Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Mercedes SUV: New vs. Certified vs. On your own

Old 04-14-2018, 12:03 PM
Trapper Sean
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Mercedes SUV: New vs. Certified vs. On your own

Getting itchy to buy a new or different SUV. Problem: $$$$

Given these three choices, which way would you advise and why?

Door #1) New 2018 MB GLE43, msrp about $78,000. 385hp twin turbo 3.0 V6. 4/50 warranty. This is an E-class.

Door #2) Certified pre-owned 2017 MB GLS550, about $78,000, likely around 20k miles, with half or more of factory warranty remaining. Sticker was likely around $95k. 449hp twin turbo 4.7 V8. This is an S-class.

Door #3 Pre-owned 2016 MB GL63, about $78,000, likely around 30,000 miles, with most of the factory warranty gone by. Sticker was likely around $125,000. 550hp twin turbo 5.5 V8. This was top-of-the-line at that time.

Door #4) Pre-owned 2014-2015 MB GL63, about $55,000. Likely 50,000 miles, all factory warranty expired. Sticker was likely around $125,000. 550hp twin turbo 5.5 V8. This was top-of-the-line at that time.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:35 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Having had a few used MB you want one in warranty, period.
Engines are usually real durable but the electrical systems are very complicated and can cost a fortune to fix. Many parts are dealer only.
Id lease & return they depreciate too fast.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:43 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,191 Posts

I've found it best to lease both Mercedes and BMW. They both subsidize them quite a bit. Low payment and always have a basically new daily driver with a warranty. We just ordered our 3rd BMW. The 18 X5M and can't wait.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:31 PM
Millenium 04
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy the used from Carmax and get their warranty for 2K
Old 04-14-2018, 04:59 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

never -ever buy a german vehicle that ''DOESNT HAVE A FACTORY WARRENTY''
Old 04-14-2018, 09:39 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

Old 04-15-2018, 06:14 AM
Trapper Sean
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard a lot of third-hand horror stories about expensive repairs on German vehicles, especially electrical gremlins. The stories are all about BMWs, not MB. I don't directly know of anybody who has had such trouble with MB.

I see a lot of great-looking MB, several years old, driven by folks who could afford to lease new one.

I can do a lot of minor maintenance and repair myself. I can find parts on eBay and Amazon. I just changed all brake pads and sensors on an ML-series with AMG-specific brakes.

Do youse guys have clear recent knowledge of these MB repair catastrophes, or are you possibly just repeating a widely held belief that you've kind of heard about?

In other news, there exists here and there formerly factory-trained MB mechanics who have gone independent, and who can handle minor maintenance through moderately complex repairs on MB. Labor rate is maybe 2/3 the stealership rate. There is a great one around Orlando FL. There is a "smaller" guy around St Pete FL.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:13 AM
Capn Hook
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Of those options, I'd do door #2, simply cuz that's how I buy my "new" cars. I let someone else take the initial hit, and pick up a highly optioned car for 3/4 the price. As long as I get a CPO warranty I feel comfortable with the purchase. Plus this gives you two years or so to get a feel as to whether your car is gonna be an electrical nightmare or reliable. If the former happens, you can dump the car with minimal loss on depreciation and look for another.

Last edited by Capn Hook; 04-15-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:08 PM
E in Phila
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I am about to trade in a 2008 GL550 on a 2015 GL450. They are fantastic vehicles in many ways, but buying one out of warranty is an act of insanity. We had aftermarket coverage on the '08, and we used the hell out of it on the air suspension.

If you get an AMG with no warranty, be prepared for serious repair bills.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:35 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Having had a few used MB you want one in warranty, period.
Engines are usually real durable but the electrical systems are very complicated and can cost a fortune to fix. Many parts are dealer only.
Id lease & return they depreciate too fast.
This^^^. I used to work on many MB's, and this is truth. Great vehicles for about 100k miles, but then, get the wallet out to fix the electrical issues, oil leaks, brakes, etc. As a mechanic for almost 40 years, I would never own a MB....at least one built after about 1980. If you want a trouble free high end SUV, look at Lexus. Far superior in every way except for the European Status Symbol department.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:10 PM
Donuts
Race Director

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

Benz CPO is 12 months unlimited miles, and that's not near enough time. My brother had an ML and it had an electrical issue with tranny and it would leave him stuck in traffic all the time, would take it in and they couldn't reproduce the problem, dealership agreed to buy it back. Buy new or one year old or go with a Lexus LX

This coming from a guy who lusts after an MB GL AMG
Old 04-17-2018, 08:57 AM
E in Phila
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Donuts
Benz CPO is 12 months unlimited miles, and that's not near enough time. My brother had an ML and it had an electrical issue with tranny and it would leave him stuck in traffic all the time, would take it in and they couldn't reproduce the problem, dealership agreed to buy it back. Buy new or one year old or go with a Lexus LX

This coming from a guy who lusts after an MB GL AMG
Yeah, you have to pay to extend it. For our GL 450 we paid $3,500 to extend it by two years. With remaining factory warranty plus CPO that gave us just about 4 years... so that's about how long we'll keep the truck.

We got a much better deal on an Audi S5... total of 6 years with no additional cost.

We prefer German vehicles... but you have to factor warranty coverage into the cost.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:54 AM
Donuts
Race Director

Originally Posted by E in Phila
Yeah, you have to pay to extend it. For our GL 450 we paid $3,500 to extend it by two years. With remaining factory warranty plus CPO that gave us just about 4 years... so that's about how long we'll keep the truck.

We got a much better deal on an Audi S5... total of 6 years with no additional cost.

We prefer German vehicles... but you have to factor warranty coverage into the cost.
That's not bad really, considering..

All you've had is suspension issues with your GL's?
Old 04-17-2018, 10:44 AM
E in Phila
Team Owner

That's not bad really, considering..

All you've had is suspension issues with your GL's?
We just picked up the 450 yesterday, so too soon to say.

The turbo V6 feels about as fast as the V8 in the 550 (doesn't sound as good though). And we went from a 2008 to a 2015 so the tech is much nicer. The 550 was a bit cooler looking (it looked beefier and had great wheels), but the 450 looks sharp too.

The 550 was great other than the air suspension, and we traded it in with 100,250 miles on it. Still looked like a new vehicle and drove great, and the interior held up really well. Overall we loved the truck, which is why we went with another GL.

BUT, the air suspension issues would have cost a fortune without the warranty. The 450 seems to have a less complex system, so hopefully it will be better, but we wouldn't risk it without coverage.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:50 AM
Donuts
Race Director

Originally Posted by E in Phila
We just picked up the 450 yesterday, so too soon to say.

The turbo V6 feels about as fast as the V8 in the 550 (doesn't sound as good though). And we went from a 2008 to a 2015 so the tech is much nicer. The 550 was a bit cooler looking (it looked beefier and had great wheels), but the 450 looks sharp too.

The 550 was great other than the air suspension, and we traded it in with 100,250 miles on it. Still looked like a new vehicle and drove great, and the interior held up really well. Overall we loved the truck, which is why we went with another GL.

BUT, the air suspension issues would have cost a fortune without the warranty. The 450 seems to have a less complex system, so hopefully it will be better, but we wouldn't risk it without coverage.
The GL is a sharp ride and one of the few with a useful 3rd row. I'm liking Range Rover sport but no 3rd row and possibly more maintenance issues.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:02 AM
E in Phila
Team Owner

The GL is a sharp ride and one of the few with a useful 3rd row. I'm liking Range Rover sport but no 3rd row and possibly more maintenance issues.
I agree on both. I love the way Range Rovers look inside and out, but don't really consider them for both of those reasons.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:32 PM
mig1980
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

As many have said, most European cars can cost an arm and a leg to repair if out of warranty. I owned an SL55 AMG years ago and was one of the best cars I have ever owned. Technology-wise it was outdated for the times but the fit and finish was the best I had owned.

That being said, I have factory extended warranty and during my ownership (3 years) the warranty paid out close to $20K in repairs. Never would I own a car like that without warranty.

Something people tend to forget is that just because a car depreciates and is now affordable doesn't mean the repairs depreciate as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Mercedes SUV: New vs. Certified vs. On your own

Old 04-19-2018, 11:14 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,418 Likes on 2,789 Posts

The irony of the MB... people who can afford to own one outside of warranty can afford a new one.

I wpuld just get a Durango SRT and be done with it.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:17 AM
E in Phila
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FAUEE
The irony of the MB... people who can afford to own one outside of warranty can afford a new one.

I wpuld just get a Durango SRT and be done with it.
Not true, the cars depreciate like crazy, and warranty coverage cost are just a small bump up.

A Dodge Durango SRT is a nice choice if you are looking to kill every minivan and SUV in sight in drag races. But if your wife wants a luxurious vehicle to drive the kids around in, something extremely comfortable for long family trips, a Benz GL is a damn fine choice. When it comes to luxury they aren't in the same league.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:05 PM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

buddy has an sl500 convertible. gorgeous car. it's about 10-12 yrs old or so, +/-. basically it's pristine.

took it in for a routine electric gremlin and it was a $3k trip. the part alone was more than half of that.

the car is worth maybe 15 grand. maybe.

pass!

Originally Posted by Berto
I've heard a lot of third-hand horror stories about expensive repairs on German vehicles, especially electrical gremlins. The stories are all about BMWs, not MB. I don't directly know of anybody who has had such trouble with MB.

I see a lot of great-looking MB, several years old, driven by folks who could afford to lease new one.

I can do a lot of minor maintenance and repair myself. I can find parts on eBay and Amazon. I just changed all brake pads and sensors on an ML-series with AMG-specific brakes.

Do youse guys have clear recent knowledge of these MB repair catastrophes, or are you possibly just repeating a widely held belief that you've kind of heard about?

In other news, there exists here and there formerly factory-trained MB mechanics who have gone independent, and who can handle minor maintenance through moderately complex repairs on MB. Labor rate is maybe 2/3 the stealership rate. There is a great one around Orlando FL. There is a "smaller" guy around St Pete FL.

Search this Thread