Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Cadillac CT6-V Blackwing engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 07:04 AM
Spike5
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Cadillac CT6-V Blackwing engine

Not sure how new this information is, but was just reading about the new Cadillac CT6-V bi-turbo V8 engine and thought this might be a really nice offering in the C8. Very similar design to the Mercedes AMG 4.0 bi-turbo V8 in my C63S. Lightweight. Great torque. Hot-intake design with the turbos placed in the intake V area makes it super responsive.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mot...blackwing/amp/
Old 09-22-2018, 09:15 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

No reason for a hot-V motor in a mid-engine. The responsiveness issue is not a factor of the Hot-V config, as the charge is still sent forward, through intercooler(s), and then intake. Piping can be done same length on a proper design turbo car with turbos right off side exhaust manifolds. All aids in cooling in a mid engine design, as it is harder to get the air moving above the motor, just behind the firewall.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:17 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Other than the name of the engine, the author has just rehashed info that was released months ago.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:17 AM
VetterFlyer
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts

I like the rehash because there is a lot more to learn yet about this GM engine series. I learned that the overhead cam heads are being produced by Cosworth’s new plant in Ypsilanti Michigan and the engine will be assembled in the Bolling Green plant.
Also, the current State of the Art for turboed Certified engines is 187 HP per Liter.(MB 2.0L at 375 HP). If we use this as a maximum HP guide the 4.2L TT V8 can make 780 HP and Cadillac lists two engines at 500HP and 550HP. Additionally, GM lists a 5.5L TT V8 Hot V which should be able to make over 1000 HP. So where may they use it? In a truck? Or new ME Corvette? I want one.
Jim
Old 09-22-2018, 11:31 AM
Spike5
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

For the $100’s millions being invested in this engine, GM has to have bigger plans for it than Cadillac.

And, the beauty of a Hot-V design in a mid-engine car is packaging, great airflow to/over the turbochargers (although they have water jackets for cooling) and everything is in close proximity to the intercoolers.

So, I guess we’ll see where the engine ends up.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:31 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by VetterFlyer
I like the rehash because there is a lot more to learn yet about this GM engine series. I learned that the overhead cam heads are being produced by Cosworth’s new plant in Ypsilanti Michigan and the engine will be assembled in the Bolling Green plant.
Also, the current State of the Art for turboed Certified engines is 187 HP per Liter.(MB 2.0L at 375 HP). If we use this as a maximum HP guide the 4.2L TT V8 can make 780 HP and Cadillac lists two engines at 500HP and 550HP. Additionally, GM lists a 5.5L TT V8 Hot V which should be able to make over 1000 HP. So where may they use it? In a truck? Or new ME Corvette? I want one.
Jim

Hmm, assembled in Bowing Green! Be happy if they stuffed that 550 hp/627 ft-lbs of torque engine in my planned early C8 buy!

Last edited by JerryU; 09-22-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:59 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
No reason for a hot-V motor in a mid-engine. The responsiveness issue is not a factor of the Hot-V config, as the charge is still sent forward, through intercooler(s), and then intake. Piping can be done same length on a proper design turbo car with turbos right off side exhaust manifolds. All aids in cooling in a mid engine design, as it is harder to get the air moving above the motor, just behind the firewall.

A nightmare in the making. Only the Germans can be this stupid. Oh, wait a moment, this is going into a Cadillac.

Last edited by Shaka; 09-22-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:07 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by VetterFlyer
Jim
The mid-engine CAD drawings show a engine/transaxle cradle designed for a wide engine with the turbo's located on each side of the engine, not a HOT-V with the turbos located in the valley between the heads. In fact another CAD drawing actually shows a wide V8 with the turbo's located on each side of the engine on that engine/transaxle cradle.

It's possible that when the Cadillac HOT-V engine was designed and money approved for R&D and tooling, that GM was(is?) planning on a Cadillac version of the mid engine sports car, or maybe Cadillac is planning on a "hot rod" SUV to counter the "hot rod" SUV's from Porsche, M-B, BMW etc. I agree that having the engine designed only for a 4 door sedan doesn't make sense.

