Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Gen V Viper owners, come in.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 08:28 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Default Gen V Viper owners, come in.

School me on the changes from year to year on the Gen V Vipers. I know small increase in HP and some other small differences but what is up with the GTS vs GTC vs the SRT? I see there are two hoods. One has just one big swoop with a vent on each side and the other hood has three scoops on each side. Reverse scoops I should say. I can read reviews of test articles all day long. I want some real world people to give me their opinions on changes and how important they are.

I have heard of some engine issues but those seem to be in the minority of cars.

It would be mostly a car for the weekend or Fridays to take to work and not be a DD. Even so I work 7 miles from home. lol

I'm partial to black/gray/blue cars but not against any color. Red being my least favorite but with certain wheels it looks good. Black with the red/black interior would be my first choice.

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2019, 08:30 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

This is damn near perfect.

https://www.carolinaautodirect.com/v...ct-id-28952985
Old 06-07-2019, 08:06 AM
boldtx
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
School me on the changes from year to year on the Gen V Vipers. I know small increase in HP and some other small differences but what is up with the GTS vs GTC vs the SRT? I see there are two hoods. One has just one big swoop with a vent on each side and the other hood has three scoops on each side. Reverse scoops I should say. I can read reviews of test articles all day long. I want some real world people to give me their opinions on changes and how important they are.

I have heard of some engine issues but those seem to be in the minority of cars.

It would be mostly a car for the weekend or Fridays to take to work and not be a DD. Even so I work 7 miles from home. lol

I'm partial to black/gray/blue cars but not against any color. Red being my least favorite but with certain wheels it looks good. Black with the red/black interior would be my first choice.

Thanks!
I had a 2015 I ordered direct from Dodge loved the car up until I sold it a few months back. The car only has 3,500 mostly pampered miles I did 1 half mile event back in 2016. Anyway when the new owner came to get the car it had a blown head gasket. I had heard of all the engine issues and thought it was somewhat of a crock. I am a believer now and would never own another one. Granted mine had the extended warranty Dodge did after the oil test of 10 years or 100,000 miles. But I had heard from owners that if you even did an exhaust Dodge would void that warranty. Just my two cents.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:15 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Thank you for your experience. I'm going to leave it stock with MAYBE mufflers but no header swaps. I am building an F-Body that will have quite a but more power than the Gen V Viper. I want the car for cruising and having some fun. It won't be a DD either. I would say a few thousand miles a year on it would be about it.

Most of the issues I have seen were 13/14 cars regarding bearing but a lot.of those seem to be people who didn't check their oil during break in and BAM.

How was the ride, shifting, generally daily use handling? Did you car have the wider tires, I can remember the option?
Old 06-19-2019, 02:28 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

I've owned a few Gen V Vipers now.. Currently Daily Drive one. Wonderful Cars in which I've enjoyed over 50k miles in. The engine issue with the blocks not being porperly rinsed was a small portion of cars in 2013-2014 model years. I believe most of those have been addressed. These 8.4 Mills are fantastic but they are all forged motors and seem to burn about 1qt/1k miles avg if you use the factory oil fill (0W-40). In my opinion alot of the other bearing issues are from people no checking the oil regularly and running them low. If i am remembering correctly jsut 1-2 qts low can cause problems. When you first get your car check the oil frequently till you get to know it..

As for explaining the different trims and options.. that could cover an entire book. These cars can be highly customizable and depending on who ya knew or if you used the 1 of 1 program had endless configurations. I would suggest considering finding which options you have to have and than find that car. expect to pay a premium for it.. pricing seems to be on the upswing unless the car has stories.. salvage, floor, etc.

hope that helps!
Old 06-20-2019, 05:04 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

I have one I like. It's a base SRT but....with enough options to take it up to the sticker of $120k. lol

It has the track package with sidewinder II wheels and some other odds and ends. Nice car and we'll priced but not sure its my color.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:27 AM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

LOVE the GTS. If the C7 looked remotely like it, full of sexy curves in all the right places, I'd have probably bought one when it came out. I think this design is timeless and will hold its value well for years to come. That, in spite of sounding like a UPS truck while at idle. But when it opens up.....oh yeah.

Some great background on the car here:

Fun to watch:

More Randy (who does the driving later on):

Last edited by SLO VETTE; 06-24-2019 at 01:53 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:26 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Coincidentally, the one I am looking at is red, sidewinder II wheels, black rear insert. Haha

Is it a sign????
Old 06-25-2019, 09:33 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,152 Likes on 5,984 Posts

I have been told they revised some of the panel molds for 2014. If you look at a 2013 in comparison the hood and front bumper gaps are larger. One friend is on his 3rd motor thanks to Dodge's extended warranty. That said, I love the cars. I'm getting a C8 this go around because:

1. A new C8 at $70K is cheaper than nearly all used Gen-V Vipers.

2. Gen V Vipers are almost all out of warranty.

3. No targa/convertible option unless you find one of the rare Prefix converted cars and spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:34 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

All good points. After having 1 convertible Corvette and 5 targas, have the ability to take the roof off does nothing for me. It's too hot in Florida most of the time, it's horrible on the highway (I refuse to be a guy with a top down and windows up).

C8 should be cheaper but it's also not hand built and the base Vette to me isn't a direct comparison to a Viper.

Warranty is nice though. lol
Old 06-29-2019, 10:41 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

this is my 2014 Viper TA black #5, it was clear of the cars that got dirty engines, but they did upgrade something like the venting under the valve cover(something all gen 5’s got) haven’t had any problems now at 10k on the odo, it been the best sports car I’ve ever owned so far. Get one you won’t regret it, just make sure all the recalls are done. Also I would go for a gts /gt model, it gives you electronic controlled suspension, you also get this on TA models , but they are not easy to come by
Old 06-29-2019, 11:46 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Beautiful car! Amazing looking.

I am probably going to suspend my search till the new year. Reason being is the family wants a pool so probably going to get that first and at the new year go for the Viper. If I put off the car I am going to have a 4 post storage lift installed so I can stack the SS and also do some routine maintenance work on whatever I buy.

For some reason the Gen IV really looks good to me but only in a few colors. I know it's sparse interior and not quite as fast as the Gen V but they can be had substantially cheaper.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:29 AM
cplabaunza
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love my 2014 GTS. It's Red with White GTS Stripes...has ~25k miles and no issues. Good luck with your search...
Old 07-08-2019, 10:56 PM
dsevo
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 96 Posts

Love my Gen V ACR. Best car I've owned/driven and can't imagine GM building something I'd want to replace it with, but who knows.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:07 AM
serpent
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

I'm at 16k miles, no oil burn issues. How do I know this? I've done 4 oil changes and everytime damn near empty all 11 quarts out. Maybe 10.5 being the lowest I emptied. I actually have a 12qt jug to hold the oil.
Mine is a 2015 SRT.

SRT is the base model and some can have the track pack which includes two peice rotors all around and the lightest wheels (sidewinder II)
GTS is the loaded version with better interior and sound system, but the less desirable 2 vent hood. Trust me, you will want the 6 vent.
TA is the special edition limited in production, 93 orange, 31 white, 31 black. They made white and black TA's after 2014, but the real McCoy with matching vin and passenger plaque are the ones going for more $$$.
ACR has the fat *** wing, carbon rotors, 6piston caliper front, front fender vents.

Now some of these options can be had on other cars. Theres also a less desirable TA 2.0. With a puny wing that apparently doesnt have anywhere near as much downforce as the ACR.

I ******* love mine, almost got a c7z, but found my Viper and it was too good to pass up. It's a ******* beast and if you have deep pockets they can run a twin turbo system and not worry about internals till after 1200hp. Check out calvo motorsports and nth moto.. also vengeance racing (known for nodding GM cars), has an orange one that is insane, putting out over 2000hp.

You will love it and have 0 regrets. I post here because I do not have brand loyalty, I'd love to have a zr1 parked next to my viper in the garage.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:33 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by serpent
I'm at 16k miles, no oil burn issues. How do I know this? I've done 4 oil changes and everytime damn near empty all 11 quarts out. Maybe 10.5 being the lowest I emptied. I actually have a 12qt jug to hold the oil.
Mine is a 2015 SRT.

SRT is the base model and some can have the track pack which includes two peice rotors all around and the lightest wheels (sidewinder II)
GTS is the loaded version with better interior and sound system, but the less desirable 2 vent hood. Trust me, you will want the 6 vent.
TA is the special edition limited in production, 93 orange, 31 white, 31 black. They made white and black TA's after 2014, but the real McCoy with matching vin and passenger plaque are the ones going for more $$$.
ACR has the fat *** wing, carbon rotors, 6piston caliper front, front fender vents.

Now some of these options can be had on other cars. Theres also a less desirable TA 2.0. With a puny wing that apparently doesnt have anywhere near as much downforce as the ACR.

I ******* love mine, almost got a c7z, but found my Viper and it was too good to pass up. It's a ******* beast and if you have deep pockets they can run a twin turbo system and not worry about internals till after 1200hp. Check out calvo motorsports and nth moto.. also vengeance racing (known for nodding GM cars), has an orange one that is insane, putting out over 2000hp.

You will love it and have 0 regrets. I post here because I do not have brand loyalty, I'd love to have a zr1 parked next to my viper in the garage.
I have a real MyCoy black 2014 TA the numbers were 93 orange, 33 Black, and 33 white
Old 07-09-2019, 01:41 PM
serpent
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
I have a real MyCoy black 2014 TA the numbers were 93 orange, 33 Black, and 33 white
What he said, 93, 33, 33.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:37 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

I have expanded my search to gen IV cars as well. The Gen V to me is sleeker and sexier, interior is leaps and bounds ahead, and the tech is better for the radio. That being said the Gen IV to me looks more evil. My intended use is weekends and mostly just short trips. For that the Gen IV is fine by if it was a DD the Gen V would get the job

Here are a few I am looking at. Planning to go try and drive one of them this weekend. This doesn't mean I wont get a Gen V but the gen IV is also on my radar. Still a soft spot for the Gen II GTS.

So far the orange one is my favorite. The red a close 2nd.

Last edited by TLS_Addict; 08-27-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Gen V Viper owners, come in.

Quick Reply: Gen V Viper owners, come in.