GM Cutting 13,000 Jobs and ceasing production of A Buick, Cadillac CTS and CT6, and.. - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Other Cars
Reload this Page >

GM Cutting 13,000 Jobs and ceasing production of A Buick, Cadillac CTS and CT6, and..

Notices
Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

GM Cutting 13,000 Jobs and ceasing production of A Buick, Cadillac CTS and CT6, and..

Old 11-27-2018, 08:13 AM
RACE U
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16
Default GM Cutting 13,000 Jobs and ceasing production of A Buick, Cadillac CTS and CT6, and..

i missed the other GM vehicles being eliminated. but basically following Fords announcement of eliminating passenger cars except for the mustang.

I guess buyers abandoning cars for trucks and SUV's.

Last edited by RACE U; 12-10-2018 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:08 PM
hungryhippo
CF Senior Member

No, ford and gm just make terrible cars and can't compete.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:41 PM
Hot Rod Roy
CF Senior Member

Are you ready to buy a Chinese car? They're coming!

Old 11-30-2018, 09:13 AM
leadfoot4
CF Senior Member

I know that many are bashing Trump over this, but IMHO a lot of the problems are attributable to the Obama "administration". They bailed out GM, and according to a 2nd generation GM dealer that's an uncle of one of my friends, when the Government "stepped in", they more than just provided money. They also provided some ill conceived "advice", as part of the deal. This resulted in a lot of crap going on within GM, and we can see the results of it, today. As this point, GM is making a number of cars that people don't want, therefore, they SHOULD be cut....
Old 11-30-2018, 12:52 PM
MidLifeinMI
CF Senior Member

I don't think many in the auto industry expected gas prices to stay under $3.00/gallon, and kept moving forward with compacts and hybrids (a reasonable approach with $4.XX gas prices). Regardless, GM, Ford and FCA have always had trouble building smaller cars to compete with the likes of Toyota and Honda, so now the industry is consolidating into their most profitable/best-selling niches - trucks and full-sized SUV's for the domestic brands, compacts and CUV's for the import brands. GM is probably doing the right thing at this point in time, and it has more to do with fuel prices than with either Obama's or Trump's policies.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:30 PM
JerriVette
CF Senior Member

In my opinion vehicles today costs so much they are kept longer so consumers are choosing cuvs as they stay-in style longer plus they are more space efficient.

since most are based on car platforms its just a lifted station wagon vehilce that presents itself and its owner as a person who can handle diversity in road conditions etc..

sedans have become a commodity market. Whichever leases are least expensive in the sedan market get chosen. There is very narrow profit margins.

moving to more cuv s and cutting back on sedans is a smart move.

producing more in the market segments that consumers want makes a lot of sense.

cutting back on product in market segments that are rapidly shrinking makes sense.

ev cuv s will be the hottest segment soon...and i believe gm will have quite the ev cuv lineup soon enough...

hopefully they will build here in the USA ...and put back many of the soon to be unemployed gm workers
Old 12-04-2018, 08:57 AM
leadfoot4
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by JerriVette View Post
In my opinion vehicles today costs so much they are kept longer so consumers are choosing cuvs as they stay-in style longer plus they are more space efficient.
I agree....and also, since there are a finite number of potential buyers, and those buyers are keeping their cars longer, that means that there's less demand, therefore there WILL be cutbacks, somewhere in the supply chain.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:40 PM
White Out
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by hungryhippo View Post
This.

Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I agree....and also, since there are a finite number of potential buyers, and those buyers are keeping their cars longer, that means that there's less demand, therefore there WILL be cutbacks, somewhere in the supply chain.
7.5 billion people.
New markets buying cars that didn't 5-10 years ago. There's more demand and more demand for good cars.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:06 PM
leadfoot4
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by White Out View Post
..7.5 billion people.
New markets buying cars that didn't 5-10 years ago. There's more demand and more demand for good cars.
But how many of those people are in America?
Old 12-05-2018, 01:38 AM
White Out
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
But how many of those people are in America?
I'm pretty sure the answer is on this website

Old 12-05-2018, 11:28 AM
leadfoot4
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by White Out View Post
I'm pretty sure the answer is on this website
..which re-affirms my point, that there aren't 7.5 billion potential new car buyers in America.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:29 PM
pjazz
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by hungryhippo View Post
I think Ford and GM have produced some pretty solid vehicles as of late but the profit margin is so slim they've just given up on development. It also doesn't help when some Americans won't buy there cars no matter what they produce. So just get ready for all sedans to be made by foreign manufactures. I'm also guessing once the foreign factories catch up with American Truck technology they'll eat our lunch on that too.

Last edited by pjazz; 12-10-2018 at 04:29 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM Cutting 13,000 Jobs and ceasing production of A Buick, Cadillac CTS and CT6, and..

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: