Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Other Cars
Reload this Page >

Temper Camaro '69 with C5 chassis swap

Notices
Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Temper Camaro '69 with C5 chassis swap

Old 05-25-2019, 11:32 PM
CamaroAJ
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This week I got the driver floor bonded together and wrapped with 12k carbon fiber. I ran out of both epoxy and carbon so I wasn't able to get the rest of the floor panels done so I'll have to put that off until I get more.

Today though I got quite a bit done on the firewall. I finished cutting off the upper cowl to access the bottom and got the main middle section shaped, bead rolled and welded in. I'm undecided how I want to finish the passenger side of the firewall so I focused on the driver side and got most of that done. I feel that I'm more than likely going to have to cut off the fender mounts and make my own to get everything to look right and not just patched together. I also need to mount my wiper motor since I'll be able to retain stock style wiper transmission and not have to go after market making the firewall the way that I did. I think that I'm going to mount my ECM to the firewall behind the supercharger since there is a lot of room there and it will keep the engine bay clean with less wiring.

Anyways, heres some pictures since thats all thats really important lol.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:01 AM
CamaroAJ
CF Senior Member

Doesn't feel like I got a lot done Saturday since I cut more off the car then I welded back on, but overall it was quite a bit of progress. I started out with getting the bumper brackets bonded to the bumper and all of that lined up.

While the bumper was curing I went back to work with the firewall. I hammer and dollyed the upper wiper cowl straight again and got it clamped back on and lined up and the wiper bases in so the cowl would line up right. With that set I was able to start the middle section of the firewall. I hammer and dollyed a round curved edge to match the curve of the cowl and got the bottom side welded and metal finished. The hard part will be filling all the small pieces now. I think I'm going to build a jig and cut off the stock fender mounts so they don't look scabbed together and all flows well.

Since I've already made reference in this thread on another message board I started on the wide body fit up. I cut the front and rear flanges off and used my shrinker across the top and on both sides of the wheel arch. This was just a light shrink as I can always go more and I didn't have the car here when I did it. I took the quarter over to my trailer and laid it over. I'll get back on this once the firewall is done, but so far I've gained almost 2" with it just set on it. With it held tight and the calibrated eyeball it's right about 1 3/4" wider.

Last edited by CamaroAJ; 06-03-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:43 PM
CamaroAJ
CF Senior Member

I was still recovering from a cold on Saturday so I didn't feel like breathing in welding fumes and grinder grid and I took a pause from the firewall. Still needing to get work done I did a quick and dirty rough fit check on the front wheels. I need to get my measurements solid so Boze Forged can build me some wheels for the car. The wheel I want is a 19x10 and It will work, but I think I'll be doing some mods to the fenders for tire clearance.

After that was done I got started on the driver rear wide body. I started with getting the rough fitment of the new quarter laid over the old one. Once I got that close I rough cut the old quarter off. After getting the new panel fit even closer I was able to cut the tub so I could make the extension. I gained 2" so I should be able to get a 335 under there now. Lots of shrinker work slowly and lots of fit checks.

For the new outer tub extension I made poster board patterns and bent flanges with my bead roller and you get a scrap looking piece of metal. The Harbor Freight shrinker is actually amazing and does just as good of job as my mittler shinker/stretcher. I worked the metal threw it with light pressure on a big bite a few passes and then a medium pressure on half the lip followed by a few more passes on a whole bite to remove the ripples from shrinking. The pictures show how much it changes with just a little bit of work.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:31 PM
CamaroAJ
CF Senior Member

Saturday was a lot of fitting and on off on off of the quarter to get the outer wheel tub fit right. I did start with a 19x10Ē wheel fit check and Iíll have plenty of room for 12Ē wheels though.

The outer tub took a long time to get right and then get the end panel fit. I had to work it in the English wheel and the shrinker to get to fit right. I got the welding done and most of the grinding. I really wish I had a hand held planishing hammer as the takes forever, but those are expensive. With the wide body Iíve gained a little over 2Ē. I think the front door jamb area and the gills are going to be the hardest to get right when itís time to weld it on. The rest fits pretty good.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:28 PM
hcallaway
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Tremendous Craftsmanship

Impressive cuts your fabrication skills short.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:33 AM
CamaroAJ
CF Senior Member

Not a great update as I had a family emergency to deal with Saturday so I had to pack it in about noonish. During the week I put together a hand held planshing hammer as a $3000 one is out of my budget for the few things I'll need it on. I have about $75 invested in this one.

Friday night since I was going to make a lot of noise I waited until most the shop cleared out and went to work banging out my wheel tub. I didn't notice the curve until I already started welding and by that point it was too late. I'll hammer and dolley that out of the passenger side once I get it cut out. Made more work for me, but it came out pretty good.

Saturday I got back after the firewall now that I found all my wiper and a/c parts. I got one panel in and ground down before I had to go.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:06 AM
White Out
CF Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Amazing build.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:42 PM
CamaroAJ
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by White Out View Post
Amazing build.
Thank you.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:25 PM
CamaroAJ
CF Senior Member

Worked more on the firewall Saturday. This time on the driver inner cowl. Lots of cutting old stuff out, fitting the new panel, some English wheeling, welding, and grinding. Still have a few small areas to finish up, but Iíll get to that in a few weeks when I get to work on it again. I think Iím going to put the driver tulip back to factory looking and put my wiper motor back there like I had it.

I finished off the day putting the dash in. I need to fit a 3 gallon dry sump tank somewhere and Iím looking at the area in the corvette frame in the passenger footwell. There is a toe board there that ties the frame to the inner frame. Iím thinking I can cut out the top section and build an access panel on the bottom for oil changes. Iíll have to move the HVAC module to the middle of the dash, but it looks like Iíll have the room to do it. There is about a 5Ē deep area where GM put the fuse block and BCM so that gives me a bit of room to work with too.

Iím going to have to widen dash about 2Ē to get to the door jamb and lengthen the side panels. My other option is to build out the door panels to meet up to the dash. Iíll figure it out when I get the door mounted back up.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:43 PM
sublime1996525
CF Senior Member

Received 192 Likes on 71 Posts

Looking good man!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Temper Camaro '69 with C5 chassis swap

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: