Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

OT - Fuel Injection for 1956 Bel Air

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 08:19 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Default OT - Fuel Injection for 1956 Bel Air

OK, a bit off topic, but you guys have the knowledge and experience that I am looking for.

My 1956 BelAir project is moving again, and it will be coming out of the restoration shop soon (I hope).

The car is currently equipped with a 1973 350 short block, with 1968 cylinder heads, a 1978 cast iron intake, and a Rochester Q-Jet. Also has a 2004R trans from a Buick Grand National. This all works (worked?) fine, but I am looking to upgrade to a Fuel Injection system of some kind.

My main goal in doing this is ease of start and operations, and maybe a slight gain in fuel economy.

My criteria for selecting a system is (in priority order)

1. Simplicity of operation once installed
2. Cost of the system
3. Long term continued support for the system

The options as I see them are:
1. GM TBI system from mid 1990s truck engines
2. GM Tuned Port Injection system from late 1980s to mid 1990s Corvettes and Camaros
3. Aftermarket TBI type system (Holley Spider, FAST, etc.)

Whatever I do will require a change to the fuel tank and fuel pump setup, and also the fuel line arrangements.

I do not want to change the heads or complete engine, so what I am looking for needs to be compatible to this engine with just a manifold / distributor change.
(I am thinking about a long term plan to swap the drive train for a LS 5.3 and automatic trans, but I am not ready to do that yet).

GM TBI System (Pros and Cons)
Pros
1. Simple to install
2. Easy to understand
3. Minimum of changes to engine (change intake, TBI, distributor)
4. Well supported in the auto parts system
5. Multiple vendors supply computer systems for this application (low to mid RPM, 250-300 hp range, automatic overdrive)
6. Very inexpensive
Cons
1. Dated (very dated) technology
2. Not as efficient as later systems

GM Tuned Port Injection
1. Simple to install
2. Easy to understand
3. Minimum of changes to engine (change intake to TPI setup, distributor)
4. Well supported in the auto parts system
5. Multiple vendors supply computer systems for this application (low to mid RPM, 250-300 hp range, automatic overdrive)
6. Still inexpensive, but significantly more expensive than TBI
Cons
1. Dated (but better) technology

Aftermarket System
1. Simple to install
2. Easy to understand
3. Minimum of changes to engine (change intake to TPI setup, distributor)
4. Well supported in the auto parts system (for now, and some are better supported than others)
5. Self learning capability for the engine controller (for some systems)
6. Current technology
7. Efficient systems once properly tuned.
Cons
1. Expensive

Given what I currently have, and my long term plan for an LS swap, I am leaning toward either the TBI setup. One additional advantage to that is that I can use a modified 1956 4 bbl air cleaner to keep the classic look of the engine.

Thoughts?
Old 02-23-2019, 08:45 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 884 Likes on 633 Posts

TBI makes sense if you plan an LS swap in the future. Not enough performance gain from a port injection system to justify the cost if the whole thing will be mothballed \ sold in the future. That and your choice of intakes is bigger. There are some very good aftermarket TBI systems and some of them don't need a fuel return line. However dated TBI is, its light years less dated than carbs.

Last edited by Avispa; 02-23-2019 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:50 PM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

The Holley system is the only way to go. I did Projection back in the 90s on a Monte Carlo SS. I've tuned pretty much every LS platform up to the GenII CTS-V. The current Holley setup my buddy installed on his 9 second Turbo T and it's truly self tuning, wideband. Get a good base tune, set the targets and it takes care of itself...

Of course I thought the same thing as others have mentioned. Ditch the venerable but leaky 350 and throw an LQ9 or L92 in that beast... Holley it too if you want...

Last edited by Closer_2001; 03-22-2019 at 10:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To OT - Fuel Injection for 1956 Bel Air

Quick Reply: OT - Fuel Injection for 1956 Bel Air