Notices
Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

3.8 Ford v6 worth anything?

Old 10-06-2018, 04:34 PM
derekderek
CF Senior Member

Default 3.8 Ford v6 worth anything?

Are these motors used in kit cars or anything the least bit interesting? Or they 91 Taurus engines only? This car fell in my lap. Next door neighbor legit little old lady. Is there any place where this motor and or trans are useful besides antique Tauruses? I know, this is not the area for this. But there's a lot of people on this forum to do a lot of stuff besides fixing Corvettes. Myself included.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:39 PM
Cygnus
CF Senior Member

The ones made in the late 90's suffered from head gasket problems, but some people are still using them in their rat rods out here on the left coast. The ones I've seen for sale around here come in around a thousand dollars (rebuilt). They are a dime a dozen, so I'm not sure how "in demand" they are.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:15 AM
Patsgarage
CF Senior Member

Is it a complete running and driving car ?
Old 10-08-2018, 08:01 PM
GTOguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I was a technician in the auto industry from '79 to '96, and am still involved in the industry, although now in fleet service. The 3.0 V6 Ford used in the '80's and '90's held up and was a good engine. The 3.8 was a problem child all along. Motor mounts, head gaskets, electrolysis......a real lemon, and I worked on many of them. Just in the last two years, a co-worker was given a cherry '92 Taurus that his 90 year old mother had bought new. It had the 3.8, and only 60,000 miles on the clock. Looked like a new car. He ended up having to replace one piston and one head, and install new head gaskets and intake. And still had a great-looking P.O.S. Not a good engine, with so many other great designs out there available for peanuts. Just my experience.......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3.8 Ford v6 worth anything?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: