Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

More MEs to come?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 10:35 AM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts
Default More MEs to come?

With all the talk out there of the ME Vette, rumors have started to spread of the competition doing the same.

Below is a concept floating around of a ME Viper.

I gotta say, if this car was real, I'd buy it.

The idea that Corvette and Viper would both go mid-engine is very enticing. The trend with Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, and similar has been going in the wrong direction for several years now. Having Viper to compete with the ME Vette could be a real game changer and force innovation.

Last edited by Atari_Prime; 03-05-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:41 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

And why has the Camaro/Mustang/Challenger trend gone in the wrong direction?

I can buy a base 2018 Mustang GT with the Ford Racing supercharger package out-the-door for ~$40k, and have a full factory warrantied 700hp car that will run 10's all day with some stickies.

If I buy the performance package, I get the upgraded suspension, wheels/tires and breaks for a couple thousand more more

How is that the wrong direction? That's pretty freaking marvelous IMO if you just want a straight-line screamer, that also has very good handling.

The Camaro chassis is damn good for its class and has the same engine as a C7. That ZL1 1LE or whatever the designation is, is an outstanding performance vehicle.

The challeneger is the lonewlf, grossly overweight yacht on wheels with archaic underpinnings.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-05-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:47 AM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

I’m not sure it’s in the cards for FAC to do a ME viper but I would love the idea of a revolutionary ME viper. They have the engines, they could do an all track version with the V10 and offer a higher hp all around car with the demon engine.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:56 AM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Originally Posted by C7pimp
And why has the Camaro/Mustang/Challenger trend gone in the wrong direction?

I can buy a base 2018 Mustang GT with the Ford Racing supercharger package out-the-door for ~$40k, and have a full factory warrantied 700hp car that will run 10's all day with some stickies.

If I buy the performance package, I get the upgraded suspension, wheels/tires and breaks for a couple thousand more more

How is that the wrong direction? That's pretty freaking marvelous IMO if you just want a straight-line screamer, that also has very good handling.

The Camaro chassis is damn good for its class and has the same engine as a C7. That ZL1 1LE or whatever the designation is, is an outstanding performance vehicle.

The challeneger is the lonewlf, grossly overweight yacht on wheels with archaic underpinnings.
As you say, it will run '10s'. The quarter mile is completely irrelevant to any conversation involving a sports car. That is a statistic for muscle cars. A sports car should be light, it should be nimble, and most importantly it should go around turns better than most cars. A front engine car with the same horsepower and similarly setup suspension cannot keep up with a mid-engine car with the same. The Hellcat is a cartoon and the wrong direction for cars. The Camaro is the same car we have seen 500 times before, only this time it looks like a Hotwheel that a five year old would play with rather than a road going vehicle. I laugh every time I see one. It's like a suit with elbow pads, it doesn't look good and never will. The Mustang at least tries. The looks are fine on the outside. The interior is fairly sad. The GT350 version of the Mustang is at least trying to be a modern sports car.

To quote Tyler Durden though, sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken. Throwing a big engine in a car does not make it a sports car.

Take a look at the episode of Top Gear where the test the old GT500. They take it sliding around a curve and it wobbles side to side must like a pick up truck might.

So, bigger, fatter, heavier, retro, plastic mess, yeah those are all wrong.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:32 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

There's no way I'd ever drive a 700 Mustang. Look at the Motor Trend head-to-head between the Mustang GT PP1 and The Camaro SS 1LE. The Camaro lapped willow springs 3.3 seconds quicker than the mustang and matched the GTR Nismo and 911 GT3 in the figure-8. That Camaro is a sports car in a muscle car body. The Mustang was body rolling through turns with a K-brace, upgraded suspension, roll bars, and Michelin PS4 tires. The Camaro has separated itself from the muscle cars of yore, and is constantly being held above the best of sports cars.

As for new mid-engine cars from other manufacturers, FCA(NOT FERRARI) can't afford to make a Mid-engine supercar, Ford won't make one outside of the GT, Honda thinks that the NSX is working, but Toyota is looking into making a supercar. Lotus is about to overhaul their lineup and send their new models to the U.S., which I can't wait to see! Aston Martin is also working on a mid-engine lineup, which is bound to be beautiful. I think that there's already enough supercars on the market. McLaren, Lamborghini, and Ferrari have established themselves on the market and mainstream brands are making halo models more than ever. I'm excited to see what the future holds.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:09 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
As you say, it will run '10s'. The quarter mile is completely irrelevant to any conversation involving a sports car. That is a statistic for muscle cars. A sports car should be light, it should be nimble, and most importantly it should go around turns better than most cars. A front engine car with the same horsepower and similarly setup suspension cannot keep up with a mid-engine car with the same. The Hellcat is a cartoon and the wrong direction for cars. The Camaro is the same car we have seen 500 times before, only this time it looks like a Hotwheel that a five year old would play with rather than a road going vehicle. I laugh every time I see one. It's like a suit with elbow pads, it doesn't look good and never will. The Mustang at least tries. The looks are fine on the outside. The interior is fairly sad. The GT350 version of the Mustang is at least trying to be a modern sports car.

To quote Tyler Durden though, sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken. Throwing a big engine in a car does not make it a sports car.

Take a look at the episode of Top Gear where the test the old GT500. They take it sliding around a curve and it wobbles side to side must like a pick up truck might.

So, bigger, fatter, heavier, retro, plastic mess, yeah those are all wrong.
"A sports car..."

Ya, Mustang, Challenger and Camaro AREN"T sports cars. So that right there is the biggest issue in your argument.

The main focus of these cars at the core has been power for a bargain. Camaro is certainly the best car of the three, results-wise on the track. Handling performance has always taken a back-seat to brute power. Most guys that buy these take them to the drag strip, not auto-cross.

Even if they are sports cars (and let's pretend they are for the sake of our argument), the performance of them NOW, vs 8 years ago is certainly a HUGE leap forward. The handling, braking, cornering, acceleration are all vastly improved over previous generations, and you can get into one for the $33k+ range brand new. That's in the wrong direction how?

For their class of vehicle, especially considering the market price, they are great performers that have continually made substantial strides in performance and performance dynamics that the consumer has demanded while maintaining relative affordability.

It was absurd for you to conflate Camaros, mustangs and challengers into the discussion about a 2-seat, mid-engine Viper. Absolute nonsense.

Last edited by C7pimp; 03-05-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:42 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Just because some person did a rendering of an ME Viper, that is so far from FCA moving down a business approval path for the car.

Did FCA not get their financial butts kicked with the Viper its last three years? Jeep and RAM and some nice muscle cars can not carry another big FCA financial loser, when they already have so many of those.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:52 PM
conceptmachine
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd like all domestic brands to carry a mid engine or two. Would be nice to have options, as I don't want foreign cars.

Fords GT is untouchable as far as production numbers go, other than that, I'd take one, especially with a V8 if it were offered.

That Viper thing pictured above...no thanks. Front end looks like crap IMO... was never impressed with the look of the viper.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:18 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
Did FCA not get their financial butts kicked with the Viper its last three years?
Anyone marketing an $80K sports car at $130 deserves (DESERVES) to get their <collective> buts kicked.

And if they had sold the last one at less than 10% above the previous one, they would still be rolling off the line.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:01 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

I'm pretty sure FCA has the mid-engine thing covered with that OTHER brand they sell....the one with the HORSE on it.

Since the start of the Viper, every owner/administration has stated that the Viper is NOT a Corvette competitor.

FCA has WAY bigger fish to fry than cooking up another Viper.

Last edited by jimmyb; 03-05-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:02 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

FCA is struggling to survive without a merger. I seriously doubt a rear mid engine low volume sports car is in the near future.

FCA owns alfa and maserati so I'm not quite sure why a dodge would be in the mix.

I'd first expect a Chinese company to purchase part of or the entire FCA brands.

I'd expect jeep and ram are among the most profitable targets and have the greatest growth in the future.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:37 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

Wait a minute, you can buy a new 700 horse Mustang for $40k?

If that's true where are all the dead ***** who bought one and wrapped it around the first tree they passed...?
Old 03-05-2018, 06:02 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Originally Posted by jimmyb

Since the start of the Viper, every owner/administration has stated that the Viper is NOT a Corvette competitor.
I don't think car companies get to pick who their competitors are. The public decides that, and the Viper is very clearly a primary competitor to the Corvette along with the Porsche 911.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:15 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Why would they call that a viper. Looks nothing like one. They should build it and call it something else.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:02 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Originally Posted by z edge
Wait a minute, you can buy a new 700 horse Mustang for $40k?

If that's true where are all the dead ***** who bought one and wrapped it around the first tree they passed...?

Lol, for real.

You can get a base, no option 2018 GT at invoice price ($33K). The FRPP supercharger kit I believe is $8K, so ya $41K, not $40K.

The power output on the 2017 is 670hp. The 2018 is 700hp. (exact same system as the Roush cars)
Old 03-05-2018, 07:04 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I don't think car companies get to pick who their competitors are. The public decides that, and the Viper is very clearly a primary competitor to the Corvette along with the Porsche 911.
Well noted Atari Prime. Spot on post, i.e., that we the buying public determine what are competitor cars to what we are considering.

The Viper was a very formidable competitor to the Corvette in days of yore, and we remember our excitement the first time a C5.R beat a Viper in the ALMS series (great race Ron Fellows and Andy Pilgrim).

But as a new vehicle, there is no Viper, and I believe that its chances of returning in the next decade as as good as the ME Corvette pioneering under $60K.

Last edited by elegant; 03-05-2018 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:56 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by C7pimp

Lol, for real.

You can get a base, no option 2018 GT at invoice price ($33K). The FRPP supercharger kit I believe is $8K, so ya $41K, not $40K.

The power output on the 2017 is 670hp. The 2018 is 700hp. (exact same system as the Roush cars)
That's crazy power for that car and price, i hate to say it but 700 horsepower is too much for most people. I really have no desire to own a Mustang....yeah they are nice cars but you see them (and Camaros, Challengers) at every corner so there really isn't much special about them unless you happen to have the GT350, ZL-1, or Hellcat. Even then, they still look a lot like the base car you see everywhere.

I am much happier with my Stingray that looks exotic and you really don't see one at everywhere you go. If i needed that much power i would be looking at a Z06 - and while i have been tempted to do that - i am happy with the 460 horse z51 car. Should i ever come into a bunch of money, maybe then it's time to grab a ZR-1

Get notified of new replies

To More MEs to come?

Old 03-05-2018, 08:02 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

While WE decided what Viper's competition was, Chrysler's various owners were steadfast that it was NOT a Corvette competitor. Doesn't matter now, Corvette WON.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:56 AM
ROUTE 66
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Ss 1le

Originally Posted by Quinten33
There's no way I'd ever drive a 700 Mustang. Look at the Motor Trend head-to-head between the Mustang GT PP1 and The Camaro SS 1LE. The Camaro lapped willow springs 3.3 seconds quicker than the mustang and matched the GTR Nismo and 911 GT3 in the figure-8. That Camaro is a sports car in a muscle car body. The Mustang was body rolling through turns with a K-brace, upgraded suspension, roll bars, and Michelin PS4 tires. The Camaro has separated itself from the muscle cars of yore, and is constantly being held above the best of sports cars.

As for new mid-engine cars from other manufacturers, FCA(NOT FERRARI) can't afford to make a Mid-engine supercar, Ford won't make one outside of the GT, Honda thinks that the NSX is working, but Toyota is looking into making a supercar. Lotus is about to overhaul their lineup and send their new models to the U.S., which I can't wait to see! Aston Martin is also working on a mid-engine lineup, which is bound to be beautiful. I think that there's already enough supercars on the market. McLaren, Lamborghini, and Ferrari have established themselves on the market and mainstream brands are making halo models more than ever. I'm excited to see what the future holds.
I am not sure which Camaro your talking about. The 1LE is a suspension package. [ Track Package ]. You can get A SS 1LE 6.2 L 455 HP / or a SS ZL1 1LE SC 6.2L 650 HP . Just trying to be helpful.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:19 AM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by ROUTE 66
I am not sure which Camaro your talking about. The 1LE is a suspension package. [ Track Package ]. You can get A SS 1LE 6.2 L 455 HP / or a SS ZL1 1LE SC 6.2L 650 HP . Just trying to be helpful.
I was referring to the SS 1LE when talking about the performance numbers/comparison. The ZL1 1LE is even better. The SS 1LE package adds the Magnetic Ride Control suspension, ZL1 brakes, eLSD, Dual-Mode exhaust, track-rated cooling(really works), Goodyear F1 Supercar 3 tires(like the Michelin PS4s), and the Suede seats, steering wheel, and shifter.

Quick Reply: More MEs to come?