Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Cadillac to become GM's EV brand, here comes the Electric "C8"...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 04:30 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
After 20 years, EV battery tech is finally to the point where the bulk of the population can get by on their daily needs with one. There are still some issues to hash out, namely quick charging for people on long trips, but the technology is no longer limiting for most of what a person does on an average day. Every manufacturer is jumping on the tech, as much as ICE stalwarts may scream and shout, it is coming.

When they get the price down to what an entry level decent sedan costs now, somewhere in the low-mid 20's, I'll readily jump on one. I'd love to no longer pay for gas on my 100 mile daily commute.
We have a Volt and Bolt for commuting, and hardly ever need to visit a gas station. Electric drive is great.
Yet for performance cars, ICE is still the way to go.

Last edited by 427Z0SX; 01-12-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:39 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
The so far un-talked-about biggest hurdle is the lack of charging capability in most urban areas and in all suburban homes with more than 2 cars.
In most large urban areas, like NYC and it boroughs, where people don't have driveways, much less garages and park wherever they can within 3 blocks of where the live, there are currently zero charging facilities available and there will never be enough unless the governments spend on the order of $5 trillion to upgrade the grid and infrastructure to install 50 million charging stations.
The population in cities is already sorting that out, via rideshare services and the new foray into car timeshares. There are already numerous parking lots and street spots for EV charging as well No, it won;t happen overnight, but as they become more prevalent, the options will increase. The big OEMs are already preparing for a shift away from every home being a private ownership home as well, when autonomous tech hits owning a vehicle at all will look a lot less appealing to many. Apartment complexes are indeed a big issue, but hardly an impossible thing to sort out over time. I'm guessing at one point, apartment owners were POd they had to wire their offerings of power silly fans and lights as well, then that they had to wire them for cable TV, and then that they had to wire them for internet. This is hardly different.

As far as the charging issue, it is rather easy to plan around having to charge three cars at once. I don't need to fill my car every day, and undoubtedly many folks will be able to go a week or more without topping off. It is also easy to develop tech that allows three cars to be plugged in, and to start charging one as soon as the previous is done.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:43 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Here you drive 50 miles a day for 50 weeks a year, but once a year you drive cross country and if an EV won't do it on a single charge it won't work for you. Really? You don't stop for lunch? I mean, take the other car. By the time all your cars are EVs, range won't be an issue. Battery design has NOT stagnated at all. Advances are being made all the time.
No different than the folks I know who own a pickup for the once a year they buy plywood at Home Depot, then spend the other 355 days trying to fit a long bed truck in a parking garage in Detroit. Some people get too hung up on the corner cases to realize the other 98% of what it is used for, and the options available for those corner cases.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:53 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Cadillac has done a miserable job selling ice vehicles and now they will be expected to sell EV. This is what, the third time since around 2002 that Cadillac has been rebranded. I think this may be the death of Cadillac. I don’t think GM is capable to market Cadillac much less EV. And I do like some electric vehicles, they are just to pricy except for the LEAF which is ugly.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:59 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

This study: https://www.inl.gov/article/charging...ructure-needs/ suggests otherwise. It makes sense for people to charge at work if there is a charger at work. It might work fine if the owner does not want to spend the grand it would take to wire up a circuit at home. But this study suggests people would much rather and do in fact charge at home. It doesn't make economic sense to pay 2.5 times as much for a commercial charge. That negates the whole point of buying an EV. So I'm not convinced the figure above is true at all. And of course they won't charge as fast as putting gas in a vehicle. Why should they have to? If you charge over night or at work, it doesn't matter.

People still get hung up on this non-issue. Unless you are traveling cross-country you don't need a 600 mile range. You don't even need a 200 mile range. All you need to do is get to work and back. All you need to do is get to the grocery store and back, to the mall and back. That is the vast majority of driving that we do. This kind of driving is what an EV is meant to accommodate and this accounts for the vast majority of gallons used. I have a friend who still has an XLR. This thing has a range of 90 miles only. After a year the car messaged him that it was going to force him to burn a tank of gas because the gas in the tank was over a year old. In a solid year he had NEVER used the gasoline engine. That's what most people will encounter.

One big mistake I see being made is that people judge EVs based on what is available today as if nothing will change, and they also judge EVs based on the most extreme practice that is possible, e.g. driving 600 miles a day. Here you drive 50 miles a day for 50 weeks a year, but once a year you drive cross country and if an EV won't do it on a single charge it won't work for you. Really? You don't stop for lunch? I mean, take the other car. By the time all your cars are EVs, range won't be an issue. Battery design has NOT stagnated at all. Advances are being made all the time.
Did you mean ELR instead of XLR? I think the ELR was a great looking car just too rich for me.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:59 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
No different than the folks I know who own a pickup for the once a year they buy plywood at Home Depot, then spend the other 355 days trying to fit a long bed truck in a parking garage in Detroit. Some people get too hung up on the corner cases to realize the other 98% of what it is used for, and the options available for those corner cases.
I'm glad you brought that up. EV trucks are going to be huge. And for Ford/GM to rely on them being gassers would be a big mistake. (I think it is a smokescreen myself.) Just look at the "work truck." It's a built in generator for power tools. What a Godsend for contractors! I have a 2007 Silverado long bed Duramax with 21,000 miles on it. I've taken exactly one road trip that would have required a recharge. It's great for dump runs, trips to the nursery, and for picking up the annual Christmas tree, and, oh yeah, Home Depot. Why do I even have it? Well, it's a long story involving diesel generators (sigh!) But I'm a perfect candidate for an EV truck and I do not think I'm alone. Pick-ups serve as local haulers. Once Tesla or Rivian or someone else gets their act together for this market, the F-150 is history. Hopefully both Ford and GM will throw batteries at these icons before it is too late.

Last edited by mschuyler; 01-12-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:34 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Originally Posted by prinzSD455
Did you mean ELR instead of XLR? I think the ELR was a great looking car just too rich for me.
Yes, thanks. Fixing!

Old 01-12-2019, 06:25 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

953 top level automotive executives around the world were surveyed, and 78% of them said that the breakthrough technology for EVs won't be better batteries, but hydrogen fuel cells. I agree with that. Fast electric charging is still slow. Who wants to sit around a charging station for a half hour to an hour every 200 miles? How can you possibly travel any distance like that? Add to this, that every time you fast charge, the battery life and capacity is degraded. That last 20% of charging takes forever. You can't fill the battery at your house to 100% everyday either, or the battery life and capacity is degraded. You want to increase range beyond the 300 miles we have now (which really isn't 300 miles when you can only charge to 80% on a regular basis), it gets to be impractical from a weight and size standpoint. We have hydrogen fuel cell cars now that will go over 350 miles on a 5 minute fill-up, and the new Hyundai Nexo is 380 miles. And you can fill up 100%, not 80%, without degrading anything.

When the lithium ion battery degrades over time, the cost to replace the battery will far exceed the value of the car, so the car will be junked. This is one reason why electric cars have such high depreciation. The range of an electric car will never be greater than the day your drive it off the showroom.

Then you have to consider where the energy is coming from. Most people charge in the middle of the night when rates are lowest. That's also when the sun isn't shining, and winds are at their lowest level. In California, less than 10% of the electricity is coming from renewables at night. You can check it out yourself at caliso.gov. So really, you are running your electric car on fossil fuels.

Excess renewable energy produced during the day can be used to make hydrogen, and used as a transportation fuel. It already is. 33% of California's hydrogen at a vehicle filling station comes from renewables, and at some stations it is 100%. Hydrogen can also be used to run stationary fuel cells.

Fuel Cell EVs are in their infancy. If the cost of hydrogen, and fuel cells can be brought down (GM is working with Honda on this, and a new joint FC plant is starting up in 2020), and they get more stations up and running, I can see this as a replacement for the internal combustion engine. People would not have to change their lifestyle to drive a FCEV. People really don't care what drives the car, as long as they don't have to adjust their schedule around the car.

