Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Cold Air Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 07:00 AM
aschiftner
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intakes

Hello, all. I am considering buying a Vortex or Hurricane Cold Air Intake but am a little sceptical on the hydrolocking associated with them. I live in the Pugent Sound area and drive my car in the rain often.

I did read a thread on this and so I do know that there is an issue.

Does anybody in the NW run or know anyone of running these CAI's and then having issues.

Thanks R/ Al
Old 06-23-2007, 10:01 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have the Breathless Performance Vortex on my '02 coupe and it feeds a Vortec supercharger. It is a big help simply because of the ability to take in extra air.

The biggest problem running with this type of intake would be going thru standing water. Wet roads and heavy rainfall should not be a big issue. The lower portion of the filter will most likely get wet and it will require more frequent cleaning and re-oiling.

In any event, you should avoid going thru puddles especially on freeways or arterials where you could get 3-4" of standing water. My car is lowered and the bottom of the air dam is only 2" off the ground. Going thru a 4" deep puddle at slow speeds could cause water to back up against the air dam and water "could" work its way up to the air filter cone. On my system, the cone is about 10" off the ground, and I think there would be a risk of some water being sucked up into the filter.

The installation of the Vortex requires cutting of the shroud so you may want to consider something like the Donaldson Blackwing intake system. It will flow more air than stock and the filter will be protected.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intakes