Notices
Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

No front engine Corvette or Camaro?

Old 06-29-2019, 07:26 AM
flyingbunnys
CF Senior Member

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Default No front engine Corvette or Camaro?

It looks like GM will no longer make a front engine sports car period. The Corvette is going mid engine and the Camaro is being discontinued.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.motor1.com/news/356610/chevy-camaro-discontinue-2023/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.caranddriver.com/news/amp27113416/final-chevrolet-c7-corvette-auction/
Old 06-29-2019, 07:29 AM
JerriVette
CF Senior Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 814 Posts

2023 is a long way off....

gm would be smart to make a hot rod awd soft roader five seater to replace the camaro...

thats what consumers are buying...

not pony cars

Last edited by JerriVette; 06-29-2019 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:50 AM
BIG Dave
CF Senior Member

Received 302 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingbunnys View Post
It looks like GM will no longer make a front engine sports car period. The Corvette is going mid engine and the Camaro is being discontinued.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mot...inue-2023/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.car...vette-auction/
Did you read the Camaro article? Nowhere did GM state the Camaro was being discontinued. It was all assumptions by Muscle Cars and Trucks magazine. Notice the use of words; “alleges”, “likely”, “might”, and “guess”. Here is what GM actually said:

“While we will not engage in speculation, we will remind you of our recently announced updates coming to the Camaro lineup this fall. An all-new LT1 model will provide customers V8 power with the design and affordability of our LT trim. The award-winning SS model will feature a new front fascia from the Camaro Shock concept. All of our updates are customer-driven to improve the car and its driving experience.”
Old 06-29-2019, 09:18 AM
Sub Driver
CF Senior Member

Received 759 Likes on 364 Posts

This is incorrect. GM Authority recently backtracked the whole story and said the next gen camaro is only delayed.
https://www.google.com/amp/gmauthori...et-camaro/amp/
Old 06-29-2019, 10:36 AM
Jeff V.
CF Senior Member

Received 1,217 Likes on 643 Posts

Uh huh. Just like the Camaro was on 'hiatus' after the 4th gen. Which for those of us that don't speak corporate bullshit, meant it was cancelled for 8 years.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:51 AM
benplace
CF Member

Received 109 Likes on 32 Posts

It wouldnt surprise me considering this...

looks better than this...
Old 06-29-2019, 12:00 PM
C8UR911
CF Member

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

the next gen camaro is being delayed because it will be radically different. It’s getting significantly smaller but will retain rear seats. It will basically be the size of a C7 and 911 with 2 useless seats in the back. it will take styling cues from the third generation Camaro. Lower, straighter lines, more streamlined.

Last edited by C8UR911; 06-29-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:48 PM
LIStingray
CF Senior Member

Received 410 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by C8UR911 View Post
the next gen camaro is being delayed because it will be radically different. It’s getting significantly smaller but will retain rear seats. It will basically be the size of a C7 and 911 with 2 useless seats in the back. it will take styling cues from the third generation Camaro. Lower, straighter lines, more streamlined.
That sounds like a plan made by some 50+ year old marketing genius that thinks Gen Z is looking for the second coming of those 1980's 2+2's.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:18 PM
Michael A
CF Senior Member

Received 467 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette View Post
2023 is a long way off....

gm would be smart to make a hot rod awd soft roader five seater to replace the camaro...

thats what consumers are buying...

not pony cars
If they are going build a 2023, GM has to start work now.

What's an "awd soft roader five seater"?
Old 06-29-2019, 01:29 PM
fasttoys
CF Senior Member

Received 411 Likes on 184 Posts

All I can say is NEXT!!!!! BY BY FE Corvette I will see you when I am in my ME C8. Its called Progress & its time to turn the page!
Old 06-29-2019, 01:48 PM
captain vette
CF Senior Member

Received 383 Likes on 282 Posts

Camaro to be discontinued is a fake news.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:08 PM
sprink94
CF Senior Member

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

If Mary Barra and GM want to sell Camaros....they need to bring back the 1969 body and put it on today's GM Alpha platform. I know this is a Corvette forum but I think this is worth a discussion. We have talked about this at some of our Corvette Club meetings.

This is arguably the best looking Camaro ever built. With this body paired today's Camaro chassis and engine technology...Chevy couldn't build them fast enough.

My problem with the Gen 6 Camaro is I can't see out of the damn thing. It's no surprise that both the Mustang and Challenger are out selling the Camaro !! If you are 6 feet or taller you can't comfortably fit in the car.

GM still has the stamping molds...so why not. Make it again while complying with today DOT regulations and it woll be a BIG HIT. I would buy one...anyone else agree ?
Old 06-29-2019, 03:51 PM
Mr. Peabody
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 187 Likes on 164 Posts

1) How do you know that they would still have the stamping molds? I would think that the cost of storage space alone would have sent the molds to the scrapyards long ago.

2) It would be interesting to sit in a meeting with the design engineers to hear their discussion about whether the old body style (which I agree with you is nicer looking) could be made to accommodate all of crash and other safety regulations and still look recognizable.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:00 PM
Red67John
CF Senior Member

Received 225 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by C8UR911 View Post
From the beginning, all pony cars, including the Camaro had useless rear seats.

In an article Hagerty sent out today, the author speculates that the next Camaro is only delayed and will possibly be going EV.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...9_Weekend_News
Old 06-29-2019, 05:07 PM
Red67John
CF Senior Member

Received 225 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink94 View Post
If Mary Barra and GM want to sell Camaros....they need to bring back the 1969 body and put it on today's GM Alpha platform. I know this is a Corvette forum but I think this is worth a discussion. We have talked about this at some of our Corvette Club meetings.

This is arguably the best looking Camaro ever built. With this body paired today's Camaro chassis and engine technology...Chevy couldn't build them fast enough.

My problem with the Gen 6 Camaro is I can't see out of the damn thing. It's no surprise that both the Mustang and Challenger are out selling the Camaro !! If you are 6 feet or taller you can't comfortably fit in the car.

GM still has the stamping molds...so why not. Make it again while complying with today DOT regulations and it woll be a BIG HIT. I would buy one...anyone else agree ?
I agree, the first gen a Camaro was the best, but having the stamping molds won’t help put it on the alpha platform. They would have to copy the old styling into new stampings that could integrate into the Alpha platform, which BTW appears to be going away as Caddy is not longer using it either. The new CT4 and CT5 use a new Alpha 2.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:43 PM
MitchAlsup
CF Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

If the current Camaros looked like and was proportioned like the 1969 SS Camaro they would be selling more than they currently are.

I for one do not like the high waste line and the pseudo-retro look.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:43 PM
sprink94
CF Senior Member

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody View Post
1) How do you know that they would still have the stamping molds? I would think that the cost of storage space alone would have sent the molds to the scrapyards long ago.

2) It would be interesting to sit in a meeting with the design engineers to hear their discussion about whether the old body style (which I agree with you is nicer looking) could be made to accommodate all of crash and other safety regulations and still look recognizable.
1. The drawings for the molds are archived and they are currently being used stamping complete bodys under licence to GM. https://realdealsteel.com/i-20900972...-deck-lid.html

2. Yes it would be very interesting. With the CAD engineering capability with Revit editions of Auto Cad, combining the two would be easy for the engineers at Chevrolet/GM. I think the largest hurdle would be getting the car thru the corporate politics and DOT/Government approvals required to it to market.

I have NO DOUBTS that it could be done....if there is enough demand, it could become a reality. Fast forward 3 years...if this car came to market, would it sell and be profitable? I say yes and you probably do too.

I think the reason that the Challenger has surpassed the Camaro in sales is not because it is a better product...but because it more accurately resembles the original '70~'74 version of the car and it's easier to see out of and roomier....as was the 'first generation of the Camaro.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:47 PM
FringbirdAloha
CF Senior Member

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingbunnys View Post

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mot...inue-2023/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.car...vette-auction/
Fake news
Old 06-29-2019, 08:59 PM
AORoads
CF Senior Member

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by sprink94 View Post
1. The drawings for the molds are archived and they are currently being used stamping complete bodys under licence to GM. https://realdealsteel.com/i-20900972...-deck-lid.html

2. Yes it would be very interesting. With the CAD engineering capability with Revit editions of Auto Cad, combining the two would be easy for the engineers at Chevrolet/GM. I think the largest hurdle would be getting the car thru the corporate politics and DOT/Government approvals required to it to market.

I have NO DOUBTS that it could be done....if there is enough demand, it could become a reality. Fast forward 3 years...if this car came to market, would it sell and be profitable? I say yes and you probably do too.

I think the reason that the Challenger has surpassed the Camaro in sales is not because it is a better product...but because it more accurately resembles the original '70~'74 version of the car and it's easier to see out of and roomier....as was the 'first generation of the Camaro.
And I say, I'd LIKE it to sell very well. But I don't know. And I have a feeling GM has tried to figure it out as well. And thus the current Camaro design.

Trouble is, too many see it the way some on this thread describe it: doesn't hit the mark, doesn't look as good, difficulty seeing out from inside, etc.

The real test imo is will it sell to profitability or will it have to be pulled before its planned production run. I think the latter (that it'll sell not as well as projected) even tho that current year, '69, and the first year '70 RS with the split-bumper were two of the best designs imo.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:13 PM
faninc
CF Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Camaro Gen 6

Amazing performance but too tight inside even at six feet tall. I had and loved the Gen 5 camaro SS. I went to buy a Gen 6 and sat in it. Uggg! At six feet I had to put the seat back and it hit the rear seat before I was fully comfortable. The inside height for me was horrible. Also owning a C7 Vette at the time I did not need another two seater! The trunk on the Gen 6 is a joke. The cavity opening is so small and narrow you are hard pressed to maneuver anything angled enough to get into the trunk. Golf bag even just one was hard to angle and place in trunk. Left not buying one and had greater appreciation for my C7! I also had a Challenger SRT8 roomy as hell and could fit everything in that trunk. Car drove amazing. Likely why outselling, comfort and muscle!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No front engine Corvette or Camaro?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: