Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Legal street racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 11:28 PM
hotrod03
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Legal street racing

Does anyone know where people street race legally? Like maybe I am dreaming, but maybe someone who has a private roadway, land, etc. Sure would be fun. Just not interested in the drags, like PIR. I guess for me it is just wishful thinking.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:05 AM
Iroczlover
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only legal street racing is during the street legal drags at the track. Many states are starting to adopt a law that if you get caught street racing your car gets impounded & then crushed.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:31 AM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I' m not aware of anywhere around here where you can do that. I do know that every year SIR opens the drag strip to the high school kids so that they can all earn some braging rights for their street legal machines.

Saw an article on the net just the other day where in CA they made 4 young guys watch as their street racers were crushed at a junk yard as the penalty for getting caught
Old 06-24-2007, 02:15 AM
Iroczlover
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
I' m not aware of anywhere around here where you can do that. I do know that every year SIR opens the drag strip to the high school kids so that they can all earn some braging rights for their street legal machines.

Saw an article on the net just the other day where in CA they made 4 young guys watch as their street racers were crushed at a junk yard as the penalty for getting caught
Yea Pacific Raceways (the old SIR) does about 10 high school drag events a year. Alot of the time the kent & seattle cops will hand out drag tickets to the younger group telling them to take it to the track.

yea i saw that same thing.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:46 AM
RED99
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hotrod03
Does anyone know where people street race legally? Like maybe I am dreaming, but maybe someone who has a private roadway, land, etc. Sure would be fun. Just not interested in the drags, like PIR. I guess for me it is just wishful thinking.
You won't see that happening maily because of a fear of a lawsuit to the owner of the land if someone got killed. This country has got law suite crazy.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:31 AM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Received 938 Likes on 364 Posts

Woodburn dragstrip runs street legal drags on a regular basis. Not too far from Gresham either. It may not actually "be the street" but the atmosphere is similar and you can line up against whoever you want to race....
Old 06-24-2007, 10:49 AM
ZRWON
Melting Slicks

This is not really car by car street racing but it's as close as you can legally get driving as fast as you want to go on a closed highway for runs of 60 to 130 miles long. Your speed is limited only by your proven experience, safety equipment compliiiance, and personal desire/$$
http://www.openroadracing.com/
Here's what it looks like from road side as they go by you @ 200+ mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfDrjj7nd0Y#GU5U2spHI_4
This video was taken on hwy 305 between Battle Mountain and Austin NV last August at the Pony Express 130 mile. Pony 130 is scheduled weekend of Aug 24 thru 26 this year. I'll see you there
There are several other ORR events (some fewer miles; none longer) scheduled around the US.
GREAT SPORT if you really want to test your driving skills and the performance of your car...not for the faint of heart!
Old 06-24-2007, 05:43 PM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Manchester - Political correctness is tyranny with manners.
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

The title of this thread is an oxymoron. "legal" and "street racing" are not synonymous when used in the same sentence.

Last edited by DidntSettle; 06-25-2007 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:38 PM
Perfect Light
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 32 Posts

PIR has Street Legal Drag Racing.. but they have open track days too.... Check the Schedule
Old 06-24-2007, 08:47 PM
hotrod03
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Thanks for the reply's guys
Old 06-25-2007, 08:41 AM
HammerZR1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reply's guys
There is Street Legal drag racing in Winnemucca, Nevada twice a year. No Shiit. They run on a city street for 330 ft on a .500 Pro Tree. It's sanctioned by the City and brings a lot of people into town. Quick Eight and brackets as well as a Friday night Test & Tune and Jackpot race. They payout more than most tracks for the standard classes too. They are held in June and the week before Hot August Nights in Reno.

Contact Mike or Mary Lynn Kenner at 775-623-5577 for more info.

http://fifties-fever.com/
Old 06-25-2007, 10:54 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Every Friday and Saturday night through the summer you can go to PIR to drag race, and you can pick your opponent for a match race as well.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:02 AM
NW_Vettes
Drifting

Originally Posted by HammerZR1
There is Street Legal drag racing in Winnemucca, Nevada twice a year. No Shiit. They run on a city street for 330 ft on a .500 Pro Tree. It's sanctioned by the City and brings a lot of people into town. Quick Eight and brackets as well as a Friday night Test & Tune and Jackpot race. They payout more than most tracks for the standard classes too. They are held in June and the week before Hot August Nights in Reno.

Contact Mike or Mary Lynn Kenner at 775-623-5577 for more info.

http://fifties-fever.com/
I remember Texas having a place that did this a couple times a year too so yes it sounds weird but they really do have legal street racing in some places

Get notified of new replies

To Legal street racing

Quick Reply: Legal street racing