Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Tesla unveils their new roadster these specs are insane..

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 11:19 AM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

All I can say is ... Ouch :
Old 12-08-2017, 02:26 PM
mebe
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tcinla
All I can say is ... Ouch :
Yeah, if one judges Tesla against their date commitments then the company is an abject failure. The company has consistently missed dates. Do I think the roaster 2 will be out in 2020? No way. Though their giving launch rides in a working prototype was a cool introduction. (Hope they put in a real steering wheel.)

But there's another yardstick with which to measure Tesla: they've got product in the field and it's unlike anything else you can buy. I own an S100D (it's my wife's car) and there's really nothing quite like stepping on the accelerator in a car with an electric motor and single gear transmission. We don't have the performance version and our 4800lbs 4 door leaps forward. Immediately. Absolutely nothing but the speed of light between my foot and force on the wheels.

We recently did a trip into the mountains. Wow. That "no gears to shift" and "all the torque from low revs" made the drive up incredible. Unlike any other mountain ascent I've done. Regenerative braking was an improved replacement to engine braking on the way down. Of course, the Model S is a land yacht, so the narrow roads were not so fun.

I'm also fairly envious of her "I never go to the gas station" lifestyle. She never goes to the gas station. Gets in the car every morning and it's ready to go 300 miles just like the previous morning.

So yeah: Tesla misses dates. Tesla also makes cars unlike anything else on the road and much as EVs are difficult for the existing car companies' business structure, they are a fantastic option for buyers. Good for Tesla for making them a real choice for consumers. Competition may put Tesla out of business; but if so it will only be due to Tesla showing existing car companies that there's real consumer demand for well made EVs.

The minute someone (maybe Tesla) makes a smaller electric with good performance, I'm buying and switching. Then no more gas stations for me too!
Old 12-09-2017, 09:26 AM
KICKIT
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 427bob
Saw the Tesla guy show the truck, which was amazing, and the new roadster that is due out in a year or 2. Destroys every other car out there today (production car). Not only that, the roadster he introduced with the fantastic acceleration numbers, is the BASE car. Holy Crap!

But I worry about this guy and his company. He's financed up to the gills, way behind in production numbers, and expect tons of competition that might just put his company under. Would not buy his stock TSLA. Down from $390 to low 300's.
TSLA stock for the year is up $125 per share
pretty hefty return
Old 12-09-2017, 02:37 PM
427bob
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by KICKIT
TSLA stock for the year is up $125 per share
pretty hefty return
Short squeeze
Old 12-12-2017, 05:57 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,428 Likes on 2,794 Posts

Bottom line with these tech companies... currently you have these guys that get lucky, hit a big payday from dumb luck, and all the sudden people think they'e geniuses. Instead of seeing they were in the right place at the right time, they'e dreamt up as visionaries and geniuses.

Musk is this sort of guy. No doubt he's smart, but he was in the right place at the right time to become an icon. Tesla and SpaceX have survived off his icon status and big *** piles of taxpayer money. Fools that are running a stock market that doesn' reflect reality love the guys icon status. They see him as a near religious figure, a guy who was so smart he picked tech winners, and they want to be him. They dream of the day they can be like him. But they're following a guy who got lucky.

The stock market is heading for a real catastrophe. They're playing a dangerous game of valuation based off emotion/fantasy and not financial data. An inevitable fed rate hike is going to make a whole bunch of stuff crumble. The auto industry price bloat, the real estate bubble, all this stuff is driven by an artificially low interest rate situation.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:53 AM
KICKIT
Racer

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Bottom line with these tech companies... currently you have these guys that get lucky, hit a big payday from dumb luck, and all the sudden people think they'e geniuses. Instead of seeing they were in the right place at the right time, they'e dreamt up as visionaries and geniuses.

Musk is this sort of guy. No doubt he's smart, but he was in the right place at the right time to become an icon. Tesla and SpaceX have survived off his icon status and big *** piles of taxpayer money. Fools that are running a stock market that doesn' reflect reality love the guys icon status. They see him as a near religious figure, a guy who was so smart he picked tech winners, and they want to be him. They dream of the day they can be like him. But they're following a guy who got lucky.

The stock market is heading for a real catastrophe. They're playing a dangerous game of valuation based off emotion/fantasy and not financial data. An inevitable fed rate hike is going to make a whole bunch of stuff crumble. The auto industry price bloat, the real estate bubble, all this stuff is driven by an artificially low interest rate situation.

They've been saying this about the market/dow the last 3 years.
Pick the correct stocks and long term you'll come out ahead. If you think the market is headed for "catastrophic" number you should jump in and short all.Make yourself some easy $

Last edited by KICKIT; 12-13-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:58 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by KICKIT
They've been saying this about the market/dow the last 3 years.
Pick the correct stocks and long term you'll come out ahead. If you think the market is headed for "catastrophic" number you should jump in and short all.Make yourself some easy $
The real question is, when will it happen.

Personally, I don'​t have enough time (or care enough) to devote time to watching for it. I'​m mainly invested in energy and consumer essentials. Might not have the huge potential for growth, but even when the stock market tanks people need toilet paper and power.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:39 PM
Z06NJ
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 205 Posts

Right now it takes me about 30 minutes of idling in the morning before my heater starts to blow hot (?) air when it's freezing outside.

In a TESLA, how long is the wait?!

Edit to answer post #69: I have a 2017 1.4L 4 cylinder beater. Trust me, even with 2 consecutive 20 min intervals on the remote start, it's not super hot when I get in.

Last edited by Z06NJ; 12-14-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:24 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by Z06NJ
Right now it takes me about 30 minutes of idling in the morning before my heater starts to blow hot (?) air when it's freezing outside.

What is that in? I'e never had a car that took more than 5 minutes to heat up... In my old f150 it was toasty inside after 5 minutes.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:13 PM
Callsign_Vega
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06NJ

Edit to answer post #69: I have a 2017 1.4L 4 cylinder beater. Trust me, even with 2 consecutive 20 min intervals on the remote start, it's not super hot when I get in.
The Tesla uses an electric heater, so it is extremely quick. Not to mention you can set the cabin temperature from your smartphone to a set temperature when you leave for work and leave work for home. The beauty of having no engine running.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:29 PM
Z06NJ
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 205 Posts

Tesla continues to amaze me.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:33 AM
KICKIT
Racer

Originally Posted by mebe
Very good to be specific. We will check in November 2018 to see if your prediction is right. Bookmarking this post to reference next year.
agree....lol
i think he forgot GM went belly up

Last edited by KICKIT; 12-18-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:56 PM
ALMS21
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega
For everyone who buys a 911 Turbo, Audi R8, NSX, Vanquish, Ferrari 488, Aventador, McLaren, etc, their cars just became irrelevant.
I need to get some of what you're smoking. People buy McLaren, Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, et al because of the total driving experience. That being beautiful design, chassis feel, driving involvement, intoxicating sound, et al. None of which this sedate, Helen Keller'esque, boring turd has over ANY of the cars you listed above.

You love it....congrats. We care much more than how fast we get to the next stop light.

Last edited by ALMS21; 12-18-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:00 PM
Callsign_Vega
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

That being beautiful design, chassis feel, driving involvement, intoxicating sound..

Yes the Tesla has or can have all of those besides the sound.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:04 AM
PHPD7102
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
these car don't even exsist,its all ''a musk dream'' to get more moeney
I've heard that as well, in fact I've read and heard that Tesla may very well be bankrupt and gone within 3 years. I'm no industry expert so no clue how much truth there is to that, but I've heard it from more than one source.

You cant deny its cool technology, and the cars are obviously fast. That said, I just cant get behind a car I couldn't hop in and drive from Chicago down to see my family in Florida.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:32 AM
KICKIT
Racer

Originally Posted by PHPD7102
I've heard that as well, in fact I've read and heard that Tesla may very well be bankrupt and gone within 3 years. I'm no industry expert so no clue how much truth there is to that, but I've heard it from more than one source.

You cant deny its cool technology, and the cars are obviously fast. That said, I just cant get behind a car I couldn't hop in and drive from Chicago down to see my family in Florida.
LOL
A source once told me the world is flat and not round.... take it with a grain of salt (lot's of jealous haters in the industry) that said
0.0% chance of that happening anytime soon

Last edited by KICKIT; 12-24-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:02 AM
03clyde
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zooom.

Quick Reply: Tesla unveils their new roadster these specs are insane..