GM 6.2 in the Silverado - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

GM 6.2 in the Silverado

Old 11-09-2018, 11:56 PM
Anything u like
CF Member

Originally Posted by Olsarge View Post
You are absolutely right. I've owned something like 26 vehicles in my life. I've never owned a Ford. I owned a 1966 Plymouth Satilite (in 1969) and a 2005 Dodge 1500. By far the worse two vehicles I've ever owned. I've owned 17 GM products. 14 of those were Chevys. I bought a Vette because it's a Chevy. If it was a Dodge I wouldn't have even thought about it. I'm a Chevy guy. I belong to three different Chevy Clubs. I'm a little surprised to be on a Corvette site and see so many people who are not Chevy people. To each his own. I'm a Chevy guy and proud of it. Everybody that knows me knows I'm a Chevy guy.
I used to be a Chevy truck guy also until my last GMC Sierra 1500. Iíve owned 6 different GM pickup trucks, 3 Escalades and 8 corvettes. My last GM truck gave me nothing but problems so I went to Ram. Without bias, IMO, Ram is the truck to own. Love mine, and the new ones are like true luxury vehicles. I havenít sprung for a new one yet but have driven 3 different 2019s and theyíre awesome. I do understand that some guys like their GM vehicles. I used to be one.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:39 AM
rgregory
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal View Post
Well extreme oil usage and lifter issues aside, I can't stand the poor throttle response, constant "gear hunting" and crappy exhaust note of V4 mode. I had to get rid of it right away. Especially after doing Flowmaster exhaust.

Shakey
I drive mine until the DIC says 20% oil life left, even with the high mileage it is down about 1 quart after well over 5000 miles so I donít think it is too bad. I use Mobil 1 5-30 since it is cheap at Walmart. Also I changed the transmission programing to not shift into 6th unless it is 55 mph that has helped the constant shifting from 5-6 6-5 when going up even slight inclines. I agree with you from the factory they could have done it much better.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:52 PM
Olsarge
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by rgregory View Post

I drive mine until the DIC says 20% oil life left, even with the high mileage it is down about 1 quart after well over 5000 miles so I donít think it is too bad. I use Mobil 1 5-30 since it is cheap at Walmart.
I'm not sure whether you have the 5.3 or 6.2 but mt 2018 5.3 says to use 0 W 20. You're right about Walmart they have the best price on Mobil 1.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:20 AM
cerino2000
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Anything u like View Post

I used to be a Chevy truck guy also until my last GMC Sierra 1500. I’ve owned 6 different GM pickup trucks, 3 Escalades and 8 corvettes. My last GM truck gave me nothing but problems so I went to Ram. Without bias, IMO, Ram is the truck to own. Love mine, and the new ones are like true luxury vehicles. I haven’t sprung for a new one yet but have driven 3 different 2019s and they’re awesome. I do understand that some guys like their GM vehicles. I used to be one.
i was born and raised GM as well. Have had a bunch of silverados (probably at least 8)...until I drove a Ram. The Silverados are like driving around a bath tub or something. I can only speak of the 2009’s and up Rams though. In addition, I almost always trade when the warranty expires with the exception of my last one which I drove until it hit 60k miles. I was going to trade it at 36k but there was no better truck on the market so I just kept it. Traded it for my current Ram 2500. Before I buy a new truck I shop them all just to see which one I like the best. Last time around the Silverado just felt dated. The Ford was the biggest pile of **** of all (and highly overpriced). How in the world that truck out sells the rest by so far I guess I will never know. I do really dig my 2500 but man does it like gas!

The next gen Silverados do look promising though so I will give them a shot again when it’s time to trade. The 2019 Rams are flat out awesome other than them putting the gear selector too close to the right knee. Ride and amenities were fantastic. though.

Last edited by cerino2000; 11-11-2018 at 01:21 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:50 AM
rgregory
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Olsarge View Post
I'm not sure whether you have the 5.3 or 6.2 but mt 2018 5.3 says to use 0 W 20. You're right about Walmart they have the best price on Mobil 1.
mine is the 5.3, Tahoeís those years had no engine options. 0-20 is just manufacturers trying to eack out mpg. I donít think I would use that thin of an oil. If my Tahoe starts using oil at a higher rate I will start running 10-40 in it.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:57 PM
NW-99SS
CF Senior Member

Current (and previous) Denali 6.2 owner here. Really enjoy my 2017, but I don't rack up a lot of miles. I do put it to work though, towing our 30' camper, 28' enclosed car hauler with my GS in it, and hauling quads, etc. I'm very impressed with the fuel mileage from both my previous 2014 Denali and current 2017 (went from A6 - A8). I am aware of the A8 issues some owners experience, so I am watching for any symptoms very closely.

I do prefer the styling of the 16-18 GMCs over the new ones, but that is purely subjective.

Will also agree that the RAM interiors are generally nicer, but the truck's - based on percentages, are far more problem prone, and I have seen it with a few close friends. Both of my 6.2s have been without issue (knock on wood).

Towing MPG with my camper ~9500lbs on a 70 mile one-way trip is right around 11.82 mpg which is better than expected for a gas 6.2 in tow/haul mode. Was slightly better towing the enclosed, around 12.2 - 12.5. Empty, my truck averages 20.8mpg to and from town, errands, etc. On the highway, it gets a best average over 60 miles of 24mpg. Again, very pleased with my Denali 6.2, A8, 4x4

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM 6.2 in the Silverado

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: