GM 6.2 in the Silverado - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

GM 6.2 in the Silverado

Old 07-29-2018, 09:08 AM
  #1  
Snowwolfe
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Snowwolfe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2001
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 3,314
Thanked 360 Times in 209 Posts
Default GM 6.2 in the Silverado

A new 2019 Silverado is on my short list for a new truck after they start hitting the dealer lots. If I buy one it will have the 6.2.
How is this motor doing in GM's truck line?
Snowwolfe is offline  
Old 07-29-2018, 08:54 PM
  #2  
redvette77
CF Senior Member
 
redvette77's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2010
Location: Prestonsburg Kentucky
Posts: 1,683
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

I know a few owners who have them and they have all given great reports. Plenty of power and decent gas mileage paired with great reliability. I had intentions of going for the 6.2 when I bought my 2017 but you can only get it in LTZ, High County, or High Desert trim and I wanted cloth seats. So I settled for the 5.3. As good as my 5.3 has been, I imagine the 6.2 is quite the motor.
redvette77 is online now  
Old 07-30-2018, 05:01 PM
  #3  
FAUEE
CF Senior Member
 
FAUEE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: Hickory NC
Posts: 4,168
Thanked 277 Times in 248 Posts
Default

A friend recently bought one. Lots of power, not great fuel economy, but not bad either. It's got direct injection so that creates the typical issues from all direct injected engines. GM really needs to give it dual injection si you don't have to walnut blast the intake.

GM seems to be a generation behind in full size trucks compared to Ford and Ram. Well, two generations now since they hardly improved this new gen, just tried to respond to being hopelessly outclassed by Ford. Ram seems to be the truck to beat now if you're spending big money, if not it's hard to beat Titan.

Last edited by FAUEE; 07-30-2018 at 05:03 PM.
FAUEE is offline  
Old 07-30-2018, 10:12 PM
  #4  
TJB-VETTE
CF Senior Member
 
TJB-VETTE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: Paducah KY
Posts: 1,562
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
Default

I had the 6.2 in my 2014 Sierra Denali 1500. It was a very nice truck with plenty of power. Might consider buying a new one this fall when the 2019 is released.
TJB-VETTE is offline  
Old 07-31-2018, 11:55 AM
  #5  
juiceman03070
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
juiceman03070's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: Hamburger Hill...MAY 69
Posts: 22,338
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08
Default power to spare

You will be very impressed with the power and pulling torque , but will not smile at the gas pump
juiceman03070 is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 03:43 PM
  #6  
jonn127
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2009
Posts: 439
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Just bought a Sierra 1500 SLT with the 6.2. I haven't hauled anything but so far avg about 21mpg. Compared to 15-16 on my Ram Rebel.
jonn127 is offline  
Old 08-02-2018, 12:12 PM
  #7  
MVR 155
CF Senior Member
 
MVR 155's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2000
Location: Bartlett, IL
Posts: 4,751
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12
Default

I've got a 2015 Yukon Denali (later model with the 8 speed, early production 2015 models got the 6 speed). The 6.2L engine has very good power, plenty of low end grunt and is surprisingly fast. I purchased it new and other than some small warranty issues (satellite antenna went out, squeaky brake booster and a noisy strut all which were promptly fixed), it's been very reliable and a pleasure to own. The fuel economy is excellent for what it is...... I see 15-16 with short trips around town and I have done a number of road trips, just got back from a short 400 mile trip on Tuesday and averaged over 20mpg's. Drove from Chicago to Copper mountain, Colorado in early April with my Thule roof box mounted up top and the truck loaded with my family and gear, did 80-90mph pretty much the whole way and still got just around 19mpg's. For reference....... my previous truck was a 2008 Hummer H2 with the 6.2L/6 speed combo, it got around 11mpg's around town and if you were lucky you could maybe see 14-15mpg's on the highway.
MVR 155 is offline  
Old 10-09-2018, 08:39 PM
  #8  
Snowwolfe
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Snowwolfe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2001
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 3,314
Thanked 360 Times in 209 Posts
Default

Visited the dealer today to check out a 2019 Silverado. All I can say is yuck. The interior looked very cheap. Several reviewers stated the Ford F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost is quicker. Quickly removed this from my list of trucks I am considering.
Snowwolfe is offline  
Old 10-10-2018, 12:20 PM
  #9  
Shakeydeal
CF Senior Member
 
Shakeydeal's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2015
Posts: 2,358
Thanked 301 Times in 252 Posts
Default

They really messed up the looks of the Silverado. The 2019s don't have the aggressive lines of the earlier models. GM softened them up a little too much to my taste. 2016/2017 look much better.

