Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

1974 Charger

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 04:04 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Default 1974 Charger

I bought this car in 1978 at 17 years old and for a long time took, very good care of it. When I got into Corvettes, it took a backseat to everything Corvette related. It became my dad's DD and got hit a couple times. Blew an engine, wrecked a couple transmissions along the way.

Now I have time and no Corvettes to distract me. Budget is limited and I can do ALL mechanicals myself.

Now I need advice.

A. Disassemble the entire car and have all body work done on the rolling shell, then reassemble. (Think rotisserie)
B. Make it mechanically sound and shop it to body shops while driving it.

This is NOT going to be a full restoration. More like a streetable decent RUST FREE car.

It has a poorly repaired rear quarter, bad floor pan driver's side, bad trunk pan passenger side, and the doors need rust repair.

This was a clean Georgia car, but I was a very stupid kid and took it to the beach in Galveston a half dozen times and drove through the surf.

The goal is for me to live the rest of my 25 to 30 anticipated years and never see any rust come back.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:53 PM
Mavinwy
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it already has rust, and you can do the work yourself...AND it is a project car, not a daily driver.... (sounds like)

Then I would choose option A. Once the rust is there...and you are going to fix some of it....you may as well do it all. It will save much cussing down the road.

Mav
Old 11-06-2017, 04:56 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mavinwy
If it already has rust, and you can do the work yourself...AND it is a project car, not a daily driver.... (sounds like)

Then I would choose option A. Once the rust is there...and you are going to fix some of it....you may as well do it all. It will save much cussing down the road.

Mav
I can't do body work...at all. To me, body work is like being able to sculpt. I know what to do, but no way I can make it look right if I do it. I don't know what chemicals work best, I can't weld, I can form metal. I'm at the mercy of a pro. Mechanically, I can tackle anything.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:03 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I always like to have all the mechanicals done before I have any bodywork done, it reduces the chance of scratching the fresh paint. If you already have a shop picked out, talk to them and see what their timetable is. I have seen too many cars end up sitting in a corner of a shop waiting for the owner to get parts or come up with more money. If you do not have a shop picked out yet, make that part of your decision process.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:41 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

do you want to drive it or work on it?

I'd get a pro to finish it, you doing it yourself will take more time which means less driving time.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:41 AM
Mavinwy
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerovette
I can't do body work...at all. To me, body work is like being able to sculpt. I know what to do, but no way I can make it look right if I do it. I don't know what chemicals work best, I can't weld, I can form metal. I'm at the mercy of a pro. Mechanically, I can tackle anything.
In that case, I'd take one additional step and consult a local body shop you trust and get an opinion on any body work/rust issues on the car. It will help you decide to know what you have.

Seems worth a quote first, especially to have them check the unibody underneath.

Mav
Old 11-08-2017, 11:21 PM
MRANT212
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 87 Posts

Love that year Charger. Friend of mines brother bought one new in 1974...black, white interior 400 auto. Another friend of mine bought that car in 1979. Kept it for while threw a worked 440 stronger 727 trans and repainted it black. Had a lot of fun with that car! Post some pics of yours... restomod it a bit.. SRT Motor etc... saw one a while back and it was gorgeous p.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:14 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,341 Likes on 1,093 Posts

I live in the northeast, IE the "rust belt". If you drove it on the beach, through salt water, believe me, if it isn't a "rust bucket" now, it eventually will be. I fully understand your sentiment about your car, but I believe, in your first post, you said that your budget and bodywork skills are limited, so my advice is "Fuggedaboudit".......if you can't afford to do the body work to ERADICATE the corrosion 100%, by yourself, you're either going to spend $$$ to have it professionally done, or just wasting your money, if trying to do it on a limited basis.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:22 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Update:

I went to the Houston Autorama and talked to a great guy that has a restoration shop. From my pics and description, he gave me some bad news. He thinks I'll be more than $40k into this car in a real short time. He's happy to piece meal it for me and spread it out over time, but that's about double what I was hoping for. After 39 years of ownership, I may have to bail on the project. I sure with I would have taken autobody classes in school.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:31 AM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 520 Posts

I have a 70 Coronet and 77 Power Wagon. Been in to Mopar all my life.

Dont take it down to a shell. The term body shop jail comes to mind. I did this once. I never had the car on the road again.

I would do the mechanicals on the car and make it a reliable driver. Have fun with it. As for the body work the floor and trunk pans are easy to weld in. Any good welder can do them properly. Do those first. When the old panels are cut out check the sub frame assembly for rust and repair as needed.

As for the doors just find a rust free pair. They are out there. Might be pricy but a better option than repair work.

The quarters will need to be done by a decent body shop. Just pick carefully and try and set a repair time line. Most today are insurance repair facilities and restoration work is done on the side.

Then deal with paint. Do it this way and you can keep the car on the road, driving and having fun while you go.

Last edited by z06inVB; 11-27-2018 at 10:32 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1974 Charger

Quick Reply: 1974 Charger