Notices
Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Love my Z06, but any Mustang fans?

Old 06-23-2019, 08:17 PM
RobGZ06
CF Senior Member

Received 442 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Ggpz06 View Post
In my state yes.
Did you do the deal?
Old 06-23-2019, 08:38 PM
Ggpz06
CF Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06 View Post
Did you do the deal?

Old 06-23-2019, 08:41 PM
RobGZ06
CF Senior Member

Nice!!!

I hope to do the same pretty soon. But i want that 10 speed auto though.

Also besides the common broken shift fork, also watch out of the infamous "bbq tick". The recommended oil ford wants for those engines seem to be no good. Others who have switched to slightly thicker weight has had better results.

We need more pics man. I love these gen mustangs.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:46 PM
TBIRD57
CF Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Ggpz06 View Post
I drove a 2017 GT premium with roush exhaust and xpipe 6 speed and I canít stop thinking about this car! The sound is amazing and itís just a very fun car to drive. My Z06 is King but thinking about trading in 2016 BMW 740i for a 2017 mustang GT premium!......Iím sure a lot think Iím crazy going from a 7 series to a teenager type mustang GT.

Most say y would you want a mustang when you already have a corvette?
dump that bmw 7 series asap.for lexus LS, Mercedes S class, AUDI 8, or Genesis 90 awd/ v8
i'd wait and trade the z06 for a C8......the C8 will join the more elite class of card from now on.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:01 PM
Ggpz06
CF Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06 View Post
Nice!!!

I hope to do the same pretty soon. But i want that 10 speed auto though.

Also besides the common broken shift fork, also watch out of the infamous "bbq tick". The recommended oil ford wants for those engines seem to be no good. Others who have switched to slightly thicker weight has had better results.

We need more pics man. I love these gen mustangs.
Yea Iíve heard about the tick or slap noise will keep out for it and I hope the forks donít brake! I do have a lifetime power train warranty but I believe clutch plate is not included. This car only had 8k miles. Owner had to trade it in for a Ford Edge bc his wife had a baby. GT performance package, rear spoiler delete, 3:73 gears and it has some Borla catback which I may swapnout for a roush catback. Only issue I have is getting used to downshifting 5 to 4 I hit 4 to 2nd gear few times oops!

Old 06-23-2019, 09:29 PM
RobGZ06
CF Senior Member

Damn man, i'm actually jealous lol. I love those cars. Not a total fan of the way they sound stock (sounds like a UPS truck) but can easily be fixed with a proper axleback. I think if or when i get my 18+GT, i'd go with a corsa. I think the roush IMHO, makes it sound more of a UPS truck lol.

The video i posted earlier, definitely subscribe to his channel. It's basically all ford mustang stuff. But the dude KNOWS his ****. From all years, all gens, the engines, what to do, not to do. And he doesn't parade his videos with fancy editing or special guests etc. It's just raw information about a particular car.

Highly recommend checking out his videos, besides the one i posted.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:05 AM
FAUEE
CF Senior Member

Received 560 Likes on 461 Posts

If I were to get a Mustang, it would be a 13 Boss 302. My dad had one of the Laguna Seca cars after his 997 S, but sold it LIKE AN IDIOT to buy a big truck and become a pretend farmer. He now says that truck is too big and he needs something smaller to be able to get around town and park. The Boss 302 is one of the best cars out there, tons of fun with few frills. Real old school vibe, but with SYNC and a modern engine that revs like crazy.

That said, I wholeheartedly support ditching the bmw. 7 series cars are for people whose next ride is gonna be the back of a hearse. I get at some age that comfort is appealing, but to me it just seems boring.

That said, an s550 mustang would not be high on my list of cars I would buy. They're totally fine cars, but they're also totally lacking in personality. They're like an imitation of the e92 M3.... so why not just buy the real deal?

EDIT: Looks like you did the trade. Congrats on the new car!

Last edited by FAUEE; 06-24-2019 at 07:06 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:11 PM
Svtracer14

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I went from a 2014 Shelby GT500 to a 2019 Z06. Both cars have their pros and cons, but I will say subjectively, the Z06 is a much more fun car to drive and outshines the Shelby in many areas of the driving experience. The Shelby felt unrefined in it's handling capabilities and did not feel nearly as planted to the road as the vette. The Shelby felt more raw when planting the pedal perhaps due to the manual transmission and live rear axle. Below I am outlining why I do not miss the Shelby, although the cars are probably just fine for folks who want to keep them 100% stock and not push them.

There were also several glaring weaknesses with the product that Ford did not address during the design and manufacturing process such as:
Powder forged rods that were tapered at the ends which caused them to be a weak link in the motor when modding and taking advantage of the RPMs the Trinity motor was capable of. I think the consensus amongst many 13/14 GT500 owners would be to pay more for the car upfront for a true forged rod like the Manleys in the 03/04 cobras.

Weak oil pump gears that have been a problem in Ford V8 engines in the S197 mustang that can shatter/break and cause loss of oil pressure. This condition occurs typically under higher RPM's, however the Trinity motor is designed to rev to 7,000RPMs. There are after market companies providing billet units for a low cost, which makes me wonder why Ford did not step up to the plate to upgrade such a weak part?

The rear axles were 31 splined units, but they are the same axles used in the V6 mustangs. With the heavy weight of the car (3850+lbs), massive torque, and when the tires actually hook, the cars are prone for bending axles. The real solution is a built 9" rear, as the Ford 8.8 is simply too weak to sustain launches on sticky tires no matter how many splines are in the axles.

2nd gear lockout. It is thought this is a design flaw in the linkage of the shifter to transmission. When matting the gas in 1st and attempting to quickly shift to 2nd gear, many owners have an apparent grind or lock out. It is somewhat remedied with solid shifter bushings and an aftermarket shifter. However, one cannot convince me Ford test engineers did not experience this behavior during preproduction testing.

And there are other issues that I could bring up that plague these cars, but I'm not here to bash the outgoing Shelbys just expressing why I do not miss the car.

Now the GT350's are an entirely different experience. I had the opportunity to drive a GT350 and it took some getting used to for the high RPM shifts and how well the car felt planted to the road compared to it's solid axle counterpart. Where it was lacking was in the torque department, but could obviously be addressed in the aftermarket with a supercharger and supporting components.

The up and coming GT500 will certainly be a game changer with the DCT and 2650 combo. I still do not know if I would trade the Z06 for one of these, even if it is faster around a race track and 1/4 mile. I personally love the removable roof of the vette and the overall aesthetic appeal the Z06 offers. So it would take a lot for me to personally go back to a Ford mustang no matter what model it is.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:27 PM
DoingOK
CF Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
CI VIII Car Show Winner

Had both for a little while. Just sold the 2016 GT Premium. Had a lot of work done to it (headers, Corsa, JLT intake, etc.). Nice looking car but no where near as fun as my Z06. My opinion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Love my Z06, but any Mustang fans?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: