Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Series I or Series II E-type owners in FL - Can you help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 08:32 AM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Default Series I or Series II E-type owners in FL - Can you help?

I am looking to get into an E-type in a year or so. I am hoping there might be a forum member(s) who might be familiar with these cars who wouldn't mind sharing some of his/her knowledge, and spending an hour or so with me. Please PM if you can help. Thank you
Old 06-13-2019, 07:49 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Do you mean "E-Type", as in Jaguar?
Old 06-13-2019, 09:20 AM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Do you mean "E-Type", as in Jaguar?
I do indeed.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:37 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

FWIW, one of my friends had an XK-E coupe, back in the late 80s, I think it was. I believe it was a Series one, as it had the smaller grill opening. I had the opportunity to drive it, and I was surprised at how "truck like" it handled. I immediately gained a LOT of respect for the men who raced them. And living here in the northeast, it was easy to see that they easily rusted, if not stored in the winter, and/or given a lot of TLC.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:40 AM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

As Corvette owners, at least owners of the older 'vettes, we are no strangers to rust.
Thanks
Old 06-17-2019, 12:56 PM
Captainahab
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I’ve never owned one but I have restored quite a few. Actually just finished a series 3 and my next project is a series 2.
pros.
They're absolutely stunning when done well. The body lines are just perfect
cons
everything else
they run like ****, they rot out in places I can’t even understand how rot got there. They weren’t collectible when they were original so most people used them as a daily driver and daily drivers get abused. I’ve never seen one that didn’t have a tremendous amount of bodywork. If you buy one to restore just know it’ll most likely have rot and lead and need a good amount of work. I’m averaging around $75k to restore them to driver quality. If you buy one already restores be aware that it’s going to cost a fortune
Old 06-30-2019, 07:43 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Anyone?

Thank you
Old 07-01-2019, 08:07 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cor66vette
As Corvette owners, at least owners of the older 'vettes, we are no strangers to rust.
Thanks
While this may be true, Corvettes have always been "traditional" body on frame cars. Yes, the "birdcage" on the C-2s and C-3s can rust, which will throw a wrench in the project, but serious frame rust can be dealt with by slipping another frame under the body. The E-Type Jag has a subframe in front, but the rear is of "unitbody" construction, so when the rust begins, it's compromising structural integrity.

Originally Posted by Captainahab
I’ve never owned one but I have restored quite a few. Actually just finished a series 3 and my next project is a series 2.
pros.
They're absolutely stunning when done well. The body lines are just perfect
cons
everything else
they run like ****, they rot out in places I can’t even understand how rot got there. They weren’t collectible when they were original so most people used them as a daily driver and daily drivers get abused. I’ve never seen one that didn’t have a tremendous amount of bodywork. If you buy one to restore just know it’ll most likely have rot and lead and need a good amount of work. I’m averaging around $75k to restore them to driver quality. If you buy one already restores be aware that it’s going to cost a fortune
Sounds like you have quite a bit of experience with these cars. "cor66vette", after reading this, do you still REALLY want to mess with one of these cars?

BTW, something that "Captainahab" didn't mention, was the electrical systems of early Jags was VERY questionable.....
Old 07-01-2019, 08:30 AM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by leadfoot4

... "cor66vette", after reading this, do you still REALLY want to mess with one of these cars?

Thanks, "leadfoot".

I do know about the rust and electrical issues, and about the body itself being the actual support for the whole show. As you point out, there is no frame. I am doing my due diligence in my search. I posted this on the forum hoping a member owns one, and would be willing to give me a "tour" of his/her car, so I can learn more.

Call me a glutton for punishment, but I've wanted one since I was a kid. Now that I'm a kid again, I'll take the plunge.

I appreciate your comments and input.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:07 PM
RandolphB
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

There weren't a lot around Central Florida, even when new. Back then they got stolen on a regular basis and stripped. It was also amazing how many T-Buckets back in the day had what appeared to be brand new independent rear suspensions in them. Knew a guy whose car got stolen 4 times, and the insurance company dropped him after replacing so many rear ends in it.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:04 AM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RandolphB
There weren't a lot around Central Florida, even when new. ...
I'm thinking there might be some xke enthusiasts amongst the retirees and non-retirees who migrated to FL.
You'd be surprised, but there are several Jaguar clubs in FL, and yes- I reached out to them.

Get notified of new replies

To Series I or Series II E-type owners in FL - Can you help?