Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

ZR1 vs. GT500

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 01:00 PM
Wulverine
Le Mans Master

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by CORVETTEZL1001
The ZR1 destroys the GT500. Expect a Z28 with the LT5 motor.
Originally Posted by meadowz06
Compared on what qualifications? One is a 4 seat GT car. The ZR1 is track focused supercar, with 2 seats. There is NO comparing the two cars, in any way, shape, or form! Just because they have 700+hp means nothing.

Obviously you two have driven both cars.

Can you list below based on experience with both cars, why the ZR1 destroys the GT500 and why there is NO comparing the two cars, in anyway, shape, or form?
Old 01-17-2018, 05:19 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Wulverine

Can you list below based on experience with both cars, why the ZR1 destroys the GT500 and why there is NO comparing the two cars, in anyway, shape, or form?
Would also love to hear the answer???????

Let's take a quick look at the current ZL1 and Z06, same HP and the ZL1 is just a fraction slower around the track. Using the 2 seat vs. 4 seat argument saying "no comparing in anyway, shape or form" and words like "destroy" are pretty fictitious statements in this day/age. The margin between the pony cars and the almighty Corvette has closed up pretty tight. I know a lot of people who would pay $30-40K less for a car that is only ~1 second slower around Laguna Seca.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:52 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,414 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by meadowz06
Compared on what qualifications? One is a 4 seat GT car. The ZR1 is track focused supercar, with 2 seats. There is NO comparing the two cars, in any way, shape, or form! Just because they have 700+hp means nothing.
Yeah, everybody knows about the seats... but they will be compared in every way, shape, and form! Come out from underneath a rock and pick up a car magazine, tune-in to a related TV show, YouTube, or just Google. Cars are infinitely compared... regardless of seats, or your opinions concerning suitability.

Last edited by sTz; 01-18-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:32 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,796 Posts

I'm going to disagree with the "exciting time" sentiment. It's a complete **** time to be into cars unless you'e well heeled. Want something fun? A decent Mustang GT is 35 grand. Camaro is expensive and you can' see out it. Used cars are at historically high prices, and all the exciting stuff comes at huge prices because they pack on crap that adds cost like apple and android crap, electronically adjustable everything, and electronically controls mechanical components. You can't' buy something cheap, fun, quick, and reliable, and that's part of why the car enthusiast is dying.

It's a great time to be an old man with a solid bank account that needs pills to make his junk work and needs a fast car to make his ego work. If you want to buy a car to appear like a car guy, now is a great time. If you are actually into cars and don't have a trust fund or money in the bank, it's a terrible time for cars.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:17 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,414 Likes on 1,593 Posts

^^^ Meh, all generations complain about car prices... and the cost of everything in general. There have been disgruntled consumers throughout the ages, but I doubt that the car world is losing very many enthusiasts based solely on cost. Take another pill and dip into that plush bank account... you can’t take it with ya.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:18 PM
MikeSVT04
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I'm going to disagree with the "exciting time" sentiment. It's a complete **** time to be into cars unless you'e well heeled. Want something fun? A decent Mustang GT is 35 grand. Camaro is expensive and you can' see out it. Used cars are at historically high prices, and all the exciting stuff comes at huge prices because they pack on crap that adds cost like apple and android crap, electronically adjustable everything, and electronically controls mechanical components. You can't' buy something cheap, fun, quick, and reliable, and that's part of why the car enthusiast is dying.

It's a great time to be an old man with a solid bank account that needs pills to make his junk work and needs a fast car to make his ego work. If you want to buy a car to appear like a car guy, now is a great time. If you are actually into cars and don't have a trust fund or money in the bank, it's a terrible time for cars.
Yea, I don't know how the working man affords these vehicles. My wife and I make good money don't have kids, no debt other than a house and I can't bring myself to drop 70k on a weekend/ nice weather car. Even a used C6 zr1 is still 60k. And then modding it. Jesus it's to much.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:20 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Do the C5 thing! ;)

Guys buy them for the track, and I saw a beautiful custom painted 427 ZO6 at a Cars and Coffee last weekend.
I've read they are the best performance buy out there. There are mods galore for them too!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 01-18-2018 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:15 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Wulverine

I don't actually see it as apples to apples but they will be compared. Like it or not. Whats the big deal...its just talk. Not sure why some here get their panties all in a bunch over it. Really not a big deal.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:16 AM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett

I don't actually see it as apples to apples but they will be compared. Like it or not. Whats the big deal...its just talk. Not sure why some here get their panties all in a bunch over it. Really not a big deal.

Exactly!!...
Old 01-18-2018, 07:27 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Apples and Apples! ;)

For the purpose of connecting a GT500 to the ZR1 on some level without an actual car yet I used the existing compared NA counterparts. One such comparison had the GT Winning, "Apples and Apples!"

And!

Going forward considering a sedan without a transaxle like chassis and ediff. with a Corvette!?
It will of course likely be getting the 10spd though!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 01-18-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:52 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,796 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeSVT04
Yea, I don't know how the working man affords these vehicles. My wife and I make good money don't have kids, no debt other than a house and I can't bring myself to drop 70k on a weekend/ nice weather car. Even a used C6 zr1 is still 60k. And then modding it. Jesus it's to much.
They don't. It's even worse for you.ger guys, just starting out of school or something like that. I have been very fortunate in my life to get a good job out of school and graduated without much debt. I have a ton of friends that didn't and they're stunned that I can afford a used C6. They look at new cars and think 25 grand is a lot to spend. If you look at new cars, 25 grand doesn't buy much. These are degreed engineers working for a fortune 500 company that have been here for a few years too.

These guys would buy a Mustang or something like that, but they'v been priced out. Mustangs amd Camaro used to be great performance bargains. You got a big v8, rwd, a stick, amd could go rip burnouts without a ton of expense, but now they have all sorts of extra crap that has driven the price way up, chasing a consumer who won' switch from an m3 to a mustang anyways, because they need to appear rich.

Used cars that are good are going for nearly what they did new. Sure there' run into the ground beat to hell C5's and C6s for cheap, but that' not for everyone.

The auto industry is shooting itself in the foot trying to make cars too fancy and trying to move everything upmarket. Someone would make a killing by offering a basic sports car again. No eLSDs, a live rear axle, no fancy turbos or direct injection, a basic hard plastic interior, and undercut everyone else by 10 grand or more. There is no reason that a mustang gt or Camaro Ss should start at more than 23k.

The auto industry is doomed if they can't reduce costs of vehicles. Interest rates are going up, and they can only mask the issue for so long with fleet sales like they did in 2017.

I priced out a 2018 wrangler, a loaded up sahara, it worked out to well over 50 grand. That's' insane to me.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:20 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Obsolete the C7 Corvette!?

Simply, if the Mustang successfully gets a DOHC sedan efficiently through how many wouldn't see the way to go their route? SUV's sales have been indicating that Utility!

Not! Stripped - 66HP and high RPM power under the curve - Forgot - Sorry!

https://blog.caranddriver.com/ford-m...s-a-999-extra/

Go Corvette! The 1LE weighs how much!?

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 01-18-2018 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:28 PM
Wulverine
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
Simply, if the Mustang successfully gets a DOHC sedan efficiently through how many wouldn't see the way to go their route? SUV's sales have been indicating that Utility!

Not! Stripped - Forgot - Sorry!

https://blog.caranddriver.com/ford-m...s-a-999-extra/

Go Corvette! The 1LE weighs how much!?

The mustang is not a "sedan", irregardless of the internet definitions you plan on posting to refute my statement.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:43 PM
Wulverine
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15

How dare we speak of a mustang and corvette in the same breath.

The lloyd mat "it's just a mustang" waxer corvette brand loyalist might never recover.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:30 PM
Wulverine
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15

Sedan | Definition of Sedan by Merriam-Webster
Merriam-Webster › dictionary › sedan
Definition of sedan. 1 : a portable often covered chair that is designed to carry one person and that is borne on poles by two people. 2 a : a 2- or 4-door automobile seating four or more persons and usually having a permanent top — compare coupe.

I also own a V2 CTS-V that "seats" 4, it's not called a sedan I assure you.

Go try and troll somebody else bitch.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:43 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Cruise-In XI Veteran

Sedan | Definition of Sedan by Merriam-Webster
Merriam-Webster › dictionary › sedan
Definition of sedan. 1 : a portable often covered chair that is designed to carry one person and that is borne on poles by two people. 2 a : a 2- or 4-door automobile seating four or more persons and usually having a permanent top — compare coupe.

Regardless of what the dictionary states........ Just about anyone in the car world considers a coupe to have 2 doors (regardless of being a 2 or 4/5 seater) and a sedan to have 4 doors. I have never seen/heard a Mustang or Camaro (or any other 2 door with a rear seat) referred to as a "sedan"????
Old 01-18-2018, 05:44 PM
Wulverine
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15

2018 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan | Road-Ready, Track-Capable‎
Adwww.cadillac.com/2018/CTS-V‎
Thunderous Power with Race-Ready Agility. Explore the 2018 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan. Brembo® Brakes. Adaptive

WTF!

You show your ignorance with the above post.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 vs. GT500

Old 01-18-2018, 05:48 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Cruise-In XI Veteran

2018 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan | Road-Ready, Track-Capable‎
Adwww.cadillac.com/2018/CTS-V‎
Thunderous Power with Race-Ready Agility. Explore the 2018 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan. Brembo® Brakes. Adaptive

WTF!
Cadillac refers to it's 4 door cars as sedans and it's 2 door cars as coupes. It's right on their website if you don't believe me?

The CTS-V that Wulverine is referring to is a CTS-V 2 door coupe....... It's not a sedan!!

Last edited by MVR 155; 01-18-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:51 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Nothing to do with my original point, but, I was technically not wrong! ;)

Semantics!

A F-ing Mustang SEDAN

Bitch!

Interesting, but, hardly worth the name calling Mustang Lovers!

A full size rear seat with headroom equals a sedan!
Camaro's and Mustang's are big cars!?
No Camaro's, Mustang's, or Cadillacs - Go Figure (Not Me!):
https://www.google.com/amp/www.motor...ear-seats/amp/

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 01-19-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:53 AM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

Well highly factual. The ZR1 will likely beat many hyper cars around most tracks. A million miles away from what any Mustang can muster. Sorry but true. Wait and watch.

Quick Reply: ZR1 vs. GT500