Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

E-ray almost confirmed???

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 02:57 PM
Jerradl1987
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 82 Posts

I guess Im just an unintelligent moron on this forum like many others on here. according to all the "smart" veteran forum members. because opinions and comments on here must meet an IQ level to their liking. so its very hard to be excited about a car that were passionate about without being ridiculed. ItS NoT A CoRvEtTe! The BoDy HaS FaKe cAmO On iT! ThAt'S NoT A AcCuRaTe ReNdEr! BECAUSE YOU GUYS KNOW IT ALL RIGHT?!

Last edited by Jerradl1987; 10-30-2018 at 03:03 PM. Reason: needed to add photo
Old 10-30-2018, 03:16 PM
savage99ss
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
GM has had electric and hybrid cars going back to the EV1. Jamming a huge battery into a car that only goes straight for 10 seconds at a time isn't exactly a technological milestone, especially for GM. The Chevy Volt is more of a "confirmation" of the ERay than this show car. At least the Volt is a real car that can be used in the real world.
The disdain for critical thinking that's becoming more and more prevalent in our culture is a far worse offence in my eyes. But next time I'll just keep my mouth shut so I don't upset people who get excited by intellectually lazy and poorly informed speculation.
I can see that your critical thinking was lacking. How do you know that GM did not trade mark the E-Ray name for an all electric Corvette of the future?
Old 10-30-2018, 05:21 PM
klavrack
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

My brother-in-law is an elec engineer at GM working on hybrids. He confirmed that they have hybrid C8's already in testing. He didn't know any specs.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:30 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by savage99ss
I can see that your critical thinking was lacking. How do you know that GM did not trade mark the E-Ray name for an all electric Corvette of the future?
How do you know it's not trademarked for use on a one-off concept car? We can play that game all day. If you want to talk about an all-electric E-Ray/C8, be my guest. But that's missing the original point. The OP specifically mentioned this eCOPO in the context of a Corvette-type gas/electric hybrid.

Suggesting a one-off concept electric drag car built by high school kids is some kind of early teaser for GMs hybrid sport/GT strategy is ridiculous. It's a shame everyone is so butthurt by that.

Reading comprehension is becoming as much of a lost art as critical thinking.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:26 PM
GrampZ
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

So is tolerance and common courtesy.

And, BTW, even though I don't agree with your tone or choice of words, I agree with your logic.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:26 PM
savage99ss
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

How do you know it's not trademarked for use on a one-off concept car? We can play that game all day. If you want to talk about an all-electric E-Ray/C8, be my guest. But that's missing the original point. The OP specifically mentioned this eCOPO in the context of a Corvette-type gas/electric hybrid.

Suggesting a one-off concept electric drag car built by high school kids is some kind of early teaser for GMs hybrid sport/GT strategy is ridiculous. It's a shame everyone is so butthurt by that.

I feel sorry for your coworkers. I’m sure your that guy everyone avoids.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:43 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default E-Ray is on it's way...

Electric power is coming to the Vette. Exactly when, who knows? But it's inevitable.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:58 PM
Jerradl1987
Instructor

Default Think really hard...

okay JeffV think about this I’ll say it really slow so you can Understand okay?
1.sting ray which is what? A corvette still with me?
2.manta ray which is what? A corvette too(concept but still corvette) cool huh?!
okay last 3. E-Ray what you think(all electric volt variant or some trash you come up in your head.
Now what do all these names have in common?? They are all relatively close named sea Rays! Isn’t that neat JeffV?!

Old 10-30-2018, 08:06 PM
Jerradl1987
Instructor

And by the way JeffV it’s all electric not gas/hybrid and I the original OP never said it was a hybrid. So get your facts straight before talking trash on my post. I do my research and can back it up too.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:12 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerradl1987
And by the way JeffV it’s all electric not gas/hybrid and I the original OP never said it was a hybrid. So get your facts straight before talking trash on my post. I do my research and can back it up too.
You know, that last bit I find funny. I remember a few years back that Tesla was tinkering with using a transmission but couldn't find one stout enough to hold up to the power of the motors they were using. The Idea was to lower the rpms that the motors were spinning at to improve range. I'm curious how bullet proof that turbo 400 is... I mean they always were but electric is a whole different ball game. Pretty cool. Also a photo popped up on my Instagram, they had this car with the hood open and there is just a gigantic box with wires going into it. It's pretty sick looking.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:38 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by IronV
Electric power is coming to the Vette. Exactly when, who knows? But it's inevitable.
I totally agree with your statement. I have owned Corvettes since 1976 C2, C3, C4, C5, C6, and C7's owning 26 of them. I do think down the road and not far off Corvette will offer either a Hybrid or total electric version. If you ever get the chance to drive a P90D or P100D Tesla do it. The car is very fast off the line up to about 150 when it tops out. I am an old school performance but I have to admit electric is the new future in performance!!!
Old 11-07-2018, 08:27 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
You know, that last bit I find funny. I remember a few years back that Tesla was tinkering with using a transmission but couldn't find one stout enough to hold up to the power of the motors they were using. The Idea was to lower the rpms that the motors were spinning at to improve range. I'm curious how bullet proof that turbo 400 is... I mean they always were but electric is a whole different ball game. Pretty cool. Also a photo popped up on my Instagram, they had this car with the hood open and there is just a gigantic box with wires going into it. It's pretty sick looking.
Of course there are transmissions that will hold. There are 910 lb/ft engines in production GM vehicles today. They have torque converters in them that multiply that torque. Now since that torque is at 1600 RPM instead of zero, that may make a difference. Maybe they could be run without torque converters.

The problem is getting a transmission that has all the specs at the desired size and weight.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:06 PM
Nadovedan
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
I totally agree with your statement. I have owned Corvettes since 1976 C2, C3, C4, C5, C6, and C7's owning 26 of them. I do think down the road and not far off Corvette will offer either a Hybrid or total electric version. If you ever get the chance to drive a P90D or P100D Tesla do it. The car is very fast off the line up to about 150 when it tops out. I am an old school performance but I have to admit electric is the new future in performance!!!
I’ve driven a few Tesla’s and they’re fun off the line but after that they fall flat. I can’t wait to see what the roadster will do as its being advertised as a super car 250 plus mph and crazy range of like 600 miles if I remember correctly.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:06 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

I the original OP never said it was a hybrid.

I think they are teasing what the C8 ME could have eventually in their "top level" car, using the DOHC twin turbo V8 and electric motors up front
Old 11-08-2018, 09:24 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,215 Posts

You can protest all you want, but I see the writing on the wall. It is very LIKELY that GM will produce a hybrid version of the C8 in the future. Electric motor(s) up front to make it an AWD car, combined ~1,000 HP, priced a little higher than the Acura NSX ($169,900). Where do I get this info? Here on CF...
Old 11-08-2018, 09:36 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
The Genovation GXE all-electric Corvette is much more impressive:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/geno...reen-hypercar/
First they built a C6 Z06 with a heavy battery and an electric motor and you could buy one for $300,000 and it was a 200 MPH EV C6 Z06.

The stock C6 Z06 for $75,000(when new) was capable of 198 MPH with it's 100 pounds of gasoline and it's original 505 HP ICE under the hood, and had 22 cubic feet of cargo space in the rear. The electric C6 Z06 lost that cargo space to batteries.

Seems like a lot of money just to gain 2 MPH top speed.

Last edited by JoesC5; 11-08-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:38 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by range96
You can protest all you want, but I see the writing on the wall. It is very LIKELY that GM will produce a hybrid version of the C8 in the future. Electric motor(s) up front to make it an AWD car, combined ~1,000 HP, priced a little higher than the Acura NSX ($169,900). Where do I get this info? Here on CF...
The "writing on the wall" that I see is that the $ 159,000 NSX is averaging sales of 14 a month.

Cadillac offered a "hybrid' version of the Escalade several years back. It was such a sales success that Cadillac discontuned it because they were making too much money off it. LOL

Last edited by JoesC5; 11-08-2018 at 09:44 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To E-ray almost confirmed???

Old 11-08-2018, 09:54 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

So at the 2018 SEMA show not a 3rd party company or some shop somewhere, but CHEVROLET themselves brought a 800 Volt ECOPO Camaro and it is packing some serious power using all electric motors. So with GM doing this and showing the world what they are capable of, I think they are teasing what the C8 ME could have eventually in their "top level" car, using the DOHC twin turbo V8 and electric motors up front making a combined 1,000 hp. I guess we will have to wait and see!
The "old fashioned" ICE powered COPO Camaro runs in the 8's.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:16 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The "writing on the wall" that I see is that the $ 159,000 NSX is averaging sales of 14 a month.

Cadillac offered a "hybrid' version of the Escalade several years back. It was such a sales success that Cadillac discontuned it because they were making too much money off it. LOL
The NSX failure: I could easily option one to $190K (Carbon Ceramic brakes, Carbon Fiber pieces, all standard on the ZR1) and have a COMBINED 573HP.
The C8 hybrid is NOT to improve fuel efficiency (Escalade, a luxury SUV), but for performance.

That is why I wouldn't use them to compare.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:19 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The "old fashioned" ICE powered COPO Camaro runs in the 8's.
I agree, all electric sport (race) cars are nothing more than exercise in politics.

Quick Reply: E-ray almost confirmed???