Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Other Cars
Reload this Page >

Didnít buy a Pantera, bought a 308 GTS at Barrett-Jackson

Notices
Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Didnít buy a Pantera, bought a 308 GTS at Barrett-Jackson

 
Old 01-31-2019, 04:30 PM
  #41  
AZDoug
CF Senior Member
 
AZDoug's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Camp Verde AZ
Posts: 10,781
Received 603 Likes on 440 Posts
2017 C1 of Year Finalist
Default

That is the owners manual in teh picture. I would suggest getting one. My car was built Sept '78, but its titled 1979, no diff in the cars though.

I would suggest a service manual and a parts manuals, which is very similar to an AIM. I have both, both are xerox reprints in three ring binders, the service manual (in Italian) came with the car, i bought the parts/assembly manual around 2009. The title page calls it a Spare parts Catalog, US Version 1978, and it is written in English and Italian, has lots of drawings in it. My service manual is for 1975, but again, close enuf.

Doug

Last edited by AZDoug; 01-31-2019 at 04:31 PM.
AZDoug is offline  
Old 01-31-2019, 04:43 PM
  #42  
vettebuyer6369
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
vettebuyer6369's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2000
Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Posts: 38,899
Received 1,780 Likes on 1,096 Posts
Default

So the book in the right is the “owners manual?” The one with no years or title on it? All Italian?

Ive seen yours identified as 78, 79 and 78-79. The picture below on eBay is called “79-80.”






Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 01-31-2019 at 04:50 PM.
vettebuyer6369 is online now  
Old 01-31-2019, 05:35 PM
  #43  
AZDoug
CF Senior Member
 
AZDoug's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Camp Verde AZ
Posts: 10,781
Received 603 Likes on 440 Posts
2017 C1 of Year Finalist
Default

Guy on ebay doesn't know his *** from a hole in the ground. Those books are for a GTSi , injected car, 1980 or later. You want a 77, 78 or 79 book.
My manual is in English and Italian, with one language written on each line below the other in a different color.

The top left is the manual in your posted pic, but it won't do you much good.

Look for book like the one on the right in my pic.
Doug

Last edited by AZDoug; 01-31-2019 at 05:37 PM.
AZDoug is offline  
Old 01-31-2019, 05:43 PM
  #44  
AZDoug
CF Senior Member
 
AZDoug's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Camp Verde AZ
Posts: 10,781
Received 603 Likes on 440 Posts
2017 C1 of Year Finalist
Default

GOOD GOD!
This is what you want.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-308...Nsz:rk:37:pf:0

Or this if you are on a budget:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-308...f-a:rk:56:pf:0

Veirfy from the seller they ahve English translation before you buy.

$3800 buy it now for the pic of manuals you posted?????
****, I the manuals and tool sets and jack set I showed are worth half of what i paid for my car!
Doug

Last edited by AZDoug; 01-31-2019 at 05:48 PM.
AZDoug is offline  
Old 01-31-2019, 05:49 PM
  #45  
AZDoug
CF Senior Member
 
AZDoug's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Camp Verde AZ
Posts: 10,781
Received 603 Likes on 440 Posts
2017 C1 of Year Finalist
Default

I see why people remove them before taking the cars in for service.
Doug
AZDoug is offline  
Old 01-31-2019, 05:53 PM
  #46  
AZDoug
CF Senior Member
 
AZDoug's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Camp Verde AZ
Posts: 10,781
Received 603 Likes on 440 Posts
2017 C1 of Year Finalist
Default


If your fuse blocks look like this, and are not black phenloic with glass AGC fuses, replace them.
Note the melted parts on the original fuse block.
Doug
AZDoug is offline  
Old 01-31-2019, 06:48 PM
  #47  
vettebuyer6369
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
vettebuyer6369's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2000
Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Posts: 38,899
Received 1,780 Likes on 1,096 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by AZDoug View Post
GOOD GOD!
This is what you want.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-308...Nsz:rk:37:pf:0

Or this if you are on a budget:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-308...f-a:rk:56:pf:0

Veirfy from the seller they ahve English translation before you buy.

$3800 buy it now for the pic of manuals you posted?????
****, I the manuals and tool sets and jack set I showed are worth half of what i paid for my car!
Doug
Originally Posted by AZDoug View Post
I see why people remove them before taking the cars in for service.
Doug
You can see why I was confused as to what was right.

I thought $200 was pricey for an original Owners Manual for my split window.
vettebuyer6369 is online now  
Old 02-01-2019, 07:19 AM
  #48  
pappy.72
CF Senior Member
 
pappy.72's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2007
Location: Elgin IL
Posts: 5,135
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default

I suggest Ferrarichat.com and also going here for some good service info. http://www.birdman308.com/ The birdman fuse box is the best too.

Last edited by pappy.72; 02-01-2019 at 07:20 AM.
pappy.72 is offline  
Old 02-01-2019, 03:35 PM
  #49  
AZDoug
CF Senior Member
 
AZDoug's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Camp Verde AZ
Posts: 10,781
Received 603 Likes on 440 Posts
2017 C1 of Year Finalist
Default

Originally Posted by pappy.72 View Post
I suggest Ferrarichat.com and also going here for some good service info. http://www.birdman308.com/ The birdman fuse box is the best too.
The Birdman site has a LOT of good DIY info. Especially if you can't read Italian that well and you are looking at a service manual.

Doug
AZDoug is offline  
Old 02-09-2019, 09:43 PM
  #50  
vettebuyer6369
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
vettebuyer6369's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2000
Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Posts: 38,899
Received 1,780 Likes on 1,096 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by AZDoug View Post
The Birdman site has a LOT of good DIY info. Especially if you can't read Italian that well and you are looking at a service manual.

Doug
Is Birdman still In business? I tried to subscribe to his letter and it came back bad. I see his site mentions traveling in 2018 but not sure if he’s active now. The fusebox upgrade looks like a good idea. I’m noticing a couple electrical issues on my car already... making them go away would be good.

I have also been shopping for a pouch, Owners Manual etc and wow did it take some effort to nail down what was correct for my car. I actually downloaded a manual for the time being, but I still want to buy a real one with a real, correct pouch.

Im also going to buy an antenna and hatch struts, although it seems there multiple option on each and I’m not sure what’s best. Lots of struts on eBay.



Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 02-09-2019 at 09:54 PM.
vettebuyer6369 is online now  
Old 02-10-2019, 10:27 AM
  #51  
hawkgfr
CF Senior Member
 
hawkgfr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 8,792
Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Default

awesome car....enjoy!
hawkgfr is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 12:00 PM
  #52  
AZDoug
CF Senior Member
 
AZDoug's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Camp Verde AZ
Posts: 10,781
Received 603 Likes on 440 Posts
2017 C1 of Year Finalist
Default

The manual may be a repop, but it doesn't matter as the info is all there. My Manual is book bound, not spiral bound.
Dunno about Birdman, ask on the discussion board at ferrarichat. i would ask about replacement struts there also. Just take your old antenna out and haul it down to the locals FLAPS and find something that look dimensional similar.
Doug
AZDoug is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 01:38 PM
  #53  
vettebuyer6369
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
vettebuyer6369's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2000
Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Posts: 38,899
Received 1,780 Likes on 1,096 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by AZDoug View Post
The manual may be a repop, but it doesn't matter as the info is all there. My Manual is book bound, not spiral bound.
Dunno about Birdman, ask on the discussion board at ferrarichat. i would ask about replacement struts there also. Just take your old antenna out and haul it down to the locals FLAPS and find something that look dimensional similar.
Doug
Oh, I know on the manual, I had it spiral bound with cover myself. I went to a site that has all the manuals available on pdf, printed the owner’s manual out and bound it because it was a surprising 115 pages. This is my reference for use in the garage or elsewhere without having to worry about getting a $400 original dirty!

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 02-10-2019 at 01:39 PM.
vettebuyer6369 is online now  
Old 02-10-2019, 02:50 PM
  #54  
AZDoug
CF Senior Member
 
AZDoug's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Camp Verde AZ
Posts: 10,781
Received 603 Likes on 440 Posts
2017 C1 of Year Finalist
Default

That's not a bad idea. My manual has some small impressions in the cover from when when i was reassembling one of the carbs on it back about 1986 or so.

Doug
AZDoug is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 03:13 PM
  #55  
vettebuyer6369
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
vettebuyer6369's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2000
Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Posts: 38,899
Received 1,780 Likes on 1,096 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by AZDoug View Post
That's not a bad idea. My manual has some small impressions in the cover from when when i was reassembling one of the carbs on it back about 1986 or so.

Doug
Yeah they are so cool to have, especially the stuff you have including the tools. Itís just not worth putting any wear on them.

I just noticed the key fob that came with the car is listed on eBay for $517. A. E. Lorioli with the ďMilanoĒ mark on the back. My seller made sure he kept the sellable stuff (if he had them) but missed this. To be fair, mine is pretty scratched up.

vettebuyer6369 is online now  
Old 02-10-2019, 04:47 PM
  #56  
AZDoug
CF Senior Member
 
AZDoug's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Camp Verde AZ
Posts: 10,781
Received 603 Likes on 440 Posts
2017 C1 of Year Finalist
Default

ANYTHING Ferrari is expensive. Do not ever, ever break your rear window glass, and even windshields are pretty much very hard to come by. When a car gets wrecked, the parts vultures are on it immediately picking it clean.

I think 17" wheels FOR a Ferrari are $500-$1200 each, or more.

I found some Volvo aftermarket wheels for $94 each (they have the right bolt pattern),and machined a small adapter ring to fit the horsey hubcap to the wheels, and used some Viper hub centric adapters to fit the wheel to the hub,and 3/8" wheel spacers on the rear to fill out the fenders better and voila, wheels that sorta look like they are off a 360,and it drives the Ferrari people bonkers trying to figure out what kind of wheels I have.

Doug
AZDoug is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 06:56 PM
  #57  
vettebuyer6369
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
vettebuyer6369's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2000
Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Posts: 38,899
Received 1,780 Likes on 1,096 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by AZDoug View Post
ANYTHING Ferrari is expensive. Do not ever, ever break your rear window glass, and even windshields are pretty much very hard to come by. When a car gets wrecked, the parts vultures are on it immediately picking it clean.

I think 17" wheels FOR a Ferrari are $500-$1200 each, or more.

I found some Volvo aftermarket wheels for $94 each (they have the right bolt pattern),and machined a small adapter ring to fit the horsey hubcap to the wheels, and used some Viper hub centric adapters to fit the wheel to the hub,and 3/8" wheel spacers on the rear to fill out the fenders better and voila, wheels that sorta look like they are off a 360,and it drives the Ferrari people bonkers trying to figure out what kind of wheels I have.

Doug
Very cool. I still don't know what my wheels are.
vettebuyer6369 is online now  
Old 02-13-2019, 10:58 PM
  #58  
JerriVette
CF Senior Member
 
JerriVette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2003
Location: Bergen county NJ
Posts: 11,324
Received 1,282 Likes on 811 Posts
Default

COOl radwood ferrari!
JerriVette is offline  
Old 02-14-2019, 06:55 PM
  #59  
vettebuyer6369
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
vettebuyer6369's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2000
Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Posts: 38,899
Received 1,780 Likes on 1,096 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JerriVette View Post
COOl radwood ferrari!
Never heard that expression before, had to look it up.

Does a Ď79 count?
vettebuyer6369 is online now  
Old 02-14-2019, 11:07 PM
  #60  
AZDoug
CF Senior Member
 
AZDoug's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Camp Verde AZ
Posts: 10,781
Received 603 Likes on 440 Posts
2017 C1 of Year Finalist
Default

Yes, as it was driven in the 1980s.
I KNEW I should have keep my Carrara glasses. Which I DID wear when driving the 308. Actually, i wore them all the time as they were prescription and tinted. Never went in for gold chains of Don Johnson suits, though.

Doug
AZDoug is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Didnít buy a Pantera, bought a 308 GTS at Barrett-Jackson


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: