Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

daily driver, rear caliper spring noise

Old 07-12-2018, 09:02 AM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Default daily driver, rear caliper spring noise

I have a 2006 G35 that I use as a daily driver. Yesterday I noticed that when applying and releasing the brake pedal the driver side rear caliper makes a sound that I describe as the noise an old metal frame bed makes. The harder you press the pedal the louder the noise. You do not have to be moving for the noise to happen and the reverse of the sound happens when the caliper releases.

The brakes were redone around 4 years ago (but the car only gets around 4k miles a year) including pads rotors and all of the caliper pieces re-greased. I am confident that the source of the noise and the actions required to recreate it that it is in fact something in the caliper, the car does not exhibit any others signs (braking performance is usual and it doesn't pull to one side or the other)

I would prefer not to do more work than needed so if this is just a clean, grease, bleed, and reassemble; great. If however this is likely a failing caliper then I would prefer to order a new caliper and just replace it. If I replace the caliper do I need to replace the other one on the same axle?
Old 07-12-2018, 11:56 AM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Check the pad. Go from there.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:06 PM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Originally Posted by sublime1996525
Check the pad. Go from there.
thank you; I will do that. The Akebono pads that I use have in the past gotten the groove inbetween the front and back section of the pad plugged with grime. I will pull the pad out, inspect and regrease everything and reassemble.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:38 PM
clearwaterms
Drifting

*update*

The lower caliber slide bolt had seized and broken, this allowed the caliber to move ever so slightly. The slide bolt was seized into the bracket so it required a new bracket, new slide bolts, and re-greasing everything. Total repair was around $70 with a small container of brake fluid to bleed the system for the rear two calibers (since I was back there)

Get notified of new replies

To daily driver, rear caliper spring noise

Search this Thread