Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

off topic - bought a Ford Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 03:30 PM
Dark Sarcasm
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by clearwaterms
beautiful truck. I was discussing these with a friend at a party a while back and he was claiming that Ford dealerships are charging over sticker for these meaning that fully equipped they can run upwards of $100k. That didn't seem right. If you are willing to share any information about what you paid for the truck it would help me settle an argument with a friend on these.
some dealers are charging over MSRP but there are plenty out there that are selling at a discount. Kind of depends on the dealer and the region. If someone paid upward of 100k they are probably getting the Shelby Edition or really really screwed.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:00 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by clearwaterms
beautiful truck. I was discussing these with a friend at a party a while back and he was claiming that Ford dealerships are charging over sticker for these meaning that fully equipped they can run upwards of $100k. That didn't seem right. If you are willing to share any information about what you paid for the truck it would help me settle an argument with a friend on these.
Funny you ask - one of the main reasons I completely overlooked a Raptor when I originally bought my '15 GMC Sierra, & then again had it @ the bottom of the list of trucks to check out when my GMC got totaled, was b/c #1 - optioned up like a higher level "SLT" or "LTZ" - or denali/high country, MSRP gets very high as the starting point is around $50k on a base on w/ cloth seats (obviously you're getting all the mechanical bits like HO engine/4x4/suspension/tires/etc.etc. @ that price) - I have an 801A equipment group on mine w/ a bunch of other "a la carte" option boxes checked off that make it almost equivalent to the 802a package which is around $10k to begin with. #2 it was common knowledge on forums & around my area locally (S. eastern MA or New England in general) that the dealers were asking for, and getting markups over sticker - in some cases WELL over sticker.

Long story short - this phenomenon started to blow up on em - the Gen2 Raptors were so capable & sought after dealers got minimal allocations, ordered them all decked out, jacked up the prices & sold every one of em - except then for '19 they made even more updates, the '17-18' owners scorned by high dealer prices start demanding crazy $$$$ on trade, many places pay up for the trucks even (especially?) non-Ford dealers, & they also started selling for high value as lightly used in the private market. The high optioned '18's started sitting on lots. While guys who initially overpaid wait to trade up for a '19+, or the guy wanting a new one decides to buy one for $15k less w/ 10k on the clock. One thing is - these suckers hold their value almost better than anything else out there, no joke. SOme guys were content ordering a stripped down Raptor, paying the MSRP, & sitting on their hands waiting for it to arrive vs. overpaying for a heavily optioned (and/or marked up) raptor sitting on the lot. Uh oh....now seems like Ford may have "accidentally" flooded the market slightly w/ Raptors - tons of low mileage used ones hitting lots + more people custom ordering Raptors by % than any other Ford truck + outrageously optioned up high MSRP dealer allocations stagnating on lots in the meantime.

This seems to be just happening now & supposedly Ford is starting to curtail production to keep exclusivity up - I still think it is one of the "best values" period in new cars today, both from what you get for your $$$ plus how well they retain value.

Long story shorter - biggest Ford dealer in MA (Rodman - right across from Gillette Stadium) w/ the largest inventory had one of the owners calling me telling me that "I usually don't get involved in day to day sales activity, but when it involves a special/exclusive vehicle like the Raptor I want to make sure those customers get treated well" he goes on: "typically we've been getting $8-10k over sticker for these trucks but given that it is President's day weekend & we want to earn your new business I'd be willing to go only $2000 over MSRP on ANY of our Raptors on the lot" - I was like, oh great does that deal come w/ a free bottle of vaseline?

I wound up finding the 2nd "cheapest" supercrew '18 Raptor within a 150 mile radius (sticker attached) - I ended up paying $60,000 even but that price included the dealer throwing in a nice rollup tonneau (truxedo brand) + $1000 credit toward an extended warranty + ttl - so I feel like I got a decent deal given that its a Raptor & so sought after. For comparison sake a leftover '18 Denali Ultimate fully loaded truck (even the upcharge paint) that stickered for $1000 more than this Raptor I got down to $51,800 - if you subtract the value of the extended warranty & tonneau (even though part of the deal) its essentially like I paid $7500 more for the Raptor. Is it worth $7500 more? Yes, yes it is. And then some IMO.

So YES you can get a deal on these trucks but need to find the right dealer in the right area - there are still plenty of people out there willing to pay sticker or more for these things, but look for a small dealer - my truck had been sitting on the lot for 5 months.

Good luck!

Last edited by C5Dobie; 03-08-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:59 PM
GRCTampa
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 96 Posts

My son has owned his over a year and says it’s a great truck. He had it tuned early on.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:45 PM
Quak
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who drives Raptor, do you use weight distribution hitches? And if so which ones? I found reviews on some of them https://reviewseye.com/best-weight-distribution-hitches but I still don't understand enough to choose. What recommendations would you give?
Old 04-12-2019, 11:44 AM
serpent
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedvert
Congrats I love my Denali
Sorry but that thing is ugly AF. Just like the 2019 Camaro. GM has shitty execs approving these ugly *** designs. I'm not surprised Camaro sales have plummeted. I bet gmc and Chevy trucks will follow too. And I like GMC trucks, just not these turds.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:45 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Originally Posted by Quak
Who drives Raptor, do you use weight distribution hitches? And if so which ones? I found reviews on some of them https://reviewseye.com/best-weight-distribution-hitches but I still don't understand enough to choose. What recommendations would you give?
I mean...I don't tow much nor do I plan on it. I do put some heavy stuff in the bed fairly regularly (do alot of landscaping/hardscape stuff myself + have huge fire pit in backyard so pallets/crushed stone/wood chips/mulch/pavers etc.), I do have an ATV & plan on adding another as well as jet ski, but these aren't heavy loads by any stretch. The new gen 2 crew cab Raptors actually have decent towing/payload stats - I think its 1200 lbs payload & 8800 lbs towing - a gen 1 Raptor wouldn't tow squat w/o the being nose high *** sagging & I think the payload was 1/2 what it is is now, which is to say fairly useless.

This isn't the truck for you if you want to tow anything over 5500-7000 lbs regularly.

My recommendation? Don't tow w/ the Raptor unless your idea of towing is similar to mine (bass boat, jet skis, 5000 lb airstream camper, trailer w/ couple ATVs etc)

As for the GM trucks....have had 4 over my life, only thing I'll miss is the V8 soundtrack (although WONT miss AFM crap that essentially require cam job @ some point & voiding warranty) & I'll miss the bumper steps, that's it.

EDIT - I think this is what you want if you're going that route: https://andersenhitches.com/catalog/...tion-kits.aspx

Last edited by C5Dobie; 04-12-2019 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:12 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Great choice in a truck. I’ve had my 17 Raptor for almost 2 years. Just hit 36k miles and it’s the best daily driver I’ve had. I’ll be looking at getting a 2020 model next year. Unless the Dodge TRX makes it out and is everything the hype makes it out to be.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:24 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Originally Posted by saleen556
Great choice in a truck. I’ve had my 17 Raptor for almost 2 years. Just hit 36k miles and it’s the best daily driver I’ve had. I’ll be looking at getting a 2020 model next year. Unless the Dodge TRX makes it out and is everything the hype makes it out to be.
Totally agree on the daily driver statement....my previous all time fav DD was my '08 Pontiac G8 GT....this Raptor though? Gives me the same or more smiles from a performance standpoint of the G8 + all the room, capability, 4x4, payload, looks, creature comforts, etc etc etc

LOVE IT I'm keeping this one all the way up to 95k miles.....then will decide either to trade out for something else or keep it depending on situation, how it ages, what else is out there etc. First time I opted to get a full extension of factory b2b warranty to 6 years 100k miles. May as well take advantage of it. Its also the first vehicle I've had limited desire to mod, even though there's a ton of potential for that, the truck is so hooked up from the factory its really a non-issue. Some lighting/appearance stuff, maybe a tune down the road...
Old 04-12-2019, 02:33 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

I’ve left mine stock other than the MX4 tonneau cover. I’m just amazed at the comfort and practicality.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:21 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

I’ve left mine stock other than the MX4 tonneau cover. I’m just amazed at the comfort and practicality.
I hear ya, just super tempting guys are netting +100hp/tq (bhp) from a tune only. Saw guys logging consistent 4.6 0-60 runs w/ nothing but a tune!!!!

415-430whp 455-470rwtq w/ just tunes is insane. INSANE! BUT - I am waiting til the tuners come up w/ corresponding TCM tunes to compliment the engine tuning, right now the TCM still retains stock parameters...since its a new tranny design, new motor design (sort of) etc. I'm going to wait & see how these trucks do w/ the tunes after alot of miles & abuse.

The engine itself is beastly though & should hold up fine w/ tune/increased boost - the forged crank/heads/cylinder head design/plenum/valves are all shared w/ the Ford GT...not the common 3.5 egoboost.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:57 PM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

how do you really feel?

Originally Posted by serpent
Sorry but that thing is ugly AF. Just like the 2019 Camaro. GM has shitty execs approving these ugly *** designs. I'm not surprised Camaro sales have plummeted. I bet gmc and Chevy trucks will follow too. And I like GMC trucks, just not these turds.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:18 AM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Don't know about that. Looking at the raptor front end and the gmc they could be easily mistaken for kissing cousins. Only real differnces Is one is chromed and the other black. Neither in my opinion are as clean looking as a Silverado standard or z71 front end. Ive drove silverados since 1977 and buy a new one every 3 years. that said I think the new ram puts them all to shame in the looks dept.
Originally Posted by serpent
Old 04-28-2019, 09:49 PM
tibasnatch
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

actually thinking about getting one...I would have to sell my 2017 grand sport but Ive had that for 2 years and plan to get rid of it this year anyways.....have 2 cars now but want to go down to one and the raptor might be it.

I measured it though...it would literally fit in my garage with about 1 inch to spare!
Old 05-02-2019, 09:33 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
”Ram” and “reliability” do not belong in the same sentence!
I bought an 18 Laramie Hemi 4x4 crew cab. $54k sticker for $41k. So far after 14 months and 11k miles it has been flawless. But that can change. Every vehicle is junk when it doesn't work properly or at all.

I have had 3 hemi vehicles, Durango, Jeep and now the Ram. All have been pretty much trouble free other than a wheel speed sensor. The engines are solid, the 8 speed is amazing, and the rears are strong. If it has problems the dealer can fix it. Ina. Few years I will buy a new one anyway so who cares about extended warranty?
Old 05-02-2019, 09:47 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
I bought an 18 Laramie Hemi 4x4 crew cab. $54k sticker for $41k. So far after 14 months and 11k miles it has been flawless. But that can change. Every vehicle is junk when it doesn't work properly or at all.

I have had 3 hemi vehicles, Durango, Jeep and now the Ram. All have been pretty much trouble free other than a wheel speed sensor. The engines are solid, the 8 speed is amazing, and the rears are strong. If it has problems the dealer can fix it. Ina. Few years I will buy a new one anyway so who cares about extended warranty?
I have no issue with Dodge. My 17 Raptor has been trouble free for 37k miles and I will have no problem trading for the TRX if it delivers. 575hp-707hp sounds like FUN.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:30 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Originally Posted by tibasnatch
actually thinking about getting one...I would have to sell my 2017 grand sport but Ive had that for 2 years and plan to get rid of it this year anyways.....have 2 cars now but want to go down to one and the raptor might be it.

I measured it though...it would literally fit in my garage with about 1 inch to spare!
Mine is still stock got 4500 miles on it now, really started to wake-up after 1500-2000 miles & I def notice the tranny shifts smoother/sharper overall & the turbos spool more readily - its quicker in general now that its broken in. That being said, I went for a ride yesterday w/ a customer/industry buddy who also has a gen 2 raptor but has a CAI & a custom tune (had an "MPT" tune loaded onto a cobb accessport tuner) - HOLY **** - there's NOTHING out there on the road like this thing. Nothing close. I think I may have said something similar before, but its like a mad scientist mixed up the DNA from a Range Rover, a Ford Lightning, a polaris RZR & a well optioned 1/2 ton - & the Raptor is the mutant result lol

I've been running only 93 since I bough it, the first 500 miles it got really crap mileage like 13-14.5, I have a decent amount of idle hrs on it since I got it mid feb & was still doing alot of remote starts. So the first 1500 miles or so isn't reflective of its real MPG, that being said I'm now @ 15.8 mpg overall based on "trip A" that's been running since I took delivery @ 120 miles. I just came back from a 900 mile road trip that was 85% hwy/15% city & got 16.5 - this is w/ CC set between from 72 up to even 82mph a good chunk of the time!!!!! From a 3.5" lifted, wide-body brick, 4.10 geared, 450hp/510tq full size truck riding on 35" AT's!!!!! Seriously a feat of engineering & a testament that truck is more than the sum of its parts.

Its hands down the most satisfying new vehicle purchase ever for me - and I'm getting to where I'm losing count lol - it is the best DD I have ever owned by a long shot, a real "jack of all trades" that can still make a guy w/ a 440whp Z06 grin every time I get behind the wheel & its the only truck/DD I can ever remember turning around so I could look back at it in a parking lot type of thing lol

Just get one - if you don't need an HD to tow there is no better truck out there, no 1/2 ton comes close.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:37 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

I have no issue with Dodge. My 17 Raptor has been trouble free for 37k miles and I will have no problem trading for the TRX if it delivers. 575hp-707hp sounds like FUN.

Don't jump too fast supposedly Ford is dropping a "super Raptor" to close out this gen of the F150, it'll have a new 5.2 SC'd V8 & 700+ hp as well. Personally....that gets into overkill territory for me on a vehicle that's a DD, even if $$$ were truly not a factor, but I had to choose 1 DD I would prefer the docility & "lower key" behavior of the HO 3.5EB in my Raptor now & if I felt like it needs more power in the future I'll just get it tuned. For same reason I think I'd rock an SRT8 Jeep as a DD over a Trackhawk

If money were completely not a concern I guess the real answer is have a tackhawk, a 3.5 Gen 2 raptor, a TRX & a vette lol

Get notified of new replies

To off topic - bought a Ford Raptor

Old 05-04-2019, 12:42 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
Don't jump too fast supposedly Ford is dropping a "super Raptor" to close out this gen of the F150, it'll have a new 5.2 SC'd V8 & 700+ hp as well. Personally....that gets into overkill territory for me on a vehicle that's a DD, even if $$$ were truly not a factor, but I had to choose 1 DD I would prefer the docility & "lower key" behavior of the HO 3.5EB in my Raptor now & if I felt like it needs more power in the future I'll just get it tuned. For same reason I think I'd rock an SRT8 Jeep as a DD over a Trackhawk

If money were completely not a concern I guess the real answer is have a tackhawk, a 3.5 Gen 2 raptor, a TRX & a vette lol
Thanks for the update. Yes I’m not jumping ship to soon. Going to keep my 17 for another year anyway. Just hoping for more info on the latest trucks. Very happy with my 17. After nearly 2 years I think I just get a bit bored. They are indeed great trucks.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:49 AM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

so when is gm going to step up with a competitor to the raptor. How about a lt4 motor with a real off road package. Not the 2 in lift and still small tire there pretend off road truck has that they don't even offer the 6.2 in. Heck they could detune that lt4 and make it more orientated for torque and come in at around 500 hp and smoke a raptor. Tell you the real truck id like to see chev build. The ss concept truck. It was a short box standard cab 2x4 with a zo6 505 hp motor a bit of lowering and it was bad to the bone. I think that truck would sell. I know the 505 is gone but even the motor out of a standard vette at 435 would push it just fine. Heck id be happy if they would just put the 6.2 in one.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:25 PM
NW-99SS
Safety Car

Received 712 Likes on 369 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Sierra AT4 gets the 6.2 with an offroad package.

Not a big fan of the new GMs. Raptor is a cool truck, but it can't tow what I need it to (9K lb camper, enclosed car hauler).

So far, happy with my 2017 Denali 6.2 1500. The way truck prices are going, will be a long time before I look for a replacement.

Quick Reply: off topic - bought a Ford Raptor