Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Ever since trading in the C7.....

Old 07-25-2018, 10:00 AM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Default Ever since trading in the C7.....

Most of you know I traded in my c7 a little over a year ago. I went with a Charger Hellcat to accommodate my family needs. The car was an absolute blast to drive and a pleasure to own. I don’t regret my decision at all! That being said however after a little over a year the raw power of the car and it being pretty one dimensional started to get a little boring. While the car was awesome at what it does it’s terrible at what it doesn’t do. I started missing the handling of my corvette. Obviously a corvette still doesn’t suit my current needs as I need a backseat so I started shopping around. I fell in love with the f80 M3 and bought one this weekend. Really hits the mark for those of us who want a sports car and need a back seat. The car handles better than anything else in my price range of $50-55k makes a really decent amount of power (when you figure out the throttle) has a ton of great tech and is just super fun to drive.

I know this isn’t c7 related but I’m also sure more of us have become moms and dads since my last discussion regarding this so I figured I’d post an update.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:30 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Good to hear from you Brooklyn. Have owned all the previous-gen M3s, and they were all a joy to drive in the handling dept. Congrats.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:40 AM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Foosh
Good to hear from you Brooklyn. Have owned all the previous-gen M3s, and they were all a joy to drive in the handling dept. Congrats.
Thanks buddy.... figure I’ll keep it for a year or so and try something new then. I want to be out of it before the warranty expires.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:09 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

That's a very good idea! I never kept any German car past the warranty period.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:38 AM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

I'd take an M3 over a Hellcat any day.

Correction, I'd NEVER buy a Hellcat under any circumstances.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:37 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JGarland

Correction, I'd NEVER buy a Hellcat under any circumstances.
I wonder if you’ve driven one. If you haven’t you might want to give it a try. It’s a very fun car to drive. A little one dimensional but fun still. It’s also extremely comfortable for a long haul and very roomy. Again it’s no sports car but it’s definitly not something to overlook or snub your nose at.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:41 PM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by brooklync5

I wonder if you’ve driven one. If you haven’t you might want to give it a try. It’s a very fun car to drive. A little one dimensional but fun still. It’s also extremely comfortable for a long haul and very roomy. Again it’s no sports car but it’s definitly not something to overlook or snub your nose at.
Just not my cup-o-tea.

Handling is more important to me than going fast in a straight line.

Plus the styling.

M3 is a gorgeous car.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:45 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Me too, the M3 is such a well rounded car overall, where the Hellcat is basically just a powerful motor in a heavy outdated platform.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:48 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by brooklync5

Really hits the mark for those of us who want a sports car and need a back seat. The car handles better than anything else in my price range of $50-55k
I know this isn’t c7 related but I’m also sure more of us have become moms and dads since my last discussion regarding this so I figured I’d post an update.
I agree this is their niche.
Congrats, lol, there are going to be more Bimmer fanboys on here than on Bimmerforums.

Last edited by Parcival; 07-25-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:52 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Just not my cup-o-tea.

Handling is more important to me than going fast in a straight line.

Plus the styling.

M3 is a gorgeous car.
Thanks.... yes the m3 is really a beautiful car, I love the styling both inside and out, and the handling and power delivery is awseome. Trust me though if you ever have a chance, drive a hellcat it’ll make you smile.

Last edited by brooklync5; 07-25-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:54 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

"Bimmer fanboys?" I don't think so. I'm not a fanboy of any manufacturer, and there are a lot of folks like me around here. I've owned at least one of just about everything produced, and I buy what I like best for the particular application.

I'm actually very negative on BMWs these days, and the M3/4 is the only model I'd even consider.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:33 PM
shiv.nandak
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I am glad the OP likes the F30 M3. But i would like to post a different experience. I actually went from a F82 M4 to a C7 z06. The main reason was that i felt BMW has gone too soft. On paper the F80/F82 has amazing specs. Handling and power band are great. The problem is that the exhaust sounds terrible, steering feel is lacking and it is not really a drivers car any more. It feels toned down for the masses - to broaden their target demographic. This is the reason i went with the C7 Z06. I hope OP bought the competition package. BMW has tried to address the issues mentioned above and i have heard the car is slightly better now - particularly the exhaust noise. I wish the C7 had a 1 single rear seat - it would be the most perfect DD ever
Old 07-25-2018, 01:58 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,188 Likes on 3,440 Posts

"(when you figure out the throttle)" I'm never happy with such stuff, but I'm pleased it works for you. All the best.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:10 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Avanti
"(when you figure out the throttle)" I'm never happy with such stuff, but I'm pleased it works for you. All the best.
in regards to the turbos there is a learning curve.... you can’t just stomp on it like with a supercharged car...
Old 07-25-2018, 02:12 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by shiv.nandak
I am glad the OP likes the F30 M3. But i would like to post a different experience. I actually went from a F82 M4 to a C7 z06. The main reason was that i felt BMW has gone too soft. On paper the F80/F82 has amazing specs. Handling and power band are great. The problem is that the exhaust sounds terrible, steering feel is lacking and it is not really a drivers car any more. It feels toned down for the masses - to broaden their target demographic. This is the reason i went with the C7 Z06. I hope OP bought the competition package. BMW has tried to address the issues mentioned above and i have heard the car is slightly better now - particularly the exhaust noise. I wish the C7 had a 1 single rear seat - it would be the most perfect DD ever

i test drove both the competition package and non comp pac. I went with the base because as s daily driver the comp pac was just wayyy to harsh for the roads of Brooklyn and nyc.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:25 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,919 Likes on 4,805 Posts

Good choice and glad you found something that meets your needs and your family situation. Miss you on the C7 forum. Take care and enjoy your new ride.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:03 PM
m3incorp
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Brooklyn beautiful new ride. There is another thread pitting the GS and any C7 against the M3 and a lot of crazy comments ragging the M3/M4 along with some giving it its justified positive views. I'm sure many will find their way over to this thread to tell you how they feel. I'm throwing in a good word on your new purchase before they arrive

Get notified of new replies

To Ever since trading in the C7.....

Old 07-25-2018, 06:08 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,426 Likes on 774 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Glad you found a car to suit your needs. I've driven a variety of BMW's (M3 vert, M5 sedan, M6 vert, 650, 645, 540, i8, X5) all good cars but just not me. I purchased a 2017 Charger Hellcat last Dec and absolutely enjoy every minute behind the wheel. I, too, needed a bigger car but unlike you I kept my C7 Z06 and my C6 vert.

While I don't road course track it, I have driven on some challenging streets and have no complaints about it's handling. Yes she is a bit heavy but doesn't feel heavy driving it. The pull from a dead stop is awesome. This is a car I will keep and drive for a while.

Last edited by Tally Ho; 07-25-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:23 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Tally Ho

I, too, needed a bigger car but unlike you I kept my C7 Z06 and my C6 vert. While I don't road course track it, I have driven on some challenging streets and have no complaints about it's handling. Yes she is a bit heavy but doesn't feel heavy driving it. The pull from a dead stop is awesome. This is a car I will keep and drive for a while.
I like the matching cars unless i'm color blind... Very Fiddy-cent like (except yours are prob not rentals for show).
Originally Posted by m3incorp
Brooklyn beautiful new ride. There is another thread pitting the GS and any C7 against the M3 and a lot of crazy comments ragging the M3/M4 along with some giving it its justified positive views. I'm sure many will find their way over to this thread to tell you how they feel.
Originally Posted by Parcival
there are going to be more Bimmer fanboys on here than on Bimmerforums.
Being objective i see (see bold). I actually beat you to it with my prediction of lurking BimmerBros

Last edited by Parcival; 07-25-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:31 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dvilin
Good choice and glad you found something that meets your needs and your family situation. Miss you on the C7 forum. Take care and enjoy your new ride.

thanks man... I’m always around. How’s the Z treating you?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ever since trading in the C7.....