Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Other Cars
Reload this Page >

'13 Grand Sport drivetrain in a '74 Hilux

Notices
Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

'13 Grand Sport drivetrain in a '74 Hilux

Old 04-22-2019, 04:39 PM
hambler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '13 Grand Sport drivetrain in a '74 Hilux

Hello all, I imagine this will be either a love it or hate it type thing on here, but I have a little project I'm currently working on. Where would be the most appropriate place to start a build thread on this forum?

Project Goals: I've always admired the performance/money ratio of a corvette, but much prefer to drive old vehicles with "charm". As such, I'm combining both into the same vehicle. The truck is first getting built to compete in Hot Rod Drag Week 2019, but then will become my daily driver. This wasn't the original plan for the build, but here we are. I bought a wrecked 2013 Corvette Grand Sport 6 speed manual car, and I am putting the engine, transmission, brakes, suspension, etc into my 1974 Toyota Hilux. Where the build gets interesting (if this hasn't already gotten your attention) is that I love the patina on the truck so much I refuse to widebody it... so we have to narrow the front of the corvette 13" and the back of the corvette 15". Another very strict requirement of mine is that nothing is mounted in the bed, and we don't cut the bed up at all. I want to be able to throw my four wheeler in the back of this and go riding with it. We are putting an LSA blower on the dry sump ls3, and running e85. I'm hoping to see at least 600hp at the rear tires. The class of drag week we are competing in will not let us run faster than 10.0, however I am putting an 8.50 spec cage in because I hope the truck will eventually see single digit time slips. Because we are narrowing the track width so much we are building a frame from scratch for it to allow for the very tight packaging.

Current Status: We've gotten the drive train out of the Corvette, on the chassis table and the hilux body mocked up over it. I managed to find a set of 16" rear wheels with 26x11.5" slicks and 17x4.5" front runner CCW wheels that fit over the stock Grand Sport brakes and spindles that were custom made about 10 years ago. My understanding is these are a rare set of wheels. I'm a Mechanical Engineer by both education and occupation, so I am CAD modeling the new frame and hopefully if I can 3d scan the interior, the cage as well. So far, everything has basically fallen into place that the front control arms fit around the engine and the rear control arms fit around the transaxle. For steering, I am using a smart car steering rack with custom machined spacers to bring it out to the correct width. I've ordered a set of viking coilovers for all four corners as well. Engine management is taken care of with a Holley Terminator X that was recently released. I'm still trying to figure out a cost affordable solution to axles that can withstand hard manual transmission launches on slicks. I've got a few other neat things planned for this build that should set it apart and make it unique, but I don't want to reveal them until I'm sure I can make it all work like it does in my head. I've attached a few pictures of where we are now.

Wheel and tire mockup, ride height will be slightly lower than this and the front wheel will be inset a little bit more

We ended up cutting the entire trans tunnel out of the truck to get it low enough over the torque tube

The LSA blower fits under the hood! all factory body panels for this build

okay, exterior body panels. the firewall might have gotten clearanced a little bit

The factory hilux rear tubs jusstttt swallow up the 11.5" slick

start of the frame model, certainly not done and will likely change a lot before its finalized

start of the frame model, certainly not done and will likely change a lot before its finalized

Old 04-22-2019, 04:52 PM
Vetteman Jack
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,632 Likes on 3,940 Posts
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I’m going to move this over to the Other Cars section. See if you get any responses there - if not, we can look at other alternatives.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:49 PM
TLS_Addict
CF Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Very cool.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:47 AM
1998prince
CF Senior Member

Nice. Looks like you should have enough meat for traction, but probably need to move as much to the back for weight distribution. Battery, gas tank, etc.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:57 AM
hambler

Originally Posted by 1998prince View Post
Nice. Looks like you should have enough meat for traction, but probably need to move as much to the back for weight distribution. Battery, gas tank, etc.
Yup that's the plan, gas tank will be two tanks on either side of a center exit exhaust behind the transaxle. Battery will be lithium ion and under the bed somewhere towards the back. Before I took the truck apart, it was 2400lbs with a 57/43 front/rear weight distribution. With the transaxle in the back and gas tank moved back, I'm hoping to nail 50/50 weight distribution pretty closely. Nice thing about being significantly lighter than a stock corvette is that you have less weight to accelerate, so it's easier to keep traction.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:02 AM
hambler

Also spent some time last night redesigning the center of the frame with some bolt in bracing. The plan is to have a removable front clip so the engine slides straight out the front, then the torque tube and transaxle will drop straight out of the bottom.

Last edited by hambler; 04-23-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:50 PM
morepwr
CF Senior Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Awesome project! I love hot rods so a build like this is just fantastic. I look forward to following this.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:15 AM
cuisinartvette
CF Senior Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 1,164 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

what an awesome project!!

Making it fit...thats hot rodding. Bet the word "full bolt ons" makes you laugh!
Old 05-03-2019, 05:24 PM
GTOguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,252 Likes on 946 Posts

That is coming along very nicely! Reminds me of a guy I knew in the late '70's....he had a primer red, junky looking '74 Chevy Luv fleetside pickup.....that he put a '65 Corvette 327 in with the Muncie 4 speed. He welded up the spider gears for a locker at the rear. Ran stock black wheels with the crappy truck rated bias ply tires. Truck looked stock, all worn out and beaten down. The guy delivered auto parts with it, and when he left our store, he'd do about a 400 foot long burnout every time. Hilarious. Still remember it like yesterday. That Toyota is gonna be badass. I daily drive my 1983 Toyota Hilux 4x4 (all original including paint) as I have for the past 25 years. The thing is as reliable as an anvil. Mine's yellow, too. With those silly stick on reflective murals of a cowboy on a horse. I love it.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:46 PM
1985 Corvette
CF Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Jesus, other cars section going ape **** with the awesome projects! Between yours and that Camaro on a C5 chassis thread, kinda hard to pat myself on the back for my little stuff in the garage. Keep up the great work!
Old 05-06-2019, 09:35 AM
hambler

Originally Posted by morepwr View Post
Awesome project! I love hot rods so a build like this is just fantastic. I look forward to following this.
Weird to here it called a hot rod, as I think of hot rods being cars much older than this and built in an older style- but I guess this is like a modern take on hot rodding!

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
what an awesome project!!

Making it fit...thats hot rodding. Bet the word "full bolt ons" makes you laugh!
It all fits fine! Once you remake the frame and cut out parts that don't fit sometimes I wish I would be content with having a "full bolt ons" car... life would be easier

Originally Posted by GTOguy View Post
That is coming along very nicely! Reminds me of a guy I knew in the late '70's....he had a primer red, junky looking '74 Chevy Luv fleetside pickup.....that he put a '65 Corvette 327 in with the Muncie 4 speed. He welded up the spider gears for a locker at the rear. Ran stock black wheels with the crappy truck rated bias ply tires. Truck looked stock, all worn out and beaten down. The guy delivered auto parts with it, and when he left our store, he'd do about a 400 foot long burnout every time. Hilarious. Still remember it like yesterday. That Toyota is gonna be badass. I daily drive my 1983 Toyota Hilux 4x4 (all original including paint) as I have for the past 25 years. The thing is as reliable as an anvil. Mine's yellow, too. With those silly stick on reflective murals of a cowboy on a horse. I love it.
Love hearing stories like these! There may be a Corvette/Luv marriage in the future for my racing partner if this build works. Sounds like a great daily! I'm a big fan of yellow cars, and it is half the reason I bought this truck.

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette View Post
Jesus, other cars section going ape **** with the awesome projects! Between yours and that Camaro on a C5 chassis thread, kinda hard to pat myself on the back for my little stuff in the garage. Keep up the great work!
Thanks for the kind words, it helps motivate! I'm certainly not doing this alone, so don't feel bad... getting any project done is something to be proud of!
Old 05-07-2019, 01:47 PM
hambler

I'm pretty happy with my progress from this past weekend, although my racing partner is working hard to get his off road buggy done for a race next week so he couldn't help me, but luckily I convinced one of my friends to come suffer with me on Sunday. I got the frame rails on the table, squared and clamped down. I also started making the cross members, although they aren't quite done and still need to get final positioning and tacked in. In order to get the frame rails low enough to go under the bed, narrow enough to bring the suspension in so we don't have to widen the truck, and not make the car so low it's undriveable, we had to cut some chunks out of the rear differential housing mounting flanges on both sides. We'll just tig some plates back in later to cover up the holes we made. We also came up with a plan that should allow us to put the front tie rod's in the same location as they were on the corvette, despite sliding the engine several inches forward relatives to the front the wheels.

The left tire is about where it will be, the right tire I couldn't get in far enough because some idiot put the vertical standoff too far out (It was me. I'm the idiot)

clearance is clearance, right?

Old 05-08-2019, 04:55 PM
ttboost1
CF Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hard to tell from the photos, but you may want to consider making any interior frame panels removable, so the drive line can be serviced without dissembling the entire vehicle. Including the bell housing area in case you ever need a clutch.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:08 PM
hambler

Originally Posted by ttboost1 View Post
Hard to tell from the photos, but you may want to consider making any interior frame panels removable, so the drive line can be serviced without dissembling the entire vehicle. Including the bell housing area in case you ever need a clutch.
We've definitely thrown that idea around, but we're leaning more towards welding the cage to the body, then having it be a "bolt in cage". The idea would be to have all fluids (brakes, clutch, etc) on dry breaks and only have one or two electrical connectors. The front end could then be pulled off in a few minutes, the cab could be pulled off with two guys in like a half hour, and the bed could then be pulled off in like 10 minutes and the entire drivetrain would be left accessible. My understanding is that to do a clutch in a corvette you have to drop the transaxle anyway to get the torque tube out.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:35 PM
Synergyperf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is so bada$$! I can't imagine how fast that little truck is going to be. Fantastic work and seriously, awesome project..
Old 06-24-2019, 11:22 AM
hambler

Well after not making much physical process for the last several weeks due to being caught up with other race cars, I finally got back on the truck this weekend. With drag week just a little over 2 months away, the pressure is definitely on. I got the rear subframe built and all the rear a arm mounts done. Now I just need to finish modifying the steering rack, make a rear tie rod mount and make shock mounts and then I will have a rolling chassis! Next is exhaust, and then cage. Once those two things are done, everything else should just be plug and play putting the truck back together.

Old 07-08-2019, 03:19 PM
hambler

Got the steering rack figured out this weekend, because we moved the front wheels back 3" relative to the engine compared to the corvette, the steering rack wanted to be in the same real estate as the crank pulley and oil pump. I had my buddy CNC some steering rack extensions which allow us to mount the steering rack below the engine, and retain the factory bump steer geometry. I am a little worried about the moment I've introduced to the steering rack that will try to bend it, however as it is about half the length of the original rack I'm hoping it will be okay. Lots of close monitoring when we first finish the build and put a wide sticky tire on the front. I want to redo the rear suspension mounts a little bit, but we got all the suspension bolted on and mocked up wheel clearance and cycled the suspension and there were only a few minor areas that will need clearancing. I cant wait to get this thing out on a road-course or autocross track eventually, the chassis looks like a scaled up RC car with the proportions of the tire size to track width.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:12 PM
CamaroAJ
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you put any accessory drives on it yet to see if it will fit?
Old 07-08-2019, 10:17 PM
hambler

Not yet, we’re working on that this week. Hoping to do a high mounted alternator on one side and ac compressor on the other

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '13 Grand Sport drivetrain in a '74 Hilux

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: