Hurt my neck in a Tesla - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Hurt my neck in a Tesla

Old 06-14-2018, 11:41 AM   #1  
DAVE396LT1
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,313 Times in 874 Posts
Default Hurt my neck in a Tesla

Only posting this here because I drive a Z06 daily and my wife picked up a P100D sedan, which of course I had to "evaluate" thoroughly...

You all know how quick it is on paper (2.28 to 60) and it does indeed feel MONSTROUSLY quicker than the Z, but when the Z hooks, it's a better and more fun ride. That's all I'll say about that.

But long story short I've been having trouble with my neck for about a month. I woke up on Thursday and it was really quite bad, probably from a combination of the gym and working under the dashboard on my old car. But I took a friend out for a quick drive in the new P100D.

To show him the "instant" nature of the torque, I put it in "Starfield Ludicrous" mode or whatever, then just "stabbed" the pedal from about 10mph. Our necks snapped back and "POW" I oozed out the remaining goo from my C6/C7 spinal vertebrae.

Yes, I've got the MRI to prove it, and yes it really, really sucks, and no I can't move very much. I had the cortisone injection and it didn't do much, apparently, it's a 5-6 week ordeal. Stupid 900+ lb-ft of torque.

Of course there was a pre-existing aggravation there, I'd already done -something- to my neck, but it was the Tesla that put me in the hospital!

I'm sure the Z could have done it if someone else had been driving and I had drag radials on it though...

Here's the "red and black" section. We might be stuck in a rut!
Attached Images

Last edited by DAVE396LT1; 06-14-2018 at 04:17 PM.
DAVE396LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:50 AM   #2  
Thomasmoto
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

My wife is the proud new owner of a 2018 Tesla Model X P100D and she jumps out 2 cars on me at the drag strip. They are stupid fast! The power train is the same on both models, but the X is an SUV and weighs 1,000 lbs more than the S. I caught her at the 330 ft mark and beat her by about 3 cars in the 1/8th mile. We haven't had an opportunity to run hers on a 1/4 mile track yet.
And, YES, they will find any weak spots in your body on a Ludacris launch.
Thomasmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:03 PM   #3  
DAVE396LT1
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,313 Times in 874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasmoto View Post
And, YES, they will find any weak spots in your body on a Ludacris launch.
It's true... the only way to duplicate that is with a fast manual car in first gear with great tires. And I was the driver, who knew it was coming!

It'd be interesting to read the G-meter from the Z and the P100D from a 20mph roll, for example. The Tesla will still smash the Z up to the end of the quarter, but I'm curious how the G loads compare!

Last edited by DAVE396LT1; 06-14-2018 at 12:03 PM.
DAVE396LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:18 PM   #4  
Thomasmoto
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

BTW my wife is a chiropractor, it's a shame that you are so far away. I know that she could help you given the opportunity. Get well soon.
Thomasmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Hurt my neck in a Tesla
  •