Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Lets Just Hope The C8 Has Better Quality Than My $60K POS 2019 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 11:05 AM
17GSC7
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Lets Just Hope The C8 Has Better Quality Than My $60K POS 2019 Silverado

Over in the truck forums the 2019 Silverado has been a colossal quality failure. Myself already having two front differential failures and lots and lots of electronic gremlins. I can only hope GM does a better job with the C8. I am very concerned after seeing all the Silverado issues.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:19 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

So they haven't fixed the front diff problem after all these years? My 03 had a carrier problem when new... it's got 300k on it now and still whines but hasn't grenaded or anything yet...
Old 06-14-2019, 11:28 AM
17GSC7
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
So they haven't fixed the front diff problem after all these years? My 03 had a carrier problem when new... it's got 300k on it now and still whines but hasn't grenaded or anything yet...
No and my truck has only 3K miles on it. Many other problems and electrical glitches going on too. I so wanted to buy a C8 but after my fiasco with the Silverado I may never buy a GM product again. The worst thing is GM sends the Dealers engineering updates telling them not to fix anything because engineering is trying to validate the fixes. So you can't even get the vehicle fixed because GM is still trying figure out what the fix will be. Not a way to introduce a new model of anything but this seems like the new GM way.

Last edited by 17GSC7; 06-14-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:33 AM
orclubduck
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 144 Likes on 80 Posts

Yikes!!!
Old 06-14-2019, 11:50 AM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Maybe Ms. Barra's recent house cleaning terminated all the competent engineers.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:50 AM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

The C7 was not so great either. Many issues on the list for that one. Sure, the design was beautiful, but the build was real bad for the entire run, for some cars. The process is out of control (technical term) when some cars are perfect and others are real bad. Paint, panel fit, transmission, power steering, bent wheels, overheating Z06, and so on. We can only hope GM and BG learn from the past and that they want to do better for the C8.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:52 AM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

This sounds mighty familiar to a code that was brought up on my 18 Malibu with the mylink system. They are telling techs to tell customers sit tight until we have a fix.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:53 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Whatever happened to competence and quality? Even if it's not top-notch quality, there should be at least, reliability.

GM. Garbage Men.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:54 AM
SpeedyD
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 17GSC7
No and my truck has only 3K miles on it. Many other problems and electrical glitches going on too. I so wanted to buy a C8 but after my fiasco with the Silverado I may never buy a GM product again. The worst thing is GM sends the Dealers engineering updates telling them not to fix anything because engineering is trying to validate the fixes. So you can't even get the vehicle fixed because GM is still trying figure out what the fix will be. Not a way to introduce a new model of anything but this seems like the new GM way.
I just said it yesterday and I will say it again. GM is in a huge push to maximize profits even if cutting corners. They want people to pay the most for the least they can put out. Look inside the "all new" 2020 2500, it looks 5 years old. Not to mention it's ugly on the outside. After such a good run with the Allison transmissions this year they essentially are just stamping their name on a GM built tranny. It's a shame. I've been closely following Ram as that's a company who wants to be the best> not saying they are there now but they really seem to want to produce the best. I have a deposit out there for the C8 but likely will not move forward and will keep my Z.
Dan
Old 06-14-2019, 08:23 PM
imaposer
Pro

Received 437 Likes on 214 Posts

Not a reassuring thread to read. I want a new corvette. But, I have had my doubts as to the quality it will have due to my company going from ford to chevy 3 years ago, and at least 60% of us have dealt with issues within the first year due to poor quality of the vehicles. I've tried to tell myself it is likely due to us having fleet, bottom of the price barrel trucks and cars, but to hear they aren't any better on the $60k model trucks? That's worrisome.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:08 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,999 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by imaposer; roll snake eyes1599584928
Not a reassuring thread to read. I want a new corvette. But, I have had my doubts as to the quality it will have due to my company going from ford to chevy 3 years ago, and at least 60% of us have dealt with issues within the first year due to poor quality of the vehicles. I've tried to tell myself it is likely due to us having fleet, bottom of the price barrel trucks and cars, but to hear they aren't any better on the $60k model trucks? That's worrisome.
It's a crap shoot. I've had issues with BOTH.

One day a Ford has a warranty issue, the next day it's GM. Spin the wheel and take a chance. Sometimes you throw snake eyes.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:48 AM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe

One day a Ford has a warranty issue, the next day it's GM. Spin the wheel and take a chance. Sometimes you throw snake eyes.

I've seen so much bad news with GM over the last few years.

Massive problems with Automatic transmissions, heating issues with Supercharged cars, poor visibility with Camaro, etc...

Now I see tons of complaints with the 2019 pickups.

I really hope GM gets its **** together with the C8.

From what I've seen I want one.

I've got a C6 Z06 that has been trouble free, but again people complain about dropped valves.

I currently own a Lexus and a Honda as I have for Decades.

Never, ever had an issue with either brand. In fact, I can't recall ever using the Warranty.

A few BS recalls but they were small items.

The Japs take a long term approach to business, aka Seiko watches. One of the best brands on the planet.

If GM built a watch it would be called a "*******."
Old 06-15-2019, 07:48 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by imaposer
All except 2 of our fleet vehicles are pre-bailout ones... and those two have been in the shop for more recalls than I can count. They're not like they used to be. We had a couple fords back in the 90s and they were pretty nice inside but couldn't handle daily fleet use. By 100k doors would fly open around turns, coolant was leaking from freeze plugs, had a knock on one etc. Was the last blue oval product we had. The three GMC 3500s that were bought in 98 99 and 00 have a combined 750k miles on them now. Aside from electrical problems on the 98 (mainly due to the fact that it was involved in a massive wreck the week we bought it) they've been solid. Anything that had to be repaired on those trucks was out of lack of maintenance, not any inherent flaw.

And it sucks because about 10 years ago GM built some of the best trucks out there. Still won't touch dodge though. They may look nice but they're cheap as ****. Have a friend with a 16 and most of the interior crap is delaminating or worn out or whatever... not a good look on a low mileage 4 year old truck. Keeps on runing though.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:19 AM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,197 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by 17GSC7
Over in the truck forums the 2019 Silverado has been a colossal quality failure. Myself already having two front differential failures and lots and lots of electronic gremlins. I can only hope GM does a better job with the C8. I am very concerned after seeing all the Silverado issues.
If you would have test driven and compared a 19" RAM prior to buying the new silverado you would not be in this situation. It's not too late though. For the next week you can get $50 just for test driving one, trade your 19' in and get 25% off MSRP.

My dad has only owned chevy trucks until they turned into absolute junk in the 2000's. He bought his third RAM yesterday. The engine is better, the transmission shifts better, the ride quality is better and the interior is in another league entirely over GM's current crop of garbage truck and SUV interiors.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:34 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by proexpert
The C7 was not so great either. Many issues on the list for that one. Sure, the design was beautiful, but the build was real bad for the entire run, for some cars. The process is out of control (technical term) when some cars are perfect and others are real bad. Paint, panel fit, transmission, power steering, bent wheels, overheating Z06, and so on. We can only hope GM and BG learn from the past and that they want to do better for the C8.
It is amazing the things they get wrong after so much testing. Though GM never says it I think some of it is outside suppliers who win the contract cheap out to save money. But a lot of the mystery for me was solved when I went to the plant and saw high paid union workers that could be replaced by a trained monkey.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:20 AM
Texan79423
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 138 Posts

Well on my 2015 ford f 250 with 102,000 mile I had to replace a tail light bulb. Sadly I have not been back to the dealership. MY government motors 3500 duromax has had 4 recalls in 16 months. They know me by name at the dealership.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:25 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

My 18 2500 LTZ Duramax has been pretty much flawless, sans a rattle in the passenger seat when no one is sitting in it. Did receive a notice to not use the engine heater until they get the new parts to fix the problem with it. No problem here on the coast.

Other than that, it seems to do a lot of regens on the diesel cleanup when you're not doing mostly highway driving. But it still gets an average of 20mpg and much better on the highway.

Get notified of new replies

To Lets Just Hope The C8 Has Better Quality Than My $60K POS 2019 Silverado

Old 06-15-2019, 11:28 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Keep on the pressure. Research your state's Lemon Law and pursue it if you have a chance. Don't give them an inch. The only time a corporation will change is if their bottom dollar is affected.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:05 PM
imaposer
Pro

Received 437 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe

I get that. I had five fords in a row for work. When they decided to save money and cut us back from E250 hd vans to the stupid little transit connects, we all had constant issues. Instead of the company realizing the error was in the idea to downsize our vehicles, they decided it was a ford problem, so switched us over to Chevy. Now we're all in colorados or equinox(for a work vehicle!), and guess what? They aren't holding up either.

We have 3 cars less than 3 years old. My personal truck is a Ram. I had to take it in last month for some open recalls that involved the tailgate latch, and some software, but other than that, it's been perfect. My wife and daughter drive subarus,90k on an outback, 30k on an impreza. Neither one has had a reason to make a trip to the dealer for anything other than the free oil changes and 30/60/90k mile services. My hopes are to buy my wife a new convertible next year for her 50th birthday, and as a reward for becoming empty nesters. The timing of the new C8 works perfectly, but I'm not so sure it's the best way to go.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:57 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,150 Likes on 5,984 Posts

The C8 will be my first new car and first new Corvette... after my C7 experience I expect some flaws and some trips to the dealer. I'm not happy about it, but there sin't another V8 mid-engine car out there for $60-$70K.

Quick Reply: Lets Just Hope The C8 Has Better Quality Than My $60K POS 2019 Silverado