Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Very interesting Camaro news given the Corvette going mid-engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 04:04 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Default Very interesting Camaro news given the Corvette going mid-engine

Mods... please don't move to other cars... this is C8 related because may discussions about the C8 going mid engine incorporate the fact that the Camaro would step up to fill the gap for the front engine platform.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...meplate-to-die

I find this very interesting... I still expect the C8 to be a $60K mid-engine, but surprised the Camaro is slated to be axed.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:27 PM
RJ-92
Race Director

Received 327 Likes on 156 Posts

Hmm, that is interesting as if indeed, the FE Corvette goes the way of the do-do, I would have thought the Camaro would fill that void.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:35 PM
General_TSO
Instructor

Received 142 Likes on 50 Posts

Very reputable original source as Muscle Cars & Trucks - friend of mine. He is always careful to not release something that doesn't hold wait, as he understands integrity well. Shame they're killing the Camaro. Even though the last couple of generations haven't been as fun as my younger self remembers the earlier models, this is still sad.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:37 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Please move this to the Camaro forum.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:40 PM
Steves LS6
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

I am not surprised. The current Camaro performs well but the whole idea is affordable muscle. 50k for a nicely equipped Camaro is BMW territory and most people in the market for a sporty coupe will buy a 4 series for that type of money.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:40 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

So not a total kill off but production to go on hiatus... interesting. I'm now waiting for the "this proves there will be a corvette sedan and etc." Posts to follow.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:41 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

can the 2+2 and 800 or so pounds heavier Camaro REALLY fill the void in the scenario where the FE Corvette goes extinct?
Old 06-25-2019, 04:42 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by tcinla
can the 2+2 and 800 or so pounds heavier Camaro REALLY fill the void in the scenario where the FE Corvette goes extinct?
I never thought so, but it makes you wander what GM's long-term plans for cars in general are?
Old 06-25-2019, 04:46 PM
NewYuriCity
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 86 Posts

Isn't this the same "source" that said the C8 will be un-tunable? I'll believe it when I see it, 2023 is a long way off
Old 06-25-2019, 04:47 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NewYuriCity
Isn't this the same "source" that said the C8 will be un-tunable? I'll believe it when I see it, 2023 is a long way off
With the new platform developed for autonomous driving, I would expect the C8 to be un-tunable.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:51 PM
General_TSO
Instructor

Received 142 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by NewYuriCity
You read both articles explaining that stance, correct? And the fact it came directly from Mark Ruess? So they weren't claiming it as much as reporting it...?

The original, which every one **** themselves over...

https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/...be-un-tunable/

And the second, to explain it in more detail for said self ********....

https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/...gives-details/
Old 06-25-2019, 05:00 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Kind of a shame to see it go. Leaving the Mustang and the Challenger the market. I am gong to assume that the majority of the F.E. guys are going to go Mustang, which to me, seems to be the cooler of the pony cars, and the original.Also it is the only one with an uninterrupted history. Guess Ford knew what they were doing with it.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:02 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

I don’t understand the FE/Camaro connection that continues to be populated on this forum. Who the hell decides that he’s not buying a Corvettes because it’s no longer FE and decides hey I’ll buy the FE Camaro, because I only buy FE “sports” cars.

Move this to other cars, has no bearing on the C8.

Chevy killed the Camaro once and if declining sales continue will do it again. No one in GM is thinking we have to keep the Camaro for the Corvette FE diehards...lol.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:08 PM
NewYuriCity
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by General_TSO
You read both articles explaining that stance, correct? And the fact it came directly from Mark Ruess? So they weren't claiming it as much as reporting it...?

The original, which every one **** themselves over...

https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/...be-un-tunable/

And the second, to explain it in more detail for said self ********....

https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/...gives-details/
Yes I did, including in the first article where the guy claims the LT2 will be a DOHC V8, and in the second article where Mark Reuss explains GM has to "pick and choose who are the good guys". I also know how competitive the automotive journalism industry is, and how necessary an attention-grabbing headline is. It could very well be true, but like I said I'll believe it when I see.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:12 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

I have said this since day 1.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:21 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
I never thought so, but it makes you wander what GM's long-term plans for cars in general are?

Very simply, GM has committed to electric and autonomous. Barra and Ruess have both been very clear about this.

The article even cited the transfer of the Camaro chief to the GM electric car shop.

Last edited by Red67John; 06-25-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:42 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by rcooper
Kind of a shame to see it go. Leaving the Mustang and the Challenger the market. I am gong to assume that the majority of the F.E. guys are going to go Mustang, which to me, seems to be the cooler of the pony cars, and the original.Also it is the only one with an uninterrupted history. Guess Ford knew what they were doing with it.
Yea but ford went mustang 2. You never go mustang 2. the first cars and the fox bodys are still some sharp looking vehicles. I'll take a fox over a third gen any day lol.

Get notified of new replies

To Very interesting Camaro news given the Corvette going mid-engine

Old 06-25-2019, 06:26 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I've been an "F-Body" fan and/or owner, since 1967, when my father bought a Camaro, which I took my driver's test in, in 1968. In later years, I owned a 1977 and 1985 Firebird, as well as a 1996 Camaro. Every once in a while, I get the itch to provide my C-5 Corvette with a "roommate", and considered a new Camaro. However, despite all the praise they receive from the testers, as automobiles, they're SO DAMNED UGLY, you couldn't give me one...….
Old 06-25-2019, 08:54 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,912 Likes on 1,357 Posts

GM does this every time with the F body. They did it with the Fiero, too. GM builds a sporty car, and then they don't update it. The 6th Gen Camaro from the public's standpoint looks identical to the 5th Gen. It has the same visibility problems. The same body style. We are now ten years into this car, and GM wonders why it is not selling well. Duh! Look at the Corvette sales. Same thing. No updates since the release, Sales drop.

Before someone says, "Look at the Challenger. It looks the same, and sales are going up." Yes, but Dodge keeps updating the car. There's a new engine almost every year, and new models every year. Ford updates their Mustang all the time, too. GM? Nope. Stupid.

I can pretty much guarantee that the C8 will come out in 2020, and the base C8 will be the same in 2027 and GM will again be wondering why sales are down.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:28 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Maybe gm will move the 2 plus 2 sports coupe as a corvette FE , along with the corvette c8 and add in a corvette crosstrek sport cuv...

the porsche nameplate was actually strengthen with various cuvs and sedans and that did not dilute brand equity...

who wants to spend 48 grand on a blazer RS? VEry few...but a fifty five grand corvette crosstrek would sell like crazy...especially if it performed like a tesla model y as an all ev...

chevrrolet can maintain its value brand image while corvette nameplate can carry even a two plus 2 front engine sport coupe...

i know many will say corvette isnt a brand but after sixty five years the corvette has greater brand equity than even chevrolet...

ask a consumer on the street what has better brand equity ? Chevrolet or corvette and Id bet 99 percent of the answers from john q public would be a quick corvette!

i cant say whats planned for camaro.....live or die.....

personally i think an alpha based 2 plus 2 shaped like the ferrari portofino would be a slick move.....

if gm keeps the camaro? Cool if not but produces a totally newly styled coupe off the alpha or stretched c7 platform...im cool with that too...

its been said the sixth gen camaro platform is the best platform in chevrolet....

i hope the alpha platform is saved...as well as the camaro..l

Quick Reply: Very interesting Camaro news given the Corvette going mid-engine