Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Tech 2 question related to 1997 Chevy S-10 pickup

Old 03-22-2018, 09:18 AM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts
Default Tech 2 question related to 1997 Chevy S-10 pickup

I'm hoping someone here can answer this.

I've got a 2wd Chevy S-10 pickup. It has the 3.42:1 rear gears (RPO code GU6) and no posi (no G80 RPO code). I've hit the jackpot at the local pull your own parts yard. In addition to some other interesting parts, I've pulled the rear axle from one with 3.73:1 gears (GT4 RPO code) and the a positraction unit (G80 RPO code), verified by pulling the diff cover.

I'm sending this axle out to my drive line shop to have them put fresh clutches in the posi and shim it up "güttentight" and reassemble everything with fresh bearings and seals.

I know when I put this rear axle in my truck, my speedometer will read wrong, and I'm also pretty sure the ABS light will come on due to the gear change. The ABS is 3 channel on this truck, and it uses the VSS in the transmission for the rear wheel speed reading.

I'm pretty sure these issues can be fixed. Is that something that can be resolved with a Tech 2? And would one of the eBay Chinese "clone" Tech 2 units do the trick? Or would it need a trip to a $tealership service department and a real Tech 2?

I thought about posting this in the "F body" area, or even in the C5 tech area because I'm pretty sure my issue is identical to the issues with those cars when rear gears are swapped.

I also scored the factory hitch (RPO code VR4) and the "high payload, firm ride" springs for the rear (RPO code Z85) from that donor truck. It was a very good day at the yard.

Last edited by C6_Racer_X; 03-22-2018 at 09:20 AM.

Search this Thread