Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

What car should I buy next?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 09:38 AM
MusicalCars
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What car should I buy next?

Itching for a new toy, but not sure what will make me happy this time. trying not to change cars every 5 minutes so I want to get something I'm going to keep for a while. Must be auto trans & buying used. If new, would be a lease.

Short list of half the year toy so far is:
-Classic muscle car (Chevelle preferred)
-Charger Hellcat
-2014-15 F-Type V8 S
-C7 Corvette

Short list for daily driver & toy in one is:
-Charger Hellcat
-Boosted S550 Mustang GT
-Gen2 CTS-V
-2014+ M4/M3
-2016+ S7/S6

Any MB models I should consider?

Yesterday I went to drive several cars.

First, it was a BMW M4. I wish the HUD was nicer & more involved. E60 M5 had a great HUD. The Logic 7 stereo was garbage. So, if there wasn't an option for better stereo from the factory, the M4 is out. Other than that, the car was a blast to drive.

Next, I was off to drive a '12 CTS-V & 2016 Camaro SS. Drove the Camaro & could not get into a comfy seating position no matter what. Also, don't like the vents down low. I drove it in comfort & track modes. Track mode made the car a huge rattle trap. So Camaro is out. If the ZL1 has the same seats, it's also out. Then I asked to drive the V & was told just took an out of state deposit on it. LOL yea right. Too lazy to pull from showroom.

Then I was off to check out an F-Type. Get there & car is not on the lot & no employees to be found. I was told via email right before I left that they had it. **** that place.

Next up was a Charger Scat Pack. Again, they know I'm coming. Oh, it was just sold. **** you too. So I walk over to the Dodge dealer to check out a Hellcat & they are super busy & am told someone will be with me. No one ever was. I walked out.

Now I'm off to see a 2016 S3 that I verified was there. Another ******* dealer with "We just sold it" bs! Come on, this is not how you treat people. Stop lying about cars being available. GFY.

Then I checked out a '17 Mustang GT Convertible. Cooled seats! I hope what I get next has them. I love em. I liked it a lot more than the Camaro. I kept the top up. Shaker stereo seems good, but that has to be tested with top down to be sure. Didn't seem like Ford wanted to make it easy to select where you want your AC/heat air coming from. I enjoyed driving it. Tried it in track & sport & comfort or whatever it was. Rode nice in all 3. Exhaust note FTW in track mode. I would have to do something with all that silver trim around the vents along the dash. That needs to be Carbon fiber or something.

Finally, off to Audi to drive a 2016 S7 & a new S3. Not sure which I had more fun driving, the M4 or the S7. S7 wins on torque & interior I believe. I don't like how every manufacturer seems to be slapping these app/nav screens in the middle of th dash with no way to retract or move it. Audi screens go into the dash. Point for Audi! The S3 was super fun to toss around and the exhaust note in dynamic mode was bitchin'. I'm also loving the auto rev matching these new cars have. Obviously, the S7 wins on interior vs S3, but I feel the S3 interior is way too cheap for what you're paying. Bland & desolate dash looks like the cheap plastic dash in my Jetta. Put the S7 interior in the S3 & you have a winner. I believe the S3 is FWD based AWD, though. Bleh... I didn't get a chance to see if the stereo is any good. I"m going to have to look up specs on the other S cars to see how they compare performance wise. Might save me some money.

Still need to drive a C7 Vette & Hellcat again. Once I drive them, I'll know if I'm still in big HP half the year toy mode or time for a really nice fast DD like the S7...I hope...

Also, new cars are too damn big & you know you're in a land yacht while driving one! Ugh...

Last edited by MusicalCars; 05-30-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:14 AM
E.O.D.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MusicalCars
Itching for a new toy, but not sure what will make me happy this time. trying not to change cars every 5 minutes so I want to get something I'm going to keep for a while. Must be auto trans & buying used. If new, would be a lease.

Short list of half the year toy so far is:
-Classic muscle car (Chevelle preferred)
-6th Gen ZL1 (Only if the seats are not the same as in the SS)
-Charger Hellcat
-2014-15 F-Type V8 S
-C7 Corvette
-Wide body C6 Vette (Non-Z06 b/c hardtop FTL. However, I've had 2 C6 Vettes already so likely time for something else)

Short list for daily driver & toy in one is:
-Charger Hellcat
-Boosted S550 Mustang GT
-Gen2 CTS-V
-M4/M3
-RS3/S3
-S7

Any MB models I should consider?

Yesterday I went to drive several cars.

First, it was a BMW M4. I wish the HUD was nicer & more involved. E60 M5 had a great HUD. The Logic 7 stereo was garbage. So, if there wasn't an option for better stereo from the factory, the M4 is out. Other than that, the car was a blast to drive.

Next, I was off to drive a '12 CTS-V & 2016 Camaro SS. Drove the Camaro & could not get into a comfy seating position no matter what. Also, don't like the vents down low. I drove it in comfort & track modes. Track mode made the car a huge rattle trap. So Camaro is out. If the ZL1 has the same seats, it's also out. Then I asked to drive the V & was told just took an out of state deposit on it. LOL yea right. Too lazy to pull from showroom.

Then I was off to check out an F-Type. Get there & car is not on the lot & no employees to be found. I was told via email right before I left that they had it. **** that place.

Next up was a Charger Scat Pack. Again, they know I'm coming. Oh, it was just sold. **** you too. So I walk over to the Dodge dealer to check out a Hellcat & they are super busy & am told someone will be with me. No one ever was. I walked out.

Now I'm off to see a 2016 S3 that I verified was there. Another ******* dealer with "We just sold it" bs! Come on, this is not how you treat people. Stop lying about cars being available. GFY.

Then I checked out a '17 Mustang GT Convertible. Cooled seats! I hope what I get next has them. I love em. I liked it a lot more than the Camaro. I kept the top up. Shaker stereo seems good, but that has to be tested with top down to be sure. Didn't seem like Ford wanted to make it easy to select where you want your AC/heat air coming from. I enjoyed driving it. Tried it in track & sport & comfort or whatever it was. Rode nice in all 3. Exhaust note FTW in track mode. I would have to do something with all that silver trim around the vents along the dash. That needs to be Carbon fiber or something.

Finally, off to Audi to drive a 2016 S7 & a new S3. Not sure which I had more fun driving, the M4 or the S7. S7 wins on torque & interior I believe. I don't like how every manufacturer seems to be slapping these app/nav screens in the middle of th dash with no way to retract or move it. Audi screens go into the dash. Point for Audi! The S3 was super fun to toss around and the exhaust note in dynamic mode was bitchin'. I'm also loving the auto rev matching these new cars have. Obviously, the S7 wins on interior vs S3, but I feel the S3 interior is way too cheap for what you're paying. Bland & desolate dash looks like the cheap plastic dash in my Jetta. Put the S7 interior in the S3 & you have a winner. I believe the S3 is FWD based AWD, though. Bleh... I didn't get a chance to see if the stereo is any good. I"m going to have to look up specs on the other S cars to see how they compare performance wise. Might save me some money.

Still need to drive a C7 Vette & Hellcat again. Once I drive them, I'll know if I'm still in big HP half the year toy mode or time for a really nice fast DD like the S7...I hope...

Also, new cars are too damn big & you know you're in a land yacht while driving one! Ugh...
While it wasn't a Charger, I had a 2016 Challenger SRT (with 392) with the 8 spd auto. The transmission was one of the main reasons I wanted that car over a Mustang or Camaro. While the other two have paddle shifters, none of them are as quick to respond as the ZF designed unit in the Mopars.

Do they all have lightning quick shifts in auto mode? Sure. But when you start working the paddles, you'll be disappointed in the Mustang and Camaro.

I may be mistaken, but I believe the F-type has the same ZF designed auto transmission. If so, I'd place it high on the list if you want to be engaged in manual gear shifts.

Last edited by E.O.D.; 05-27-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:21 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Just sold a '15 F Type V8 convertible. Great fun car. Would have kept it a year but my situation is would have to register and pay tax. One fact you should know; Starting in 2016 the warranty is five years not four. Happy to help you find a good one.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:14 PM
MusicalCars
Instructor

Originally Posted by hope2
Just sold a '15 F Type V8 convertible. Great fun car. Would have kept it a year but my situation is would have to register and pay tax. One fact you should know; Starting in 2016 the warranty is five years not four. Happy to help you find a good one.
How would you say it compares to driving a C7?
Old 05-27-2018, 07:06 PM
hope2
Safety Car

How would you say it compares to driving a C7?
I've had two C7's. The Pirelli tires are slippery on the Jag, exhaust sound is way cooler than C7, as long as you have the "Performance Package". Cars are very close performance wise. Technology is better on C7. Must say I enjoyed both the same.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:25 PM
MusicalCars
Instructor

Originally Posted by hope2
I've had two C7's. The Pirelli tires are slippery on the Jag, exhaust sound is way cooler than C7, as long as you have the "Performance Package". Cars are very close performance wise. Technology is better on C7. Must say I enjoyed both the same.
Is it true that a tune only will put the V8 S cars at same performance level as a stock R?
Old 05-28-2018, 01:27 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

If I were looking to buy today it would be one of two:
Chevy SS sedan (which I currently own)
Dodge Scat Pack.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:48 PM
MusicalCars
Instructor

Did some more driving today. First up, was a 2017 F-Type w/the blown 6 banger b/c no local V8 S. It'd take some getting used to looking out the small rear window & those blindspots, oof. I was very impressed with the interior. Even the headliner was leather. Had power adjustable side bolsters on the seats which I love & miss from my previous BMW. That stuff is a big deal for twigs like me that slide around in just about all seats. I like the interior layout and thought the center HVAC vents going into the dash when not in use was cool, but would rather not have that as it's just another thing to break. When resting my hand on the shifter (Automatic) I felt like it might break off in my hand. Obviously, I am exaggerating, but only to get my point across. Overall, I really like it. I'd only buy the V8 S, though. I wish it had cooled seats, though.

Next, I went to Chapman Dodge in Horsham to check out a Charger Hellcat. I was there Saturday, but no one ever helped me so I left. To be fair, they were super busy. I should not have gone back. They refused a Hellcat test drive giving the usual everyone wants them 0 miles. Well, the car did not have 0 miles on it so I went to their Ford dealer years ago to check out a GT500 (I drove up in a new CTS-V I had for extended test drive) and they refused a drive as well. **** that family of dealerships.

Then I was off to check out a 2017 RS3. Oh man, super fun to drive. No longer considering an S3 thanks to this thing. Same interior, of course. So my same issue with the dash stands. Way too plain and baron IMO. They should have at leather leather wrapped something there. S3 has power seats, but RS3 has manual seats. WTF? Not a deal breaker as you adjust em once & forget it. It was super fun to drive.

Finally, off to check out another S550 Mustang, 2016 C7 Stingray & 392 Challenger. I have driven C7s before, but it has been a while. I didn't even bother driving the Mustang after sitting in the C7. This one did not have the competition seats, but still held me well. I was surprised. Of course, I'd rather have competition seats. Dare I say I felt at home driving the C7. After owning 2 C6 Vettes, maybe I'm just a Vette guy. C7 owners, how is the stock Bose system? If you had/have a C6 as well, please chime in. We all know the stock C6 Bose system is hot garbage. I'm HOPING that is NOT the case in the C7. I like my tunes, I like bass & I like it loud. I was hoping that my decision would be easy & I would just fall in love with something I can daily drive all year. Ugh!

Then I drove a new 392 Challenger w/the auto trans. Holy hell, you know you are in a land yacht. From a dig she wants to light the tires up. Punch it from a highway roll, you feel all the weight. I'm sure the extra 200 HP of the Hellcat solves that. With that said, if driving a HC Charger feels the same as driving the Challenger, I think I'm out. I was afraid I was gonna whack the curb when I parked it in an end spot. For my driving style, I think I need some more nimble. Anyone know if the Charger feels as big as the Challenger?

I've got to give another M4 a chance as I think the one I drove either had stereo issues or I missed some settings.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:08 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Even if you swear you will never drive an SUV, go find a Jeep dealer willing to let you test drive a Grand Cherokee Trackhawk. One magazine tester called it the "best, dumbest vehicle in production"... thanks to the fact no one needs a 707hp AWD SUV.

It is a super fun vehicle in a very distinct way.

I'm not saying you should buy one, but it is something else to try just for grins.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:12 PM
MusicalCars
Instructor

Originally Posted by WA 2 FST
Even if you swear you will never drive an SUV, go find a Jeep dealer willing to let you test drive a Grand Cherokee Trackhawk. One magazine tester called it the "best, dumbest vehicle in production"... thanks to the fact no one needs a 707hp AWD SUV.

It is a super fun vehicle in a very distinct way.

I'm not saying you should buy one, but it is something else to try just for grins.
Dealer I was at today has one. I can't afford it. Not even gonna tease myself.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:33 AM
hope2
Safety Car

F Type V8 S is totally different animal than a 6 cyl. Bought my V8 S type in January with 14k for slightly less than half of $106k msrp. Quite a bargain.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:34 PM
junkyard_dog72
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2016 C4 of the Year Finalist

What about a browner GT-R? It could be perfect for daily driving and for fun. Or any of the Challenger offerings (T/A, Scat Pack, Shaker come to mind). There's the ATS-V as well
Old 05-29-2018, 09:08 PM
MusicalCars
Instructor

Originally Posted by junkyard_dog72
What about a browner GT-R? It could be perfect for daily driving and for fun. Or any of the Challenger offerings (T/A, Scat Pack, Shaker come to mind). There's the ATS-V as well
GT-Rs bore the **** out of me. After yesterday, I think I need another vette. I felt at home, once again, in the C7. So I put up a WTB ad here already
Old 05-30-2018, 01:52 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

My vote is for an RS3.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:14 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

I vote RS3 as well
Old 05-30-2018, 06:06 PM
MusicalCars
Instructor

RS3 is no longer a contender

Last edited by MusicalCars; 05-30-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:09 AM
SteveL2
Team Owner

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I have a little over 3 years in a 2013 cts-v and have really enjoyed it. Since you sound like a mix between a sedan and vette kind of guy you might revisit it, although perhaps your previous extended trial proved otherwise.

My interior has begun to bore me, but an easy bump in horsepower made this a great value compromise between daily driver and plenty of power when the soul calls for it.

Last edited by SteveL2; 06-02-2018 at 02:09 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To What car should I buy next?

Old 06-02-2018, 10:02 AM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

RS3 is no longer a contender
Then you chose poorly....jk man. What made you eliminate it?
Old 06-02-2018, 05:21 PM
Porsche1
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

if you like sedans which i see you have audi a7/s7 listed, i would highly recommend the rs7, i just bought one and its a beast of a car
Old 06-02-2018, 05:54 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

go look at ferrari's

Quick Reply: What car should I buy next?