Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Oil question

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 10:48 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Default Oil question

Hi All, This is really an oil question, but since it concerns our "Other" car which is an import (Sorry), i'll try a post here. We have a 2009 "Import" which is starting to show signs of a known problem of over oil consumption. This problem is known to possibly start happening when the motor gets into the 60 - 70-K mileage area. The problem is supposedly caused by deposits sticking to the oil rings and not letting them "rest" against the cylinder walls correctly thus letting oil slide by and burn out. This particular import manufacturer says they will replace pistons and rings if you are under 8 years old or 125,000 miles. We are under the mileage, but unfortunately over the years. So my question is, I know that oil additives are kinda a NO-NO these days, but are the any oil additives, or even fuel additives that I could maybe run through a couple of changes/tanks that may help this ring sticking problem and loosen them up? Ours didn't really start this oil usage until about 70-K and it is still only using about a 1/2 quart every 2-3 K miles. I know this isn't that bad and some may even call it normal, but i'm trying to keep the problem from getting worse......any thoughts ? Thanks to all

Last edited by windyC6; 11-30-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:02 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
. So my question is, I know that oil additives are kinda a NO-NO these days, but are the any oil additives, or even fuel additives that I could maybe run through a couple of changes/tanks that may help this ring sticking problem and loosen them up?
No, if there were your dealer would tell you to use it.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:33 PM
That Bad Man
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14,'16

I was going to recommend Sea Foam as well. Also, the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and Platinum are PAO based synthetics that are said to be much cleaner oils than other synthetics or dino based oils...
Old 12-02-2017, 09:00 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
No, if there were your dealer would tell you to use it.
Not necessarily............they'd like to tell you that the car is a "catastrophe in the making", and sell you a new car. Then they'd take your "clean trade-in", run a gallon of "engine purge" through it, and put it out on their lot.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:11 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Not necessarily............they'd like to tell you that the car is a "catastrophe in the making", and sell you a new car. Then they'd take your "clean trade-in", run a gallon of "engine purge" through it, and put it out on their lot.
Thanks for the help there Lead. That was kind of my thinking also. Plus the fact that the dealer might make a nice little profit from the manufacturer when they did the R&R.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:49 PM
92mr2turbo
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Is this a Toyota with the 2.4L?
Old 12-03-2017, 08:47 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Thanks for the help there Lead. That was kind of my thinking also. Plus the fact that the dealer might make a nice little profit from the manufacturer when they did the R&R.

..........I know a couple of people who either work at dealerships or own used car lots.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil question

Quick Reply: Oil question