I believe that Cadillac is trying to distance itself from Chevrolet to enable itself to lose the "rebadged Chevrolet" image. Difficult to gain the "status" of M-B, etc if people continue to associate Cadillac with Chevrolet. Cadillac continuing to share engines with Chevrolet isn't going to improve Cadillac's image.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:14 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Shaka
A nightmare in the making. Only the Germans can be this stupid. Oh, wait a moment, this is going into a Cadillac.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cRU12EpsVI
The AMG GT is not a "mid-engine" sports car, but a front engine car. The only car that Cadillac has said at this time that will have the HOT-V V8 engine is the CTC6 which also is a front engine vehicle.

If the mid-engine Corvette is going to have a retractable hardtop version, then I'm guessing that space above the engine will be a premium(and the less heat the better) for a compartment to house the hardtop when retracted. I would think that that would be a strong case for an engine design that has the turbo's mounted down low on each side of the engine, and not sitting on top of the engine.

Last edited by JoesC5; 09-22-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:05 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The AMG GT is not a "mid-engine" sports car, but a front engine car. The only car that Cadillac has said at this time that will have the HOT-V V8 engine is the CTC6 which also is a front engine vehicle.

If the mid-engine Corvette is going to have a retractable hardtop version, then I'm guessing that space above the engine will be a premium(and the less heat the better) for a compartment to house the hardtop when retracted. I would think that that would be a strong case for an engine design that has the turbo's mounted down low on each side of the engine, and not sitting on top of the engine.
Who said it was? Why do you suppose Corvette put the intercoolers on top of the 'wide' V? The F488 places them in front of the wheels. What's a wide V?

Old 09-22-2018, 04:09 PM
smithers
Melting Slicks

Received 4,982 Likes on 1,816 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cRU12EpsVI
What's so bad about it? Just curious. Seems like a good way to mitigate some of the downsides of turbos, but I'm far from an expert.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:19 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Corvette has NEVER had a production turbo'd engine(which is what we are talking about, isn't it). The intercooler on the supercharged Corvettes is placed on top of the supercharger housing because the compressed air flows upward from the supercharger into the intercooler, makes a 180 and flows downward through the bricks into the heads. The hot exhaust gasses on a supercharged Corvette NEVER comes near the top of the engine, as it does on a HOT-V turbo engine like the AMG GT.

Now my Mercedes has a roots supercharger(The Corvette also has a roots supercharger), but it has an air to air intercooler, that is located in front of the engine coolant radiator, The hot exhaust gasses on my Mercedes NEVER come near the top of the engine.

You brought up the AMG GT with it's HOT-V engine as if it was pertinent to the mid engine Corvette application. I pointed out that the AMG GT HOT-V engine application is nothing like what will be found in the mid-engine Corvette, especially since it appears the mid-engine Corvette will have a retractable hardtop, that has to be stored in a compartment above the engine.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:20 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

The leaked CADs clearly show the turbo engine config is not a hot v setup. There will be no disadvantage to this.

Last edited by NY09C6; 09-22-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:02 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

GM has had nothing but success with DOHC V9s. Remember the Northstar? This Northstar 2 now has the added benefit of direct injection and turbochargers! The Caddy dealer network is probably hiring mechanics like crazy right now...

Also, this engine was supposed to be for a V sport model. They then upgraded it to v level, despite making 50hp more than the base engine. The only reason to do that is of 550hp is the limit for this engine to be moderately reliable.

It's a moot point anyways, GM sells virtually no sedans anymore. They offer a lot, but nobody buys. This will likely be in the mid engine caddy that isnt a C8, and I would expect to see it in a next gen Escalade, or whatever 3 row crossover companion to the Escalade is introduced.

Get notified of new replies

To Cadillac CT6-V Blackwing engine