Shakey
Shakeydeal is offline  
Old 10-10-2018, 01:37 PM
  #10  
isellpower
CF Senior Member
 
isellpower's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2004
Location: Camas WA
Posts: 287
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FAUEE View Post
A friend recently bought one. Lots of power, not great fuel economy, but not bad either. It's got direct injection so that creates the typical issues from all direct injected engines. GM really needs to give it dual injection si you don't have to walnut blast the intake.

GM seems to be a generation behind in full size trucks compared to Ford and Ram. Well, two generations now since they hardly improved this new gen, just tried to respond to being hopelessly outclassed by Ford. Ram seems to be the truck to beat now if you're spending big money, if not it's hard to beat Titan.
LMAO, you off your meds? The Denali has more tech in its fookin tailgate than the Dodge has in it's entire chassis. RAM is garbage across all range of trucks and usually far from "big money." My 17 Denali 1/2 ton has all the bs of a luxury car and magnetic ride control. Every time I see a RAM the first thing that comes to mind is that they drive that POS because the have A. sub-par credit, or B. They could only scrape up the $500 RAM requires for their lease. The over-sized screen in the 19 RAM doesn't pull it up to the level of the Denali or Platinum.
isellpower is offline  
Old 10-10-2018, 03:27 PM
  #11  
Dusty Rhodes
CF Senior Member
 
Dusty Rhodes's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2006
Location: Rowlett TX
Posts: 2,683
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

A friend I work with has a 2018 4x4 Denali Pickup. Very nice looking truck and he loves it. If I were going to buy that type of vehicle that is prolly what I would buy, and this is a good time of year to buy a vehicle. Dealers want the old inventory gone before December 31.
Dusty Rhodes is offline  
Old 10-11-2018, 11:09 AM
  #12  
Callaway Chris
Platinum Supporting Vendor
 
Callaway Chris's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2001
Location: Callaway Cars - Old Lyme, Connecticut
Posts: 5,822
Thanked 502 Times in 305 Posts
Default

The 6.2L is a great engine in the 1500-series GM trucks and the basis for our SC560 Packages.
Callaway Chris is offline  
Old 10-12-2018, 02:34 PM
  #13  
FAUEE
CF Senior Member
 
FAUEE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: Hickory NC
Posts: 4,168
Thanked 277 Times in 248 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by isellpower View Post
LMAO, you off your meds? The Denali has more tech in its fookin tailgate than the Dodge has in it's entire chassis. RAM is garbage across all range of trucks and usually far from "big money." My 17 Denali 1/2 ton has all the bs of a luxury car and magnetic ride control. Every time I see a RAM the first thing that comes to mind is that they drive that POS because the have A. sub-par credit, or B. They could only scrape up the $500 RAM requires for their lease. The over-sized screen in the 19 RAM doesn't pull it up to the level of the Denali or Platinum.
You must not have been in one. They are SUPER high quality inside. They ride great, they have features GM cant match, all the materials are great, look good, pretty tough to beat.

Obviously you're welcome to your opinion but a silly tailgate doesnt impress me. GM has really fallen behind in their trucks. I dont think they even offer a dual pane moonroof or radar cruise control.
FAUEE is offline  
Old 10-26-2018, 07:35 PM
  #14  
GTOguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
GTOguy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2015
Location: Fresno California
Posts: 5,965
Thanked 826 Times in 688 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by juiceman03070 View Post
You will be very impressed with the power and pulling torque , but will not smile at the gas pump
This has been our experience with this engine in a 3/4 ton GMC. Tons of usable power, sucks fuel like mad. It's a fleet vehicle, and I am delighted I don't have to pay the fuel bill for it.
GTOguy is online now  
Old 11-08-2018, 08:44 AM
  #15  
Olsarge
CF Senior Member
 
Olsarge's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2017
Location: A galaxy far far away.
Posts: 222
Thanked 31 Times in 22 Posts
Default

I picked up my'18 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 Monday. I was going for the 6.2 until I discovered the 5.3 has a 9,300 lb. towing capacity which far exceeds my needs on 87 octane and better mileage than the 6.2. I had an '02 Silverado Quadrasteer 5.3 until my wife totaled it. This GMC is so far ahead of the Ram it's not even close - leather everything, awesome infotainment system, cylinder deactivation, 8-speed automatic, remote start with my phone app from anywhere in the world. I got the '18 because the incentives and rebates right now made it more than $12,000 less out the door than the same '19. I had a Dodge several years ago. It squeaked the day I bought it and the day I sold it. The guy I sold it to said he knew it sqeaked because all Dodge trucks squeak. My son-in-law had 8 Rams while I had my Silverado.

​​​​​​
Olsarge is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 12:20 PM
  #16  
FaSSt67
CF Senior Member
 
FaSSt67's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2007
Location: Broken Arrow OK
Posts: 214
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Olsarge View Post
I picked up my'18 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 Monday. I was going for the 6.2 until I discovered the 5.3 has a 9,300 lb. towing capacity which far exceeds my needs on 87 octane and better mileage than the 6.2. I had an '02 Silverado Quadrasteer 5.3 until my wife totaled it. This GMC is so far ahead of the Ram it's not even close - leather everything, awesome infotainment system, cylinder deactivation, 8-speed automatic, remote start with my phone app from anywhere in the world. I got the '18 because the incentives and rebates right now made it more than $12,000 less out the door than the same '19. I had a Dodge several years ago. It squeaked the day I bought it and the day I sold it. The guy I sold it to said he knew it sqeaked because all Dodge trucks squeak. My son-in-law had 8 Rams while I had my Silverado.
​​​​
Yea the new Ram has all of that plus a nicer interior. Your GM bias is showing thru.


FaSSt67 is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 01:17 PM
  #17  
Shakeydeal
CF Senior Member
 
Shakeydeal's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2015
Posts: 2,358
Thanked 301 Times in 252 Posts
Default



Read up on that AFM (cylinder deactivation). You'll be wanting to get rid of that ASAP. I bought a Range AFM disabler the first week after buying my new (to me) 2016 Silverado.

Here she is
Shakeydeal is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 03:02 PM
  #18  
rgregory
CF Senior Member
 
rgregory's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 1999
Location: Arlington TX
Posts: 7,261
Thanked 56 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal View Post

Read up on that AFM (cylinder deactivation). You'll be wanting to get rid of that ASAP. I bought a Range AFM disabler the first week after buying my new (to me) 2016 Silverado.

Here she is
Well my 2010 Tahoe is at 194k miles and I even programmed it to run as a 4cyl more often and no engine issues.

Last edited by rgregory; 11-08-2018 at 03:02 PM.
rgregory is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 03:19 PM
  #19  
Shakeydeal
CF Senior Member
 
Shakeydeal's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2015
Posts: 2,358
Thanked 301 Times in 252 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rgregory View Post


Well my 2010 Tahoe is at 194k miles and I even programmed it to run as a 4cyl more often and no engine issues.
Well extreme oil usage and lifter issues aside, I can't stand the poor throttle response, constant "gear hunting" and crappy exhaust note of V4 mode. I had to get rid of it right away. Especially after doing Flowmaster exhaust.

Shakey
Shakeydeal is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 11:41 PM
  #20  
Olsarge
CF Senior Member
 
Olsarge's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2017
Location: A galaxy far far away.
Posts: 222
Thanked 31 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FaSSt67 View Post
Yea the new Ram has all of that plus a nicer interior. Your GM bias is showing thru.
You are absolutely right. I've owned something like 26 vehicles in my life. I've never owned a Ford. I owned a 1966 Plymouth Satilite (in 1969) and a 2005 Dodge 1500. By far the worse two vehicles I've ever owned. I've owned 20 GM products. 16 of those were Chevys. I bought a Vette because it's a Chevy. If it was a Dodge I wouldn't have even thought about it. I'm a Chevy guy. I belong to three different Chevy Clubs. I'm a little surprised to be on a Corvette site and see so many people who are not Chevy people. To each his own. I'm a Chevy guy and proud of it. Everybody that knows me knows I'm a Chevy guy.

Last edited by Olsarge; 11-10-2018 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Correct numbers
Olsarge is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM 6.2 in the Silverado


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: