Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Vented Fuel Filler Cap Sprays Fuel... Put Fuel Cell Foam In Filler Neck?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 06:03 AM
Over9K
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Vented Fuel Filler Cap Sprays Fuel... Put Fuel Cell Foam In Filler Neck?

On spirited drives in twisties in the dunebuggy (rear engine/front fuel tank), I'm getting a mist of fuel on the windshield from the vented fuel cap spraying fuel, which has sloshed up the filler tube.

At first I figured it was the cap itself, because the one I had was old and the cork gasket had perished, and gone hard. I replaced with the correct cap, and I'm still having the problem.

The problem is the filler neck is short, only 7" or 8" inches, and it's 2" inner diameter, all the way down. Great for seeing the bottom of the tank, not so good for controlling fuel sloshing around.

Can I stuff a block of fuel cell foam in the filler neck? Is the tension of the foam trying to expand enough to keep it in place in the filler neck? Is there any reason this shouldn't work?

I'll have to pull it out to fill up, but that's better than fuel spraying everywhere.

Also, anybody got a brand they recommend? How much should I pay for the stuff? Prices seem to be all over the map, and gauging quality is difficult online.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:11 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

How would you fill the tank with foam in the filler neck?

Better to put a baffled fuel cell in.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:02 PM
Over9K
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Over9K
On spirited drives in twisties in the dunebuggy (rear engine/front fuel tank), I'm getting a mist of fuel on the windshield from the vented fuel cap spraying fuel, which has sloshed up the filler tube.

At first I figured it was the cap itself, because the one I had was old and the cork gasket had perished, and gone hard. I replaced with the correct cap, and I'm still having the problem.

The problem is the filler neck is short, only 7" or 8" inches, and it's 2" inner diameter, all the way down. Great for seeing the bottom of the tank, not so good for controlling fuel sloshing around.

Can I stuff a block of fuel cell foam in the filler neck? Is the tension of the foam trying to expand enough to keep it in place in the filler neck? Is there any reason this shouldn't work?

I'll have to pull it out to fill up, but that's better than fuel spraying everywhere.

Also, anybody got a brand they recommend? How much should I pay for the stuff? Prices seem to be all over the map, and gauging quality is difficult online.
Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
How would you fill the tank with foam in the filler neck?

Better to put a baffled fuel cell in.
I'm not having a custom fuel cell made, and they don't make one off the shelf for my application.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:18 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Over9K
I'm not having a custom fuel cell made, and they don't make one off the shelf for my application.

Missed the part where you said you would pull it out, I cant see why that wouldn't work. Make it tight enough so it cant slip down.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:45 AM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

Most all of the racing fuel cells I have used, have the fuel cell foam installed in the fuel cell. Also, we use a upside down check valve in the vent line. Just FYI

Get notified of new replies

To Vented Fuel Filler Cap Sprays Fuel... Put Fuel Cell Foam In Filler Neck?

Quick Reply: Vented Fuel Filler Cap Sprays Fuel... Put Fuel Cell Foam In Filler Neck?