Last edited by Michael A; 01-12-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:52 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Michael A
953 top level automotive executives around the world were surveyed, and 78% of them said that the breakthrough technology for EVs won't be better batteries, but hydrogen fuel cells. I agree with that. Fast electric charging is still slow. Who wants to sit around a charging station for a half hour to an hour every 200 miles? How can you possibly travel any distance like that? Add to this, that every time you fast charge, the battery life and capacity is degraded. That last 20% of charging takes forever. You can't fill the battery at your house to 100% everyday either, or the battery life and capacity is degraded. You want to increase range beyond the 300 miles we have now (which really isn't 300 miles when you can only charge to 80% on a regular basis), it gets to be impractical from a weight and size standpoint. We have hydrogen fuel cell cars now that will go over 350 miles on a 5 minute fill-up, and the new Hyundai Nexo is 380 miles. And you can fill up 100%, not 80%, without degrading anything.
Automotive executives are a big part of the problem. It's taken NON Auto executives to get the ball rolling here. You're driving back and forth to work. You don't need to travel "any distance" at all. You don't need to sit around a charging station because you will rarely go 200 miles at a time. You recharge at home at night and leave with a "full" tank in the morning. This range anxiety issue is a false problem. It's one of those, "if you can't take care of the most extreme case you shouldn't do anything" kind of arguments. We keep saying this over and over and over again, but someone always says, "But, but, but I can't travel from Boston to Atlanta on a single charge, so EVs are impractical." Then for God's sakes TAKE THE OTHER CAR! This is simply NOT an issue for the average commute, and THAT is what these cars are for.

When the lithium ion battery degrades over time, the cost to replace the battery will far exceed the value of the car, so the car will be junked. This is one reason why electric cars have such high depreciation. The range of an electric car will never be greater than the day your drive it off the showroom.
If the present is any indication, you'll change out your car well before that. Have there been ANY Teslas at all that have been junked because of a deteriorating battery? That's theory. not practice.

Then you have to consider where the energy is coming from. Most people charge in the middle of the night when rates are lowest. That's also when the sun isn't shining, and winds are at their lowest level. In California, less than 10% of the electricity is coming from renewables at night. You can check it out yourself at caliso.gov. So really, you are running your electric car on fossil fuels.
No, you don't have to consider where the energy comes from. You don't now. You're talking California. They are demanding zero emissions right now. They're not waiting for fuel cells. In Washington the rivers don't stop running at night. They provide renewable energy. YMMV.

Fuel Cell EVs are in their infancy. If the cost of hydrogen, and fuel cells can be brought down (GM is working with Honda on this, and a new joint FC plant is starting up in 2020), and they get more stations up and running, I can see this as a replacement for the internal combustion engine. People would not have to change their lifestyle to drive a FCEV. People really don't care what drives the car, as long as they don't have to adjust their schedule around the car.
Well, when you can buy one, let us know. Meanwhile EV's are increasingly available. They may very well be an interim solution, but there is no doubt whatsoever that they are coming to a showroom near you well in advance of fuel cells. We don't have to wait for the cost of fuel cells to come down. You don't have to "adjust your schedule" or "change their lifestyle" to drive an EV to work and back. Unless taking ten seconds to plug the car into an outlet is too onerous for some.

Last edited by mschuyler; 01-12-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:41 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

EVs are here to stay. Competition in this arena will become intense bringing the prices down rapidly. The chrome wheel and round taillight crowd can get on board or simply live in the past. Technology is changing our world and the products we use at an exponential rate. The ICE will become a museum piece in the near future whether some of the troglodytes here believe so or not. The world changes whether Joe 6-pack likes it or not.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:54 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
EVs are here to stay. Competition in this arena will become intense bringing the prices down rapidly. The chrome wheel and round taillight crowd can get on board or simply live in the past. Technology is changing our world and the products we use at an exponential rate. The ICE will become a museum piece in the near future whether some of the troglodytes here believe so or not. The world changes whether Joe 6-pack likes it or not.
And yet here you are checking in on the latest Gas powered corvette.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:57 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6

And yet here you are checking in on the latest Gas powered corvette.
Oh, really? Is there an electric Corvette that I missed?
Old 01-12-2019, 08:59 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Oh, really? Is there an electric Corvette that I missed?
that would be the point
Old 01-12-2019, 09:24 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

that would be the point
But not a very good one in context of an EV thread. The transition to EVs (or Fuel Cells) won't happen over night, but it will happen (IMO) a lot faster than most of us think. Meanwhile, we have one more C8/V8 Vette to enjoy before everyone starts bitching about the advent of the C9 Lectric Vette. I think the point of this particular thread is to start taking EV vehicles seriously, so it is appropriate to talk about them. Apparently GM is making Cadillac at the forefront of their EV strategy. And for the record, if this all folds over into a fuel cell strategy, that's fine with me. But the EV part is happening now and the C8 will be contemporaneous with a whole lot of EVs from GM itself, as well as competitive brands. Within five years (2024) most of us here will have an EV in our stable. We may hold onto our V8s until they are pried from our cold, dead fingers, but even that is inevitable because the Lectric Vette is going to be one awesome machine!
Old 01-12-2019, 09:30 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

I highly doubt the c9 is electric only. Most manufactures have stated they will manufacture gas engines past 2040. Sports cars and trucks will be the last to go. I do not doubt you see an electric corvette along side the gas model at some point. Most of those fan boying over the electrics do not own one currently, that is telling.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:51 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

How can "competition" bring down the cost of electric cars, when it is the cost of materials and manufacturing of the batteries that is keeping prices high? They are even subsidized, and they are still expensive. Plus, Tesla, who has the lowest battery costs is still losing money on every car. It is only subsidies and emissions credits that is keeping that company going.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:54 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

I highly doubt the c9 is electric only. Most manufactures have stated they will manufacture gas engines past 2040. Sports cars and trucks will be the last to go. I do not doubt you see an electric corvette along side the gas model at some point. Most of those fan boying over the electrics do not own one currently, that is telling.

I do not think it is "telling" at all given there are so few models to choose from currently. In fact, there are studies out that attribute the fall in demand for sedans to people who are waiting for EVs to become more available. I'm a perfect example of that. I'm delighted GM is going to use Cadillac to spearhead their EV focus. I have a CTS VSport and in a couple of years I will be an excellent candidate to transition to an EV. And here's GM saying they are dumping their sedans to the point of closing factories and laying off workers so they can concentrate on SUVs, crossovers, and trucks AS THEY TRANSITION TO EVs. How's THAT for "telling."? Is GM "fanboying" over electrics? Good Lord, that's ludicrous! NOBODY is going to be making ICE vehicles in 2040.

My guess is that GM is working as hard as they can to get crossovers, SUVs, AND trucks into the EV fold because that's next. if GM does not do this, Tesla may as well buy their factories. This is going to be a massive and fast transition. If you have ever seen graphs of transitions you will know they come in an "S" curve fashion. The tail of the S starts out slow, even appearing not to move, but at critical mass it launches skyward. That's where we are with EVs. The infrastructure is in place. The technology is there. In the next five years, it takes off.

The C9 will be the Lectric Vette. Plan on it.

Get notified of new replies

To Cadillac to become GM's EV brand, here comes the Electric "C8"...

Old 01-12-2019, 10:04 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Michael A
How can "competition" bring down the cost of electric cars, when it is the cost of materials and manufacturing of the batteries that is keeping prices high? They are even subsidized, and they are still expensive. Plus, Tesla, who has the lowest battery costs is still losing money on every car. It is only subsidies and emissions credits that is keeping that company going.
Have you seen the results of Tesla during the last two quarters? They turned a profit. They also outsold nearly every other sedan maker out there. They are NOT "losing money on every car." That is simply untrue. Get with the program here. That is so 2016. Now, subsidized? Not exactly. The subsidy does not go to Tesla. It goes to the consumer in the form of tax credits. Tesla does not see a penny of that "subsidy." It's just that the cars themselves wind up costing the consumer a bit less. At about $40k for a Model 3 that is not exactly "expensive." It may be more than a Honda Civic, but it is well within reach. You guys will do anything to downplay the revolution in EVs that is happening before your very eyes. Within five years you, too, will have an EV.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:08 PM
misteroman
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I drive on average 80ish miles a day. If GM made something similar to tesla's offering, I would be highly considering it. I also work at a GM engine plant. We don't think the ones starting today will be making engines when they retire......
D
Old 01-12-2019, 10:19 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

within five years you, too, will have an ev.
bs!