Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Don’t hold your breath for a Cadillac ME

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 03:07 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Default Don’t hold your breath for a Cadillac ME

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...2022-a-286362/

Last edited by Dominic Sorresso; 03-31-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:35 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

At my age, I don't hold my breath for anything.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:37 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Thank you Dominic. Here’s the whole article — which BTW dovetails nicely with another article two weeks ago in which the start of assembly line production of the Escala will be December, 2021.

Originally Posted by AutoWeek
NO HALO: DON'T EXPECT CADILLAC'S NEXT RANGE TOPPER UNTIL AFTER 2022!

Cadillac aims to get the rest of its business in check first

Cadillac will realign its product portfolio and get its business operations in line before releasing a "halo vehicle," according to brand president Johan de Nysschen.

That means consumers and dealers will have to wait until after 2022 for such a vehicle -- following the completion of Cadillac's previously announced product shift to three cars, three crossovers and the next-generation Escalade through 2021.

Those products, according to de Nysschen, will better position Cadillac and its dealers for future success and products, including a halo vehicle -- not necessarily a car -- that could include all-electric and internal combustion variants.

Once Cadillac fills in the white spaces in its portfolio, the brand "can, candidly, generate some growth, generate some revenue, put volume through our dealer organization so they can also invest in the elevation of the brand, all those logical things," de Nysschen told Automotive News at the auto show here.

Cadillac, on average, plans to release a new vehicle every six months by 2022. It started Tuesday with the reveal of the new XT4 compact crossover. That will be followed by the unveiling of a large crossover -- either XT6 or XT7 -- possibly late this year and then a replacement for the ATS compact sedan and potentially the CTS midsize sedan late next year.

Through 2021, de Nysschen said the brand will focus on a vehicle portfolio powered by internal combustion engines, including Cadillac-exclusive V-8 and V-6 offerings. Following that time frame, Cadillac will begin releasing electrified vehicles as part of General Motors' plan of 20 new all-electric or fuel-cell vehicles by 2023.

De Nysschen reconfirmed Cadillac is slated to receive a "disproportionate share" of those electrified vehicles.

"Since these new technologies are pricey, it really begins to make a lot of common sense, not in all cases, to roll out some of them in Cadillac first," he said. "We therefore see it as a great opportunity for Cadillac to take the lead from GM with rolling out these things. Not only for the company and economically commercializing these new technologies, but also for the brand elevation it will give to Cadillac."
The American brand, according to de Nysschen, sees electrification as an opportunity and "inflection point" to gain ground against German luxury brands such as Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz that have dominated the global luxury market for decades.

"Over many decades, they've built a reputation for excellent execution and great engineering. When it gets to electrification and a whole new set of considerations drive the buying decision, the fact that you made fantastic engines for three decades counts zip," he said.
The Germans aren't resting on their laurels, though. Each has announced aggressive electrification plans, including Audi planning 25 percent of its U.S. lineup to be EVs by 2025 and BMW announcing an onslaught of 25 electrified vehicles, including 12 EVs, during that same time frame. M-B has committed to launching 10 all-electric vehicles by 2022 -- around when Cadillac will begin shifting to the technology.

As Cadillac ramps up its EV offerings, de Nysschen said the brand will continue to offer vehicles with internal combustion engines, in some cases having "multiple entries" in the same segment with different powertrains.

"These new technologies are fascinating and disruptive but at the moment not yet all commercially feasible. After all, go look at how much money Tesla has made, to illustrate the point," he said, later adding that the internal combustion engine is "going to be around for a while."

The article “Cadillac 'halo vehicle' not coming until after 2022” originally appeared on autonews.com. (By Michael Wayland, Automotive New)
http://autoweek.com/article/new-york...til-after-2022
Old 03-31-2018, 03:59 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,516 Likes on 2,319 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I don't know anyone that can hold their breath that long!
Old 04-02-2018, 12:39 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

I like the "look at all the money Tesla has made" comment. Investors have been looking for that money and have yet to find it. Creditors are about to start looking for that money too...

The midengine car IS a caddy, but these ideas about theme car debuting at every auto show is just absurd. 2022 sounds about right, and the FRONT ENGINE C8 will likely show up around then too.

Luckily we will still have a whole host of people with their heads in the sand to keep us entertained until then.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:52 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

What we know:

There is a ME car well on it way to production.
It ain't a Corvette. (Tadge).
Old 04-02-2018, 04:31 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
What we know:

There is a ME car well on it way to production.
It ain't a Corvette. (Tadge).
Tadge also said there was no ZR1 either. He cannot comment on future product, so I don't put much credence in those types of statements.
If the ME is "well on its way" to production, it doesn't fit into the Caddy timeline while it fits very nicely in the C8 launch schedule.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:34 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
Tadge also said there was no ZR1 either. He cannot comment on future product, so I don't put much credence in those types of statements.
If the ME is "well on its way" to production, it doesn't fit into the Caddy timeline while it fits very nicely in the C8 launch schedule.
Replacing the C7 that hasn't even had a mid cycle refresh yet? There won't be a C8 out until the same time that they'e talking for the Caddy.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:41 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
I don't remember him saying that. The ME doesn't have to be either Cadillac or Corvette.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:40 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
At my age, I don't hold my breath for anything.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:12 PM
heavymetals
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

If Cadillac distributes the car, it will end up being a hot seller just like the XLRV was.

(sarcasm off)
Old 04-03-2018, 09:24 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by heavymetals
If Cadillac distributes the car, it will end up being a hot seller just like the XLRV was.

(sarcasm off)
Sorry u cannot compare the Cadillac distribution system (read dealers) to the one that currently supports the CORVETTE. If u want to insure a flop, go ahead and depend on the Cadillac sales force.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:36 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The supposed Cadillac marketing model was Audi. Audi recently announced no plans for a redesigned Audi R8 ....and most probably the model will end with this iteration.

Back when the R8 originally released there was a growing demand for Porsche 911 turbo competitors....and to be honest I'm not sure if Porsche was even owned by VW group at the time the R8 came out.

I believe the R 8 and the Lamborghini gallaro were very similiar underneath.

Today so many years later two seat sports cars even mid engine sports cars are not the exotica consumers dream of.

Today is filled with so much technology and instant communication via the internet and phones and Facebook, and instagram and snap chat etc...for whatever the reason...go anywhere cuv s are the hot halo vehicles for most people...

I personally believe jaguars I pace (EV) and Porsche Macan are today's average joe or persons halo dream...not rear mid engine sports cars...

I personally still want a rear mid engine 500 hp dct corvette..that's my halo vehicle..

But we as enthusiasts are the minority...

Still a market but a smaller niche..

The Cadillac will a few years after the c8 releases, a top dog c8 800 hp Zora or ZR1 version will release and then I believe a Cadillac twin turbo 550 hp full boat luxury interior with a ten speed torque converter automatic will release for a short run each year...

That's my opinion...right now cadillacs product portfolio needs cuvs in every shape and fast.

Cadillac is combining the ATS and CTS and revert back to the second gen CTS sizing..then they have the CT6...and probably a variant of the Escala on the slow selling CT6 platform.

Cadillacs platforms for its cars are world class leading ...cars just aren't selling...it's all cuvs that matter.

Even Lincoln has Cadillac best on cuvs ...

Next up for Cadillac will be full electrics to compete with the wave of luxury EV s from all luxury manufacturers....

I think GM has 23 full ev s coming by 2022...

All this has greater importance to Cadillac than a rear mid engine sports luxury R8 competitor ...

JDN was slightly out of date when he brought in the late great Audi plan to Cadillac...

Audis plan to greatness was impressive but the automotive environment has changed since then.

Even Lincoln finally gave up that ridiculous MKc , Mkz, mkt nomenclature and Cadillac just started changing to it with xt and Ct names....which again I believe it's a mistake for Cadillac..

Cadillac has great historic names to use...instead of these letters that none of us can remember...

Figure third year of c8 production that we will even see a Cadillac luxury sport version with its own engine and transmission....not to mention luxury at full tilt inside.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:59 AM
heavymetals
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Guess what?
http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/04/...e-is-real.html
Old 04-09-2018, 12:43 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Yeah, because CAR SALESMEN are the most trustworthy and reliable people on the planet. I'd figure every word out his mouth is a lie, lol.

Get notified of new replies

To Don’t hold your breath for a Cadillac ME