Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Front license plate law

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 01:20 AM
PaulC6Z
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Front license plate law

I was issued a ticket for not having my front license plate mounted, although I had it in my trunk and tried explaining to the LEO the reason for that and instead of listening to me, he was more worried about what I do for a living (I am Deuce's wifey). I am going to fight it, any tips???
Old 04-19-2007, 01:36 AM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You've got nothing to loose by fighting it. Often you can get away with it if it's on the dashboard but if there's a good reason for it to be in the trunk? You could try explaining it to the judge
Old 04-19-2007, 05:43 AM
Herringchoker
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "Man been singin' the Blues, since he began to till the ground"...Vancouver, USA WA.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you prove you now have it mounted, the ticket should go away. This happened to a friend of mine. Good luck!
Old 04-19-2007, 08:51 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Here's the RCW on front plates: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.16.240

LEO's will occasionally use a no front plate violation to stop a car and check people out. This may be why you were asked what you did, or any other questions not entirely related to the offense itself.

You should be able to get the ticket backed out; the court may tell you to have the car inspected by the WSP or local PD/SO and have them show on the ticket that the violation was corrected.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:25 AM
salsa1jim
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Herringchoker
If you prove you now have it mounted, the ticket should go away. This happened to a friend of mine. Good luck!
I've gotten one of those about 11 years ago, sorry, but for the life of me I can't remember if I ever paid a find on it or not. I believe you are right about just prove that you have on now thing.
I bought my vette with out front plate in Feb, I just recently order custom plate, seems like most of us don't want to mount plates on our vette cause it looks like hell. I'm doing the dashboard thing when I get mine.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on your out come.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:40 PM
skillzilla
Instructor

Originally Posted by salsa1jim
I've gotten one of those about 11 years ago, sorry, but for the life of me I can't remember if I ever paid a find on it or not. I believe you are right about just prove that you have on now thing.
I bought my vette with out front plate in Feb, I just recently order custom plate, seems like most of us don't want to mount plates on our vette cause it looks like hell. I'm doing the dashboard thing when I get mine.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on your out come.
I have my front plate mounted where it belongs...under the CD player in the trunk storage well.

-_Sf
Old 04-20-2007, 03:19 PM
salsa1jim
Racer

Originally Posted by skillzilla
I have my front plate mounted where it belongs...under the CD player in the trunk storage well.

-_Sf
Old 04-20-2007, 05:59 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skillzilla

-_Sf
Well at least yours is in the car. I think mine is still in the envelope the state sent them out in.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:33 AM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got cited about 5 years ago and it was just a fixit ticket. Took the car to a local WSP office and had an officer sign off on it. (and then removed the plate in the parking lot after the officer left. {:0)
Old 04-21-2007, 12:38 AM
vetred
Drifting

Tell them that you were waiting for the "mounting hardware" and now that it came the tags on,...... then drive around the corner and promptly take the *#@*! thing off!!!
Old 04-21-2007, 01:24 PM
RED99
Safety Car

That seems so stupid to have a front license plate anyway. I see some people you can't even read there back plates from never washing there trucks. How come they don't get a ticket? So far, I have never been stopped. And I will just tell them, I bought the car from a dealer, and they didnt' have a plate on the front, so I thought Corvettes was exempt.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:16 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by RED99
That seems so stupid to have a front license plate anyway.
The big reason we have front plates is that the coating on the plate is a metallic material that is very reflective. While it does make the plate brighter when a light is shined on it, it also is a great surface for reflecting radar and laser.

So when the state decided a few years ago to require new plates every 7 years, the underlying reason was that it is to insure that front plates can reflect these waves. And gues who really wanted the automatic plate replacement cycle?? The Washington State Patrol
Old 04-21-2007, 06:52 PM
vetred
Drifting

C4crusier has ABSOLUTLY nailed this down the real problem was the C-5s natural stealth qualities (this is NO JOKE!!!) The L.E.Os found it noticeably difficult to get a good reading from the C-5,.... every time. The law enforcement community got the general (motors) to put the big flat louvers in the front of the C-6 that light up like a Christmas tree!! UNLESS you follow the path of the best damn tuner that I know and ALSO remember that the future of receiving a traffic citation in the future will be with PICTURES so also look at the bottom of this page from T.J. Wong!!! www.blinder.net ("see anti photo")

Last edited by vetred; 04-22-2007 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:51 PM
seattle_vette
Instructor

My brother is a motorcycle cop so I asked him about the front plate. He said that it is sometimes hard to get a laser hit on a Corvette and that the front plate makes it easier. Great I thought - I don't have my front plate on. But, he also said that a missing front plate is a good reason for a stop and that if you don't have a plate on and you should, you probably won't get out of any speeding ticket because you have already demonstrated a disregard for the law. By the way, don't try any excuses for speeding, just own up to it nicely. They have heard it all.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:54 PM
PaulC6Z
Racer

Thank you fellas. My wifey is an attorney in Europe and works for a huge law firm here locally. Everything is a fight with her. We might all get lucky and she'll take this thing all the way to the supreme court.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:00 PM
boerio
Burning Brakes

A few comments.

I can actually think of one good reason to have front plates (in general). If someone is following too close, or otherwise being aggressive, and you want a way to identify them, their plate would be a good way.

I have been stopped (and cited) for not having my front plate in Oregon. The city cop said that if I take a picture of it and go to the clerk, I can get the charge dismissed. They charge you an administrative fee. This works for the first time you've had a ticket.

Jeff
Old 04-23-2007, 01:48 PM
f451degrees
Racer

I got pulled over the other day for no front plate. Had it on the dash, was told that was not good enough, mount it. NO ticket though. Unfortunetly It was by the house and he works that route.

Get notified of new replies

To Front license plate law

Old 04-23-2007, 06:25 PM
seattle
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

C5's are ugly with the front plate and they make the car look GAY! ("not that there's anything wrong with that"
Old 04-23-2007, 06:40 PM
boerio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by seattle
C5's are ugly with the front plate and they make the car look GAY! ("not that there's anything wrong with that"
And the front plate on the C6 looks better?

Jeff
Old 04-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Beer Kahuna
Racer

So, this probably won't work.

Quick Reply: Front license plate law