Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

AC problem in ‘06 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 04:55 PM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 133 Posts
Default AC problem in ‘06 Silverado

I had a whole lot of problems with this truck after it sat outside untouched for nearly a year. Severely rusted rotors, 2 dead batteries, dry-rotted tires and now the AC doesn’t blow nearly as cold as it once did.

I’m guessing it must be a refrigerant issue since the AC isn’t blowing hot air, just a little cool air. Some years ago I bought one of those E-Z Fill AC kits but never used it. Before I get into that kit is there anything I maybe missing or testing first? I have little experienced in AC work, but I’d like to use what I have and learn what I can.
Looking for help walking me through any inspection or procedure to verify what is or what can be wrong causing the current issue.

thanks,
Rich
Old 06-11-2019, 08:12 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Make sure the compressor clutch is engaging and staying engaged when the A/C is on. A low refrigerant charge will cause the compressor clutch to engage/disengage rapidly. If the kit you have has a gauge on it you could hook it up to the low side port and read the pressure, but many of those gauges only give a "ballpark" reading, and to properly troubleshoot an A/C system you need to check both the high and low side pressures.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:47 PM
Capn Hook
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Why not do it right? Take to someone that can pull a vacuum for at least an hour to check for leaks. If it’s leaking, fix it properly. The long run, your ahead with reliability day in and out. Otherwise you’re just throwing your $$ away with those “fixit” a/c products.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:14 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Did the blend door actuators do their relearn after the battery change? Are any sticking? If one actuator fails or the relearn ia interrupted it defaults to 50/50 on the temp blend door and iirc recirculate will be inoperable. Been there done that on my cousins truck. He has an 04 though.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:13 AM
RandolphB
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
Did the blend door actuators do their relearn after the battery change? Are any sticking? If one actuator fails or the relearn ia interrupted it defaults to 50/50 on the temp blend door and iirc recirculate will be inoperable. Been there done that on my cousins truck. He has an 04 though.

This. Plus far more. It's rarely ever something simple like low freon or a pressure switch. It's usually blend doors, blend doors not synced or the climate control is screwed up. You can replace a climate control...then you find out you have to find a dealer and hand them a couple of hundred dollars to program the control to talk to your system. I've been fighting my wife's truck for a month over just this. It goes from blowing ice cold, to no cold air, to cold air on one side, to the passenger windows and power seats not working, to the A/C working again......etc. It's cheaper to just take it to somebody with a GM Tech 2 reader and let them fix it.

Get notified of new replies

To AC problem in ‘06 Silverado

Quick Reply: AC problem in ‘06 Silverado