV / truck owners would like a sports sedan like the SS, if the price was right. The Mopar cars are too big.

Last edited by LU8; 12-17-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:48 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,796 Posts

The SS is effectively the same size as the Charger.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:21 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

I had an 06 GTO and the power window motor went out while under warranty. Took almost two months for it to ship from Australia. It was a great car to drive, but F that. Got rid of it a year later.

They should've brought Holden here when they punted Pontiac.