Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Thank goodness it wasn't the Vette

Old 04-30-2018, 09:53 AM
M_G
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Thank goodness it wasn't the Vette

Had the cars backed out of the garage and parked in the street today for some spring cleaning. Getting all the sand off the floor, moving the snowblower and shovels to the back and bringing the bikes and summer gear out, etc. Neighbor wasn't paying attention and backed out of their driveway all the way across the road and crushed my truck. She drives a Suburban and hit it hard enough she might have backed right over the front end of the Vette if it had been there. At least the truck is a lease and the weather is finally nice enough I can drive the Vette while the truck is in the shop getting fixed up. All things considered I handled the situation better than I thought I would have. Its a good thing I like these neighbors.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:07 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

You posted this in C7 Gen why?
Old 04-30-2018, 10:10 AM
fourmat
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

she wailed that door glad it wasn't the vette
Old 04-30-2018, 11:02 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

You had it parked sideways in the drive?
Old 04-30-2018, 11:06 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Lighten up Francis! Holy crap. He was just saying he was glad it was NOT his Vette that could have been parked there. It is really not that hard to figure.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:14 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

^^^I agree. This is becoming a surly crowd.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:14 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

She must have been flying out the drive. Was she late for something?
Old 04-30-2018, 11:18 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Because he owns a Corvette like you and me and someone backed into his Denali and he's bummed about it and wanted people with similar interest to commiserate with him.

Basic human stuff. Watch and learn.

She must have been flying out the drive. Was she late for something?
I never generalize about Asian drivers or women drivers, as I think that's totally unfair. But old drivers are fair game. It's like once you hit 55 you just stop shoulder checking and "hope for the best" when it's time to back up. Was she older by chance?

Last edited by davepl; 04-30-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:28 AM
Taevon lee
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 47 Posts

Take it easy on us older drivers please! Your times coming, fyi I’ve been pulled out in front of, ran off the road, cut off, and backed into, all by younger drivers. No ones perfect, no matter what there age.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:49 PM
gtredlt4
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 34 Posts

Same thing happened years ago - destroyed the rear driver's side quarter panel of my truck (I'd only had it for 6 months) and had to also replace a wheel. He said he saw the truck but he hit it anyway. His insurance paid for it all but I screwed up and didn't have it undercoated like the rest of the truck had been and got rust all over it. Well next summer she's gone and I'm getting a new truck finally. Sure hope your's turns out better.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:50 PM
M_G
Advanced

[QUOTE=DAVE396LT1;1597103433]Because he owns a Corvette like you and me and someone backed into his Denali and he's bummed about it and wanted people with similar interest to commiserate with him.

Basic human stuff. Watch and learn.

This hit the nail on the head. Real bummer even though it was my truck. Had this been next week when the Vette is back in my garage for the summer it would have been parked here and not my truck, and the damage would be even worse.

I was parked on the street right above my drive because I was using the leaf blower to blast all the sand from winter out of the garage and didn't want to blow it all right onto the cars in the drive. Not sure where she was going, but had her kids in the car. Thankfully there wasn't a person there because if she didn't see my truck she certainly would not have seen a person/dog etc. We live at the end of sub division with no outlet, so there typically isn't much vehicle traffic but a lot of people walk between our sub and the neighboring one which is closed off by a gate right where my car was parked.

Last edited by M_G; 04-30-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:15 PM
M_G
Advanced

Originally Posted by gtredlt4
Same thing happened years ago - destroyed the rear driver's side quarter panel of my truck (I'd only had it for 6 months) and had to also replace a wheel. He said he saw the truck but he hit it anyway. His insurance paid for it all but I screwed up and didn't have it undercoated like the rest of the truck had been and got rust all over it. Well next summer she's gone and I'm getting a new truck finally. Sure hope your's turns out better.
Luckily this truck is a lease. I like it, but not sold on the A8, liked the A6 in my 2015 much better. This will probably seal the deal for not keeping this one long term, but its a pretty straight forward fix. Just need a new door and spray to blend it in.

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Was she older by chance?
Early 40's, 2 kids in the car with her.

I'll be the first to admit I'm terrible about judging other drivers, and often times women. My wife yells at me all the time because when I'm stuck behind a light and someone isn't paying attention my go to is "probably a woman on her phone". Luckily we get along with our neighbors, our kids are friends, etc. Had it been in a parking lot and someone I didn't know I probably wouldn't have kept my cool as much. Plus, I know there will be follow up and they will take responsibility here. Its proving to be a pain working with their USAA claims rep who won't return my calls, but in the end it will get fixed and it won't be a claim on my policy.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:03 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,339 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Two points:

A) women drivers, no survivors;
B) you should have a loaner vehicle, while yours is in the shop, courtesy of HER insurance company.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:02 PM
wisoutlaw
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

55? I'm 62 and quit looking over my shoulder so long ago I can't remember when. What year is it again?

I never generalize about Asian drivers or women drivers, as I think that's totally unfair. But old drivers are fair game. It's like once you hit 55 you just stop shoulder checking and "hope for the best" when it's time to back up. Was she older by chance?[/QUOTE]
Old 06-22-2018, 06:18 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,339 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by wisoutlaw
55? I'm 62 and quit looking over my shoulder so long ago I can't remember when. What year is it again? It's like once you hit 55 you just stop shoulder checking and "hope for the best" when it's time to back up. Was she older by chance?
It's not that you just stop looking, it's that your ancient neck muscles won't allow you to turn that readily, anymore. Believe me, it's no picnic getting older....
Old 06-24-2018, 09:20 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Funny, after writing this a few weeks ago I blew a disc out in my neck and now can't turn my head at all!
Old 06-29-2018, 09:36 PM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

"woman" "Suburban"...that's why this happened.

Get notified of new replies

To Thank goodness it wasn't the Vette

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thank goodness it wasn't the Vette