Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Might have pissed off the car collectors out there

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 09:38 PM
turbotalon
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Might have pissed off the car collectors out there

Before, how the engine looked when callaways delivered the car to the customer.

The owner I build his cars for may have seen some of our corvette builds here and there.

Heres a non corvette build that may or may not cause car guys jaws to drop.

now the owner was one of very guys back in the mid 90’s to purchase a 96’ callaways SuperNatrual Impala ss.

He loves this car, but like any of his cars. He refuses to leave them stock and just goes to town after market wise. As most reviews of the special impala ss, he also wasn’t satisfied with the 404bhp of the callaways 383ci lt1.

so this past summer we pulled the engine and transmission. Sent the engine out to TPIS and transmission to animal transmission. Let’s say we may have destroyed the value of this rare car, but I think the motor trend review from the mid 90’s would of sang a different tune! Trans was built from scratch in a brand new 4l60e case, billet internals and a taller first gear(which shaved .40 of a second on 1/4 mile times alone).

the engine was completely tore down and replaced with internals and supporting mods to handle the extra 120+hp the big purple boat needed! It was punched out from a 383 to a 389ci, all forged internals, Cnc AFR 195cc heads, and the list goes on!

Last edited by turbotalon; 12-12-2017 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:31 PM
turbotalon
Intermediate

Old 12-12-2017, 10:29 AM
JJS04
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

Awesome! Love seeing builds out of the ordinary.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:05 PM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

To be honest I didn't even know Callaway did anything with the Impala SS and I don't think a few mods would upset the faithful. At best the owner now has a rare car with supporting mods (understatement).

On the more important topic at hand though what's up with the 1GA Talon lurking in the background? I'm guessing already whatever is going on with it is pretty nasty.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:34 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

There are so many 94-6 SS Impalas with <10k on them out there that I wouldn't worry too much. Even the Callaway version is not that special. I had a 95, they are fun cars. If you really wanted to **** off the purists you should have put a third pedal in it. Nice build.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:40 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

**** me off? NO, but sure made me jealous!! My wife and I had a '93 Caprice LTZ, a forerunner of the Impala SS. We owned it for 7 years, was a good "travellin car".....
Old 12-12-2017, 10:06 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

I always liked those cars
Old 12-12-2017, 10:08 PM
MAD IN NC
Team Owner

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Crowd Plow For Now

nice upgrades....
Old 12-12-2017, 10:56 PM
turbotalon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Velocity_Vette
To be honest I didn't even know Callaway did anything with the Impala SS and I don't think a few mods would upset the faithful. At best the owner now has a rare car with supporting mods (understatement).

On the more important topic at hand though what's up with the 1GA Talon lurking in the background? I'm guessing already whatever is going on with it is pretty nasty.
Haha, I would of never guessed someone would of spotted it.

That’s my bastard child I’ve had for 10+ years. It’s like having the rich family take in the homeless kid. She sleeps with the callaways impala ss, 61’ all original vette, c3 vette, 51 ford pick up we have in the barn.

It’s a 91 bald beagle talon tsi awd

-FP ported 68HTA(v1) turbo 30psi on E85
-FP manifold
-7” ETC FMIC kit
-Greddy type S BOV
-DSMlink w/ speed density
-AEM boost gauge
-AEM UEGO A/F ratio gauge
-2.3l stroker
-100 mm eagle chromoly crank
-eagle h-beam rods
-arias forged piston
-ARP main and head studs
-comp 272 camshafts
-kiggly HLA
-FIC 1650cc
-Walbro 480 HP fuel pump
-aeromotive FPR @ 43.7psi
-Megan o2 housing
-3” Megan DP & test pipe
-3” Thermal R&D catback
-Fidanza light weight flywheel
-ACT unsprung 6 puck heavy duty clutch
-KYB gr2 struts
-Brembo drilled rotors.
-Megan lowering springs(2”)

....... the list goes on lol.

Last edited by turbotalon; 12-12-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:07 PM
turbotalon
Intermediate

And wow! Thanks everyone. The completely opposite response I was expecting to get.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:07 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

Very nice! Not a lot of individuals are still dedicated to those 1st Gens so good to see them around. I dabbled in those for a while over a decade ago but nowhere near that level. The first time I got rolled on by a 1st Gen it made me a believer.

How's your child like that GT3? I'm thinking about getting one of those for my daughter because it has two seats for her cousin or a friend. I'm super jealous how all these Power Wheels now are like we're going to look as authentic as possible meanwhile Power Wheels when I was a kid were plastic abominations. Even the Power Wheels BMW i8 she played in has the butterfly doors and every thing I was super impressed.

////Lets go as far off topic as possible
Old 12-13-2017, 11:56 AM
turbotalon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Velocity_Vette
Very nice! Not a lot of individuals are still dedicated to those 1st Gens so good to see them around. I dabbled in those for a while over a decade ago but nowhere near that level. The first time I got rolled on by a 1st Gen it made me a believer.

How's your child like that GT3? I'm thinking about getting one of those for my daughter because it has two seats for her cousin or a friend. I'm super jealous how all these Power Wheels now are like we're going to look as authentic as possible meanwhile Power Wheels when I was a kid were plastic abominations. Even the Power Wheels BMW i8 she played in has the butterfly doors and every thing I was super impressed.

////Lets go as far off topic as possible
Hahaha, it’s about other cars so not to far of the forum topic

Yeah, the entire “DSM” community is kinda just disapearing. There’s few of us still kicking around, but no where near the size it was when I got into them and had my first talon. The issues with them is they were so affordable teenagers would buy them up because it was the same price as a civic but with nuts. However, 99% bought their first one with no knowledge of turbochargers. Would beat the tar snot till they blew and either parted them out or or to the bone yard. Wanted the speed and power but no brains or ambition to learn and maintain it.

My kid loves the gt3, he drives that thing 24/7 and wants more after the battery dies. He just had to drive it out in the snow just yesterday, lol.

I agree these power wheels are sweet. I always thought my buddy’s Bigfoot was cool as a kid. Then I started looking into them when I had a kid. Night and day difference.

The GT3 does come with two seats, FM radio w/ aux port, paddle shifters w/ light bar, and 12v which gives the kid that extra cool factor to be able to shift from low to high while driving.

The only thing I didn’t like is the quality... nothings broke in the year he’s had it. However for almost $400 at the time. Everything seems and feels cheap. The steering wheel kind flops, the shifter feels loose and always one shift away from breaking off. The plastic wheels are loud and already starting to get holes from spinning.

Last edited by turbotalon; 12-13-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:23 PM
68ragtop69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
MD Events Coordinator
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In X Veteran
CI-X Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I never knew Callaway did anything with these cars either!

As for the mods, I think they don't take away from the car at all. The original engine is better than it was before and has a transmission to back it up!

Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-13-2017, 03:04 PM
turbotalon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 68ragtop69
I never knew Callaway did anything with these cars either!

As for the mods, I think they don't take away from the car at all. The original engine is better than it was before and has a transmission to back it up!

Thanks for sharing!
Anytime! Glad you enjoyed seeing it.

After doing research, it was truly amazing how many people in Chevy world and even the lt engine world never heard of it.

I think it wasn’t a very advertised option. It was more you had to know someone that knew someone. The only way to get the callaways package on the impala ss was to go into the dealer. Buy the impala ss and then opt/pay into the callaways package. They would send the car straight from the manufacturer or dealer to callaways.

Another possible factor is.... they only made A handful of them. The impala ss is C9 out of C19 other cars callaways has built for a manufacture. Mainly built for Chevrolet but also did some cars for other manufactures.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.motor...road-test/amp/

Last edited by turbotalon; 12-13-2017 at 03:12 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Might have pissed off the car collectors out there

Quick Reply: Might have pissed off the car collectors out there