Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

05' CTS-V rear suspension rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 09:08 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

When I was doing some reading I found that many people stated that adding the Hard poly bushings to the craddle and diff can cause increased road and gear noise.

So to remedy that situation I picked up some Hushmat...this is a Cadillac after all.

I laid the Hushmat under the rear seats and in the truck, I actually put it 2 layers thick right over the differential.

Hopefully the Hushmat helps to keep any extra noise at bay.

Last edited by DMITTZ; 08-28-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:33 PM
gs568
Team Owner

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DMITTZ
That is very neat, I have heard very good things about the KW coilovers. Unfortunatley, they weren't in my budget at this point but maybe some day. I have have been using Ksport coilovers on the front of the V for a couple years and have no complaints, for street use.
I got them for FREE. Sounds like you’re using good components.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:53 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gs568

I got them for FREE. Sounds like you’re using good components.
That sounds like a pretty awsome deal on the shocks in exchange for being part of the development process, sweet!

Ya I'm trying to do the best job I can and use good parts, within the limits of my budget, and keeping in mind its a daily driver not a show car. Hopefully if I do a good job this car will give me many, many more miles.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:08 AM
gs568
Team Owner

Silver one in front. Keep up the good work.

Last edited by gs568; 08-30-2018 at 02:08 AM.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:48 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Silver one in front. Keep up the good work.

Looks great! what wheels are you running?
Old 08-30-2018, 11:47 AM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

This is a great build thread. I'm surprised you didn't go with stainless braided brake lines with all the work to tighten up the feel of the car (driveline and suspension).
Old 08-30-2018, 12:23 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by White Out
This is a great build thread. I'm surprised you didn't go with stainless braided brake lines with all the work to tighten up the feel of the car (driveline and suspension).
Thanks, glad your enjoying it.

Yes, I did consider stainless lines and I may swap them in sometime in the future. Since this is my D.D the decision to do stock replacement lines was somewhat dictated by what was in stock at the local auto parts place. I'm using my corvette as a D.D right now and borrowing my wife's car when it rains so I am trying to get the caddy done on a pretty tight timeline. I thought I had all the parts ahead of time but little things like brake lines I guess I didn't think about until I started working on it.

Last edited by DMITTZ; 08-30-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:14 PM
gs568
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DMITTZ
Looks great! what wheels are you running?
Was running. CCW’s if I remember correctly. Sold the car years ago.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:11 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Was running. CCW’s if I remember correctly. Sold the car years ago.
Cool, they looked very nice on it.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:26 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Hi everyone,

I've done a little more work since last time, unfortunatley most of my time has been spent messing around with small stuff so it doesn't feel like a lot has got done.

First thing I delt with was reattaching the parking brake cable, installed a new equilizer and driver's side cable connector without issue. Unfortunatley the new passenger's side connector I got from GM was defective as it was missing the little retaining tabs that stop the cable from slipping out. I have another one on the way but that is 14-21days away, so for now I just 'crimped' my existing one around the E-brake cable, seems to work ok but I don't trust it long term. I'll swap that connector out when the new one arrives.

From there I had to deal with some leaks in the brake system, the driver's side caliper was leaking badly where the hose connected, more new copper washers did nothing so I inspected the caliper and found the mating surface was badly pitted. I used a file to get it smooth again and now it seals just fine. I also had a leaking flare on the craddle which I had to deburr the inside of the flare to get a good seal.

I haven't bleed the brakes yet but at least now their not leaking fluid.

I also reinstalled the exhaust, I added some header wrap in the vacinity of the diff to help keep the exhaust heat from causing it to overheat.

The exhaust is dual 3in with corsa mufflers, nothing fancy but it sounds nice.

More updates to come....

Last edited by DMITTZ; 08-31-2018 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:02 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Since I have only briefly mentiontioned it, here's What power's my V:

An LS3 with a 'LS hot cam' now resides under the hood (desite what the badge says) The swap was made a couple years ago. Its nothing to crazy but it seems to have enough power to keep up with traffic

I am really thinking about headers for this car as I think the stock exhaust manifolds are holding it back quite a bit, but with it being just a D.D I'm not sure if I really need anymore power...and headers aren't exactly cheap.

More updates to come...

Last edited by DMITTZ; 08-31-2018 at 12:04 AM.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:02 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

So I recuired a helper and got the brakes all bleed. With 8 bleed screws it took some time.

I used this brake fluid.

I noticed some play in both front wheel bearings. So I got 2 stock replacement bearings.

Wheel bearing replacement completed.

It kind of bugs me that GM used heavy cast Iron spindles on a 'performance sedan', I am thinking of replacing the spindles with Aluminum STS spindles to save unsprung weight but need to do a bit more research on it first. Anyway that will be a project for another day...

While I had the front up on jackstands I did an oil change.

I also worked on setting the rear ride height, my first attempt the back was way to high and the second time it was too low, so I need to spend some more time messing around until I get the ride height correct. Then its off to the alignment shop and back to driving it.

I'll post up some pictures after I get the ride height set.

Last edited by DMITTZ; 09-01-2018 at 01:07 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:56 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Hi everyone,

So changing the front wheel bearings got rid of 75% of the play in the front end.

However I noticed there was still a small amount on the driver's side. When I investigated I found that the upper ball joint on that side has some play in it. I had already done all the ball joints in the front 50K ago but I guess the mevotech ball joints were not the best quality?

Anyway I am going to replace that ball joint before this car hits the road again.

Picked this up from the local auto parts store, it was actually in stock there

The Moog ball joints I used on my corvette seemed like very nice quality. This one looks nice also hopefully it provides lots of trouble free service.

More updates to come...

Last edited by DMITTZ; 09-02-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:02 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Hi Everyone,

So I pulled the UCA and coilover out on the one side to replace the ball joint....

I had replaced all the front ball joints 50K ago, but this one was completely worn out for some reason. I Won't be buying Mevotech brand again...

The other ball joints all seem ok for now So I'm going to leave them and hope for the best.

After the old ball joint was pressed out I gave the the strut and UCA assemablly a quick clean up. This is just a driver so I didn't spend to much time as it will just get dirty again this winter.

Next I pressed in the New Moog ball joint.

The Moog ball joint seems like a nice quality piece, hopefully it gives many miles of service.

Front suspension all done! now its solid with no play in it.

I also spent a bit of time setting the rear ride height. I may play with it a bit more but for now I think I like it.

The mechanical portion of the car is all done now, it just needs a good wash and an alignment. Picture as it sits now...

Once I get it washed and Aligned I'll post up a few more pictures and let you all know how it drives.

DMITTZ....

Last edited by DMITTZ; 09-05-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:05 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

I hope the bracket on the diff works for you. I have a 06 V and just about everything has failed on it. My car is fairly low mileage but from the engine to the diff has been replaced. It has a aluminum 8.8 in it now. Good luck with yours
Old 09-05-2018, 02:13 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
I hope the bracket on the diff works for you. I have a 06 V and just about everything has failed on it. My car is fairly low mileage but from the engine to the diff has been replaced. It has a aluminum 8.8 in it now. Good luck with yours
Thanks, ya I am hoping it works out. The 8.8 is a great option. I never race this car as its a daily driver so hoping the brace and the one axle will be suffcient.

I hear you on the component failures!

To be fair mine is fairly high milage but to date, engine and trans have been replaced. Front suspension rebuilt, rear suspension rebuilt, so pretty much every part of the car that moves except the driveshaft has had to be replaced Hope the driveshaft's not next...

I know this was GM's first venture into performance sedans, but it sure does take a lot of work to keep these things on the road. It gives me lots of smile though. Love to see a picture of your 06' if you care to share one?
Old 09-06-2018, 01:56 PM
Zip Corvettes

Mine had 46K on it when all the problems started. To be fair though I bought it with a modified motor and it was their work that caused the initial failure. After that it all seemed down hill with the driveline. I have not even done a burn out in my car, everything has broken under just normal driving so even though it is all fixed, I'm scared it will break.

Get notified of new replies

To 05' CTS-V rear suspension rebuild.

Old 09-06-2018, 01:58 PM
Zip Corvettes

This was the picture from the ad I bought the car from.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:01 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Hi Guys,

Just realized I never really gave a last post to wrap this thread up.

I ran into a bit of an issue when I went to get an alignment, as they couldn't get the driver's side in spec. As it turned out NAPA had sold me a mis-boxed upper control arm. It physically bolted up and seemed like it fit but was 3/4in longer than the original so it was throwing the alignment off. Anyway now that is all figured out the car is up and running.

A couple pictures:

The rear of the car is purposly set a little high because I am often hauling a full car of people (my family) and a trunk full of stuff that weighs it down a bit and I like the slightly raked look.

I've noticed the car seems to handle a bit better since the rebuild and the 'clunk' in the rear end when i shift is gone now. I tried doing one burn-out and the wheel hop also seems to be gone, just spins the tires smoothly now!

Also I was a little worried about increased road noise and vibration with the hard 95a poly bushings, but with the sound deadening the increase seems very minimal, just a very, very soft hum is all I notice if the stereo is off, windows are closed and the HVAC fan is turned off. If either is turned on or thw window is open then I don't hear it at all.

I would still like the car to have a little less body roll, so I've ordered the BIG Addco sway bars for it. The rear has already arrived, front is on back order suposedly until November (I can wait). I'll install them both when the front bar arrives.

Anyway guys that's about a wrap for now.

Last edited by DMITTZ; 09-26-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:45 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

This is a killer thread. Our '05, 165k mile V is in need of all of the above, so I appreciate the report.

How does your trans shift. Ours (with a Pissnuoff shifter) is the worst shifting transmissions I've ever owned.

Quick Reply: 05' CTS-V rear suspension rebuild.