Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Road Trip anyone...? now 'bout Bowling Green?

Old 01-07-2007, 05:02 PM
Vette80regon
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Road Trip anyone...? now 'bout Bowling Green?

reading a thread on the C3 forum got me thinking...It would be fun to cruise on a long road trip to the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green this summer.

Has anyone made this trip in their Vette? Best times to go? How much travel time does this require? Fun places to stay & eat?

Anyone interested in a "caravan/Cruise in"?

Andy

Vette80regon & OregonVette80
Old 01-07-2007, 07:06 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I went to the 50th Anniverasry celebration in Bowing Green at the end of June '03. Our group left Portland and it took us 5 days to get to BG. The legs went like this: PDX to Twin Falls, ID, then to Laramie WY, Lincoln NB, St Louis MO and finally Bowling Green.

One of the group set up an interary that included all Super 8 motels through AAA (cheap, free continental breakfast and decent rooms) and we usually found a nice place to eat every night. While it took 5 days to drive it, we weren't in a real hurry. You could do marathon legs of 900 or so miles but that's tough if you are not used to sitting in a car all day long.

We only stayed in BG for one night and spent the next 4 days in Nashville. We did lots of touring and left after 4 days. Nashville was fun as was the Jack Daniels tour, The Hermitage (home of Andrew Jackson) and on the way home we stopped in Memphis to tour Graceland.

We headed home going south to overnight in Little Rock, then onto I-40 to Oklahoma City, Alberqueque, Las Vegas on the 4th of July, then Reno and home. I put about 6200 miles on my car in 11 driving days. I-40 sucks when it comes to a smooth road.

One thing I found, that late June and early July is very humid in the South. Little Rock was horrible in terms of weather; 85+ degrees and about 90% humidity. BG and Nashville wasn't too bad in terms of weather but I would think that a month later it could have been pretty hot and humid.

Figure the cost will be in the $2000 range depending on the motels and what you spend for dinners and such. Gas is a lot more than it was 4 years ago. IIRC, we typically paid $1.65 to $1.75 for unleaded premium. Prices could go to $3 plus by next summer.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:35 PM
serge
Racer

Location: Olympia Washington 91 Z07 Coupe, 6spd, Borla Exhaust, Perf. Ignition, K&N Filter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would totally be willing to drive to bowling green, i actually thought about it before, let me know if you decide to go!
Old 01-07-2007, 11:23 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 908 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

Been there twice; (see sig)

The Corvette Caravan in both `99 & `03. The route was set up by the Caravan committees, but everyone made there own lodging reservations. Like C4cruiser said, it is a 5 day trip. We stayed in Boise, Salt Lake City, Denver, Independence, & Louisville in `99. If I were to do it again (next Caravan will probably be in `09) I would take another day and hook up with one of the California caravans just to stay off I-70 again.

Things to see on the way back -- In `99 we took the southern route (I-40 & Rt.66) thru MO, KS, OK, TX, NM, AZ, then north thru NV home. In `03 we went thru IN, IA, NE, SD, WY, MT, ID, and WA.

If you decide to go, post it here well in advance so some of us can plan vacation schedules!
Old 01-08-2007, 02:15 AM
skylark
Racer

Around memorial day I'm planning a southern route road trip to Georgia and I plan to return by way of bowling green . If the dates worked out for the return trip then count me in !
Old 01-08-2007, 10:02 AM
fc_soldier
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the timings right wit hthe militarty Im in.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Herringchoker
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "Man been singin' the Blues, since he began to till the ground"...Vancouver, USA WA.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good info, gonna do it SOMEDAY B4 I croak.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:46 AM
vetred
Drifting

In my not so humble opinion, The "Long ride" is simply the the most significant form of validation! For reasons I wont really go into I usually must go alone or with a veteran co-pilot! (My WIFE!) (We actualy DO fly low!) This is the first love I encountered in a very long love affair with automobiles!

Many years ago,...(It was a more elegant time) There were a few like minded people and for about a decade or more there was real magic!!! Today we are sooooooo deep into our self righteous indignation we simply want one penalty for every "crime",.... total destruction! This is why we usually go alone!

Last edited by vetred; 01-21-2007 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:07 PM
Corvettj
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default headed East

Several of us are headed to Bowling Green/Nashville first week of August, then doing DC and up north through Gettysburg and then home,

would love to have others join us

JC
Old 01-21-2007, 12:16 AM
Vette80regon
Pro

Originally Posted by Corvettj
Several of us are headed to Bowling Green/Nashville first week of August, ......would love to have others join us

JC
Hmmm...First week of August eh?

Get notified of new replies

To Road Trip anyone...? now 'bout Bowling Green?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Road Trip anyone...? now 'bout Bowling Green?