Notices
Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Any nice vans out there?

Old 08-13-2018, 02:39 AM
DanMan35
CF Senior Member

Default Any nice vans out there?

The wife and I are considering a larger car since our family continues to grow. I prefer SUVs however the wife likes vans more. As far as I know there are really only 3 van models to choose from:

Honda Odyssey
Toyota Sienna
Chrysler Pacifica

Does anyone have one of the vans listed above, no older than a 2017 model? What are your thoughts?
Old 08-13-2018, 06:21 AM
kitesurfer
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by DanMan35 View Post
The wife and I are considering a larger car since our family continues to grow. I prefer SUVs however the wife likes vans more. As far as I know there are really only 3 van models to choose from:

Honda Odyssey
Toyota Sienna
Chrysler Pacifica

Does anyone have one of the vans listed above, no older than a 2017 model? What are your thoughts?
big difference between a van and a mini van. I love my van. it's versatile.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:05 PM
DanMan35
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
big difference between a van and a mini van. I love my van. it's versatile.

I guess I'm referring to a mini van then
Old 08-13-2018, 04:30 PM
racerns
CF Senior Member

We currently have a 2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus as my wife's daily driver. We have had it for a little over a year and half and put over 40K miles on it. No mechanical or reliability problems. It has been in for a few recalls though. The only problem has been a galvanic corrosion issue on the hood which is a common problem on the Pacificas and 200s that is fixed under warranty. We like the features and design and find it comfortable to drive. We had a 2016 Odyssey EX-L for about 5 months before this van, but it was rear ended and totaled on Christmas eve. We defiantly like the Pacifica better than that generation Odyssey, but the new generation was not out yet when we were purchasing the Pacifica. Especially if you have kids, I find the mini van more versatile unless you have the need to tow over 4000 lbs or really need AWD.

Last edited by racerns; 08-13-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:30 PM
DanMan35
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by racerns View Post
We currently have a 2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus as my wife's daily driver. We have had it for a little over a year and half and put over 40K miles on it. No mechanical or reliability problems. It has been in for a few recalls though. The only problem has been a galvanic corrosion issue on the hood which is a common problem on the Pacificas and 200s that is fixed under warranty. We like the features and design and find it comfortable to drive. We had a 2016 Odyssey EX-L for about 5 months before this van, but it was rear ended and totaled on Christmas eve. We defiantly like the Pacifica better than that generation Odyssey, but the new generation was not out yet when we were purchasing the Pacifica. Especially if you have kids, I find the mini van more versatile unless you have the need to tow over 4000 lbs or really need AWD.
Good point, from a practicality standpoint, with kids, I think the minivan is a better option than an SUV. The minivans tend to get considerably better gas mileage and maybe a bit more room? But the SUVs I like the look of more.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:26 AM
MVR 155
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

A good friend purchased a new Pacifica earlier this year, it's absolutely loaded and has AWD. They have had zero issues and while I'm definitely not a big Mopar fan, it's a super nice vehicle. Will also go on to add that it's quite nice looking for a minivan. Also have a distant family member who purchased one last year who loves theirs and has had zero issues. I'm not a minivan person and likely won't ever be but if I was, I would probably look really hard at the Pacifica.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:04 AM
Romulus
CF Senior Member

Last year We picked up a 2017 Pacifica with 30k miles for $25k. I could not find a five-year-old Odyssey for that amount. We've had it one year and zero issues. I would buy this van again in a heartbeat over the Odyssey and Sienna.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:44 PM
Donuts
CF Senior Member

We have a ‘16 Sienna and it’s been trouble free but Toyota seems to be ok with falling behind and not evolving tech-wise. Honda on the other hand has the overall best rig but seems like most folk are buying the Pacifica and we are as well. Even with a few mopar headaches it seems the Pacifica is the best value.

If if you don’t need sliding doors I would check out the Ford Flex
Old 08-21-2018, 12:26 PM
RAGS747
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by MVR 155 View Post
A good friend purchased a new Pacifica earlier this year, it's absolutely loaded and has AWD. They have had zero issues and while I'm definitely not a big Mopar fan, it's a super nice vehicle. Will also go on to add that it's quite nice looking for a minivan. Also have a distant family member who purchased one last year who loves theirs and has had zero issues. I'm not a minivan person and likely won't ever be but if I was, I would probably look really hard at the Pacifica.
Pacifica does not come with AWD...
Old 08-23-2018, 08:43 PM
cuisinartvette
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,070 Times in 983 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

The big 3 no longer make thier full sized vans?
Old 08-23-2018, 09:08 PM
sabastian458
CF Senior Member

I am not a van person, but there is 1 van that stands out above the rest. Working at a dealership he afforded me the ability to be in hundreds of different vehicles and see the common issues. The Honda odessy is by far the best van out there currently. Iced driven the Chrysler van, which is the caravan, grand caravan, vw Routanc Chrysler town and country, all the same van basically. They are cheap vehicles. Even the high end models, the options may be nicer but still the same platform.

I drove a grand grand caravan on vacation and it was miserable, thought the transmission was going to fall out of it. The next year I took an odessy and it was like driving a comfortable sedan, lots of comfort options, big v6 engine and overall a wonderful van. If I were to buy one, it would be the Honda.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:06 PM
cuisinartvette
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,070 Times in 983 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

x2 Id lean towards the Honda also long as it doesnt have that horrible CVT trans.

The caravans have been pos since day 1, remember when they first came out. Woodgrain and that puky 4 cyl that whined like no tomorrow.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:36 PM
Romulus
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by sabastian458 View Post
I am not a van person, but there is 1 van that stands out above the rest. Working at a dealership he afforded me the ability to be in hundreds of different vehicles and see the common issues. The Honda odessy is by far the best van out there currently. Iced driven the Chrysler van, which is the caravan, grand caravan, vw Routanc Chrysler town and country, all the same van basically. They are cheap vehicles. Even the high end models, the options may be nicer but still the same platform.

I drove a grand grand caravan on vacation and it was miserable, thought the transmission was going to fall out of it. The next year I took an odessy and it was like driving a comfortable sedan, lots of comfort options, big v6 engine and overall a wonderful van. If I were to buy one, it would be the Honda.
You're comparing a vehicle at the very end of it's LONG life cycle against one that just debuted a new model this year....
Old 08-26-2018, 05:25 PM
MPM IV
CF Senior Member

We bought a new Sienna SE last year and the wife is very happy with it. With three kids and two dogs (one large) it seemed like the right move. She had a 4runner, and I also wanted a bigger SUV. Now that we have it, I have to admit that it works very well for us.
We also drove the Odyssey, but preferred the SE. We didn't really consider the Chrysler.
Test drive a couple and see what you think.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:12 AM
GS_Guy
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by sabastian458 View Post

But no mention of the Pacifica? Which is so far ahead of the caravan and has so many awards.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any nice vans out there?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: